Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191846 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #870 on: March 10, 2013, 02:44:12 pm »

I do wonder if Simcity 5 can be fixed with patches. I mean the major bugs is pathfinding and just how it distributes things.

I think what should have been done in pathfinding is that the game should treat the roads as normally and then apply percents at turns to see which way the agent will turn.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 02:47:00 pm by Neonivek »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #871 on: March 10, 2013, 02:46:30 pm »

Yeah. Feels good to still have it after a decade or so.

And yes, I figured I could mini-hijack the thread for the predecessor as well. :P
That's fine I suppose, but at least say you're doing so to avoid confusion. I was about to give advice on dealing with those things until I realized you weren't talking about the game that this thread is about. Causes confusion.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #872 on: March 10, 2013, 03:20:10 pm »

Sorry for trying to derail the arguments, but I need to have a trade depot in each town even if I want to make some sort of trade hub? Is that correct?

So my oil town should have a trade depot. Should it be set at use locally or export? If I have a trade town, should I have that set to import?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 10, 2013, 03:34:31 pm »

I do wonder if Simcity 5 can be fixed with patches. I mean the major bugs is pathfinding and just how it distributes things.

I think what should have been done in pathfinding is that the game should treat the roads as normally and then apply percents at turns to see which way the agent will turn.
It certainly can. Sim City 4 suffered from the same pathfinding problems.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 10, 2013, 03:35:47 pm »

It certainly can. Sim City 4 suffered from the same pathfinding problems.

Simcity 4's pathfinding was actually worse from what I recall. Regional transport would have a nasty habit of getting stuck in a transit loop, never actually reaching the destination. God forbid you have a branching regional highway, because that just compunded the issues.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 10, 2013, 03:36:09 pm »

Come on, people. I totally get the hate for the online DRM, but blurting out stuff like the servers being shut down in three years is quite the exaggeration. If it ever came to that, the company would patch the game so that the servers aren't necessary to play. Maybe they'd implement another form of DRM, or not, but they wouldn't take a huge dump on the hundreds of thousands that bought the thing and kill everyone's ability to play it. That'd just be a PR suicide. Come on.

Some people really seem to think certain game companies are truly, consciously and deliberately out to screw over their own customers. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I think you underestimate EA's level of negligence.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 10, 2013, 03:38:06 pm »

Come on, people. I totally get the hate for the online DRM, but blurting out stuff like the servers being shut down in three years is quite the exaggeration. If it ever came to that, the company would patch the game so that the servers aren't necessary to play. Maybe they'd implement another form of DRM, or not, but they wouldn't take a huge dump on the hundreds of thousands that bought the thing and kill everyone's ability to play it. That'd just be a PR suicide. Come on.

Some people really seem to think certain game companies are truly, consciously and deliberately out to screw over their own customers. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I think you underestimate EA's level of negligence.
On top of that, I don't think that the servers will get that much better just because it's after launch.
See: FIFA13.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 10, 2013, 04:03:34 pm »

Words in bold convey uncertainty. People paid $80 for uncertainty whether they would be able to play the game 5 years down the road.

And trust me, some businesses exist to simply make as much money as possible or short term profits, because that's how the execs performance is reviewed by the Board, which of course factors into how they are renumerated.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 10, 2013, 05:17:10 pm »

EA didnt 'screw up' the servers. There was 700k+ cities made in 24hrs of release. That kind stress is mind boggling and not a trival task to overcome. The number of simultaneous user is both unquie and at its zenieth at opening. No other game has gotten this much butt hurt over opening week issue. The only reason this game has gotten this butt hurt because its EA and you gotta mindlessly rag on EA.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 10, 2013, 05:25:18 pm »

I can't think of another game that forces you to always be online to play and then can't handle the traffic it's hyped up when it opens; and hasn't been called out for it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 10, 2013, 05:28:15 pm »

EA screwing players over?

Puhleeeze.

I bought Battlefield 2142 deluxe several years ago and now i can't play it because i lost the password.
Ok i thought let's use password recovery!
It says the e-mail was sent but nothing in my inbox/spam folder.
Ok so i try registering it on Origin.
No can't do (apparently i have to buy it again to be eligable).

Basically i just have a box with a game that won't ever work again.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #881 on: March 10, 2013, 05:32:50 pm »

I can't think of another game that forces you to always be online to play and then can't handle the traffic it's hyped up when it opens; and hasn't been called out for it.
Yeah.. World of Warcraft perhaps? That is EXACTLY the problem they had on launch. Servers were simply overwhelmed by the response and it was a week or more of constant downtime and maintenance.

EA screwing players over?

Puhleeeze.

I bought Battlefield 2142 deluxe several years ago and now i can't play it because i lost the password.
Ok i thought let's use password recovery!
It says the e-mail was sent but nothing in my inbox/spam folder.
Ok so i try registering it on Origin.
No can't do (apparently i have to buy it again to be eligable).

Basically i just have a box with a game that won't ever work again.
Did you try contacting their support? I mean... that game was pretty terrible, but if you do want to play it their support should be able to help you with your account.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 10, 2013, 05:37:40 pm »

Yeah.. World of Warcraft perhaps? That is EXACTLY the problem they had on launch. Servers were simply overwhelmed by the response and it was a week or more of constant downtime and maintenance.
And everyone went "Yeah okay this is fine" at that?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 10, 2013, 05:38:00 pm »

Diablo 3?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 10, 2013, 05:40:34 pm »

Diablo 3?
And nobody thought that it was okay. People were upset with it not working; and they're allowed to be.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 98