Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191866 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #765 on: March 09, 2013, 12:40:20 am »

oh wow ok

it seems i have chat in game disabled somehow, will message you once i figure it out

@etgfrog, my city in the random region we were playing in was fun, sorry I couldn't send more utilities to help out your mining outpost, I guess it turns out we aren't connected by road :/

@all, maybe catch up with you tomorrow if the servers are up!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:10:44 am by smakemupagus »

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 09, 2013, 04:01:43 am »

I have been wondering why this game doesn' t have a native option to run in windowed full screen/borderless windowed mode. It almost annoys me more than the fact you can' t play it.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 09, 2013, 04:23:29 am »

Also upsetting is that my old copy of SC2K exits if I try to load or save a game. DAMNIT EA!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 09, 2013, 04:56:37 am »

It's really fun how this thread alternates between 5 pages of "This game is great, Forsaken's crime is infecting our cities!"
And 5 pages of "Can't connect! AAAARG! EA u suck!"

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 09, 2013, 05:35:56 am »

Also "You're all idiots for buying this game" popping up in between.

* Japa hasn't bought it, but doesn't feel a need to make a fuss about it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 09, 2013, 06:05:57 am »

It's really fun how this thread alternates between 5 pages of "This game is great, Forsaken's crime is infecting our cities!"
And 5 pages of "Can't connect! AAAARG! EA u suck!"
Well, that's the general consensus. The game's nice, I suppose, but EA has done/ is doing it's very best to ruin it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 09, 2013, 06:28:09 am »

So..... Is this game worth buying? I enjoyed older sim city games, and like the idea of playing with everyone on bay12. How is the multiplayer? Does it run while I'm offline, or is there a set time, or what?

Can you "fight other cities"??? Maybe through politics, economy, or actual war?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 09, 2013, 06:30:42 am »

1) Maybe, can't argue on that.
2) Currently offline.* From what I've heard, you need to play with friends as a one bad city can bring the entire region down. (See below). Also, can't delete cities, IIRC.
3) Nope, not at all. If the servers are down, your game is useless
4) Pollution, criminality, radiation and such all spread between cities. So you can battle that way, though people won't really appreciate.

Edit: In order to make clear how big the connection problem is, well, let's say.
At launch, Sim city had a 92/100 metacritic score. This has now dropped to 72, and is falling fast.

*Or if you manage to enter a server, very limited. EA deactivated several social features(the major selling point of the game) and slowed down stuff to lower the server load.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:37:14 am by 10ebbor10 »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 09, 2013, 06:34:59 am »

Having read about the SimCity 5 Release Madness, I decided to have a stab at some more SimCity 4.

Nostalgic blast from the past woohoo! Come at me, gridlock! And to think this game is ten years old. Now I feel old.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 09, 2013, 06:36:41 am »

Remebering Mario Bros he first on the 8bit THAT is feeling old....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 09, 2013, 07:05:49 am »

Found out why larger population cities often have neverending issues with 'nowhere to ship out freight', 'need more workers', and 'not enough shoppers'.

Only about 10% of the population are workers when it should be more like 30%-40%. The game certainly seems to think so since having a medium-small industrial district provides about 35,000 jobs. But since 100,000 people provide only 10,000 workers, the industries constantly fail have to hire enough people, and the 90,000 people who are relying on 10,000 people for their income constantly have no money to shop. Ergo, commercial buildings constantly fail to meet their sales needs, and don't purchase freight from the industry, thus compounding industry's problems even more.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 09, 2013, 07:42:17 am »

Heh, I've been playing Sim City 4 lately too. Still pretty fun. The new game looks awesome- I'm kind of waiting to purchase it though, in the hopes that the whole server issues will clear up to some degree.

Speaking of Sim City 4, I have a main city with some neighbors that's stuck at 80,000 people with negative RCI demand in all sectors. It also doesn't seem to be a demand cap issue (or I'm going about checking that wrong), since I tried building a million parks and neighbor connections as a test and that didn't seem to help. Thoughts?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 09, 2013, 07:45:18 am »

Taxes?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 09, 2013, 07:55:01 am »

I know sometimes it can show low or no desire on the RCI bars when in fact they desire a specific density level out of the three. So a high desire for dense residential while having low desire for low and medium density residential will make it seem like they don't desire residential at all.

Taxes as dennislp3 said also, generally around the 7-9% level I've found.

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #779 on: March 09, 2013, 07:59:32 am »

Only about 10% of the population are workers when it should be more like 30%-40%. The game certainly seems to think so since having a medium-small industrial district provides about 35,000 jobs. But since 100,000 people provide only 10,000 workers, the industries constantly fail have to hire enough people, and the 90,000 people who are relying on 10,000 people for their income constantly have no money to shop. Ergo, commercial buildings constantly fail to meet their sales needs, and don't purchase freight from the industry, thus compounding industry's problems even more.
Your numbers must be off. I have a city of 3600 and 1025 total jobs currently filled with 176 unfilled.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 98