Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191893 times)

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #675 on: March 07, 2013, 01:27:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit - Done

Edit 2 - I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in developer interviews, though.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:39:41 pm by Vel »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 07, 2013, 01:29:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dang it Spoilers man spoilers!

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 07, 2013, 02:30:10 pm »

And since I posted that I had no issues at all yesterday, I've had nothing but issues today.

I haven't actually been able to play the game at all for the last 10 hours. This really isn't the service I expect when I've purchased a single-player game!

There really should be an offline mode.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 07, 2013, 02:43:59 pm »

I haven't actually been able to play the game at all for the last 10 hours. This really isn't the service I expect when I've purchased a single-player game!

Although I don't disagree there should have been an offline mode it's not like it wasn't well know this was always online, and even Diablo 3 had similar issues on release and Blizzard have significantly more experience in this than EA so some issues would be expected.

With it coming out over here tomorrow I expect the problems will get worse before they get better.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 07, 2013, 02:47:00 pm »

I enjoy the game a lot and I'm willing to deal with the problems I've been having today, but, admittedly I think they should've probably just marketed it as a multiplayer game from the start. It's really not a single player game; it's a multiplayer game you can play solo. It's pretty much like an MMO in terms of implementation -- you can play it solo, but it's designed with multiplayer in mind and there are certain things that are extremely difficult or impossible without multiple people (for example, the Great Works require a tremendous amount of materials, far more than any single city could ever produce and a single player playing multiple cities would likely have significant difficulties doing it either)

Maybe that would have alleviated some people's disappointment with facing multiplayer game-type issues when they only want to play alone.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 07, 2013, 02:51:22 pm »

Let me just quickly cover why Djohaal (as well as myself) see buying this game as a waste of money:
  • Tiny cities barely capable of holding 200k inhabitants.
  • Massive regions of primarily 'green space' between cities.
  • HUGE steps backwards in transit options, player customization, and player choice. (Can't set tax rates without X upgrade, can't build Z building without Y upgrade present in region.)
  • Absolute inability to play by yourself. (Even in multiple cities across a region, shit's fucked. Mass of commuters in City 1, mass of jobs in City 2. No one uses transit between them.)
  • Highly intrusive DRM coupled with awful servers - it's worse by far than Error 37's Diablo 3 (whoops, that's backwards!)

Yeah, the curvy roads are nice, as are the long-wished-for additions of true 3D graphics and multiplayer. But those things, even when combined with the full agent modeling, don't make it a better game than SC4 and a FAR worse city simulator.

I mean, they can't even get ROW for emergency vehicles right. Got bad traffic? Your fire trucks and ambulances and police cars will sit in the driveways forever waiting for your Sims to get the fuck out of the right lane. Meanwhile, SC4 gets that shit right - civilian vehicles move the fuck out of the way for emergency vehicles.

Is it a good game? Sure. Is it a good city simulator? Not really. Is it better than SC4? Not by a long shot.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 07, 2013, 02:55:30 pm »

Woah there, 'barely capable' of holding 200k? If I'm not careful I can have the population get away from me and fly up to ~100k while not even trying. Populations start slow but once density starts increasing, the population flies. I was looking through the leader boards earlier and some of the early starting players have cities with way more than 200k.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 07, 2013, 02:59:53 pm »

The small city size urges you to specialize. By doing so it actually gives you more freedom. At first I tried to build a SimCity 4 style metropolis and the game mechanics punished me. Recently, I started as an oil producer which then allowed me to make plastic. With a strong economy from that I turned my city into a an electronics giant and am sitting on a pile of simoleans. However, I need to start a new region nearby now(bankrolled from my other success) to make sure my first city is well supplied.

Also, all of those in my region are now reaping the rewards of my success as I unlocked a lot and provide resources and wealth to their cities. This game is a lot deeper than it appears to be in the first 10 hours. The social dynamic is really well fleshed out.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

draconisokami8504

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 07, 2013, 03:14:53 pm »

The small city size urges you to specialize. By doing so it actually gives you more freedom. At first I tried to build a SimCity 4 style metropolis and the game mechanics punished me. Recently, I started as an oil producer which then allowed me to make plastic. With a strong economy from that I turned my city into a an electronics giant and am sitting on a pile of simoleans. However, I need to start a new region nearby now(bankrolled from my other success) to make sure my first city is well supplied.

Also, all of those in my region are now reaping the rewards of my success as I unlocked a lot and provide resources and wealth to their cities. This game is a lot deeper than it appears to be in the first 10 hours. The social dynamic is really well fleshed out.

All this makes me really wish I could play, but I keep getting kicked off. I'm lucky to play for 10 mins before I get a disconnected from server. This is driving me crazy seeing others playing and I can't.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 07, 2013, 03:37:09 pm »

I can't load it up right now. They pushed an update to the client earlier and it seems they are pushing one to the servers now.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 07, 2013, 03:39:20 pm »

I do like the website boingboing.net – it’s where I lifted my avatar photo.  They’ve posted a review of SimCity that links to this site:

http://www.jonathancresswell.co.uk/2013/03/review-simcity/

Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 07, 2013, 03:44:42 pm »

I'm sure people have legit complaints about SC5, so this isn't for them.

Hey guys. I see Sim City 5 was released. As soon as I saw it, I didn't even need to play. I went to Metacritic and spammed the site with a bunch of 1s. As soon as I saw it was by EA, I didn't even need to play Sim City 5, I automatically rated it as a 1. I keep making new accounts so people don't play any EA game! I do this for every game EA releases! I also went to Amazon and have been spamming about how bad EA is, I don't really talk about the game except for that online thing, whatever that is. All I know is I have to rate everything a 1 that is by EA! I would rate every EA game a 0 if I could! I downrate every review that is positive, and uprate every review that shows how bad EA is! Boy does EA suck!
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 07, 2013, 03:53:36 pm »

I am still hoping a lot can go wrong in Simcity 5

One thing I hated, absolutely HATED, about Simcity societies is that there really wasn't anything you could do to fail (In fact I tried to see if you could. I built nothing but houses and buildings that didn't provide anything but instead scared and killed people. I still made money) AND that there were no disasters. Yeah you could force disasters onto your city but they never happened on their own.

I kinda prefer my cities to be more disaster prone but to my knowledge that has never been a Simcity feature. How often are disasters?

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 07, 2013, 04:04:41 pm »

I'm sure people have legit complaints about SC5, so this isn't for them.

Hey guys. I see Sim City 5 was released. As soon as I saw it, I didn't even need to play. I went to Metacritic and spammed the site with a bunch of 1s. As soon as I saw it was by EA, I didn't even need to play Sim City 5, I automatically rated it as a 1. I keep making new accounts so people don't play any EA game! I do this for every game EA releases! I also went to Amazon and have been spamming about how bad EA is, I don't really talk about the game except for that online thing, whatever that is. All I know is I have to rate everything a 1 that is by EA! I would rate every EA game a 0 if I could! I downrate every review that is positive, and uprate every review that shows how bad EA is! Boy does EA suck!

Edit: Never mind pretty sure this is sarcasm now
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:10:49 pm by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #689 on: March 07, 2013, 04:05:30 pm »

I am still hoping a lot can go wrong in Simcity 5

One thing I hated, absolutely HATED, about Simcity societies is that there really wasn't anything you could do to fail (In fact I tried to see if you could. I built nothing but houses and buildings that didn't provide anything but instead scared and killed people. I still made money) AND that there were no disasters. Yeah you could force disasters onto your city but they never happened on their own.

I kinda prefer my cities to be more disaster prone but to my knowledge that has never been a Simcity feature. How often are disasters?
I'm not sure if you saw the earlier talk about the bay12 region but I seem to have brought everyone else's cities to their knees with my rampant crime problems... There is plenty that can go wrong. Its not an easy game by any stretch.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 98