Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191786 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #960 on: March 12, 2013, 12:35:01 am »

I've had some success with a branching city. No grids, and no loops AT ALL. Everything branches out from a single main trunk road and branches further and further out with no roads ever connecting back to the main branch. Residential goes at the tips of the branches, and only the people who actually live in a branch will ever go there due to the pathing.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: March 12, 2013, 04:38:45 am »

In the strictness sense, it counts as a loss of sales to hand it out for free.

Not quite if the consumers don't intend to buy another EA game.

No, the 'intent' doesunt matter form an account point of view, from the strict business point of view.

And that 'intent' is such a bull shit framing anywhere.

It's only a loss if the alternative was a gain. If your choice is "either I don't give the players a game, in which case 1% or less of them will buy it, or I give them all a game for free", then the cost of the second choice is that you've lost a number of sales equal to 1% of the people who receive the free game.

I am not familiar with FASB, but according to IASB, EA's decision constitutes a rise of contingent liability, which basically is:
1. A present obligation arising for past events (their announcement of giving away a free game to SimCity owners); and
2. Whose existence can only be confirmed by the occurrence or non-occurrence of one or more uncertain events (whether SimCity owners will claim a free game or not)

Contingent liability is only disclosed by way of notes due to the lack of reliable measurement (EA does not know how many SimCity owners will claim the free game and which game they will claim). It will only be recognised in the financial statements if its existence is confirmed to be true.

When a SimCity owner claims a free game, the accounting entry will be debiting expense and crediting revenue, both at an equal amount. This is basically zero gross profit sales. Therefore, the technical definition of "loss of sales" does not hold true here.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: March 12, 2013, 05:07:04 am »

So: It's now about a week since release.

Are the servers relatively decent, now?

Are they showing any signs of bringing back cheetah speed and whatever other features they may have taken out?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Mr. Boh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: March 12, 2013, 05:23:07 am »

So: It's now about a week since release.

Are the servers relatively decent, now?

Are they showing any signs of bringing back cheetah speed and whatever other features they may have taken out?

The servers have been fairly good lately. I got one of those fake queues the other night but I left and re-opened the game and had no issues. They have not brought the disabled features back nor has there been an announcement to do so.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: March 12, 2013, 05:37:49 am »

Dang, I really did want to try this. It may sound silly but among all the issues, if they never bring back the full speed and such, that could be the issue that pushes it out of buyable territory for me.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: March 12, 2013, 06:01:13 am »

Wait for traffic AI fix first.. believe me...

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g418BSF6XBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WRZsadRvvM
and last one ( God there is much more... )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjznsQ9zsoI

Enough said.... and sadly thats only FEW issue and god is their a lot of them...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:13:07 am by jocan2003 »
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: March 12, 2013, 08:04:26 am »

I didn't do a total spiral. I did a zigzag because, as was noted, they don't like building on curves. Which is funny because curved roads is supposedly one of the great new features. Just curves at the end. I have a total of eight roads running east to west across the whole map. I did finally push over 40,000 before I went to bed this morning. This game kept me up way too long. I guess it's a good game, but there seem to be some serious flaws under the surface.

The biggest dilemma with a whole city without any intersections is the pathing for the emergency vehicles. They won't cross the road like all the cars will. (I used the set of roads without a median). So they will stream by a fire and go to the end of the road, which is very far away. But my buses were actually having more people travel them than there were people in my city. That was when I was at the 21,000 level or so.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:06:47 am by pilgrimboy »
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: March 12, 2013, 08:11:00 am »

Couldn't you do a square spiral? That would be more efficient.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: March 12, 2013, 08:19:47 am »

Just slightly rounded corners on a squarish spiral would be best, I think. That will be my next city.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: March 12, 2013, 08:29:11 am »

Also, it would have worked better on a flat map. But no congestion so far. And I noticed that my population dropped since I was playing last night.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:31:23 am by pilgrimboy »

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: March 12, 2013, 08:33:55 am »

That is epic. THIS IS THE FUTURE :D

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: March 12, 2013, 08:45:49 am »

The problem I encountered is that I didn't make as straight of lines as I should have at some points. And to go back and fix them, which I did for many, I would have to destroy my high school or sewage system. So the key, in my next attempt, will be to create as straight of lines as possible.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #972 on: March 12, 2013, 08:50:10 am »

The problem I encountered is that I didn't make as straight of lines as I should have at some points. And to go back and fix them, which I did for many, I would have to destroy my high school or sewage system. So the key, in my next attempt, will be to create as straight of lines as possible.
That is possibly the most annoying part about this game. Why can't I shut the school down temporarily so I can remove the road and replace it? Why MUST it be destroyed?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: March 12, 2013, 08:50:44 am »

There is only one problem with this system, those living let say on the right side of a road, want to go to a building on his left, he cant just get off his house and go straight left, he will have to go right up untill he reach the end of the road, go out of town, and do his 180* in the region map to finaly visit the building he wanted to go 2 block left. You get my point.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #974 on: March 12, 2013, 08:53:43 am »

There is only one problem with this system, those living let say on the right side of a road, want to go to a building on his left, he cant just get off his house and go straight left, he will have to go right up untill he reach the end of the road, go out of town, and do his 180* in the region map to finaly visit the building he wanted to go 2 block left. You get my point.
You could place a single piece of dirt road on each loop to create an intersection for them to turn around.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 98