Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191839 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #645 on: March 07, 2013, 03:18:14 am »

I think I may be making the right decision by waiting to buy it later. EA does nothing to reward early adopters (well, aside from the Heroes and Villains DLC you get I guess). I can just relax and buy it when they have their server issues sorted out. Now, I'm wondering when the price will go down...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Therolyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 07, 2013, 03:43:05 am »

The fact they already have buyable DLC for it just sends alarm bells of in my head. The more I hear about Sim City the more I'm glad I didn't reorder, the more reluctant I get to consider buying and the more sure I get at if I did buy the game they'll attempt to bleed as much money out of me as possible.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 07, 2013, 05:01:15 am »

The fact they already have buyable DLC for it just sends alarm bells of in my head. The more I hear about Sim City the more I'm glad I didn't reorder, the more reluctant I get to consider buying and the more sure I get at if I did buy the game they'll attempt to bleed as much money out of me as possible.

I miss expansion packs.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 07, 2013, 05:21:04 am »

I bought the game on Tuesday night and my code was sent to me on Wednesday morning, installed without a hitch using a VPN (I'm in the UK) and have been able to play with no server waits, no drop in service, nothing.

All very smooth, and whilst it's a very addictive game (I must have played for almost 6 hours straight), it's somewhat shallow.

Please don't believe those who say it hasn't been cut back, as a Sim City veteran - I can tell you it has. It's a lot simpler, there's a lot less to balance, it's a lot easier to get people to move in (people just do as soon as you place the zones) and there doesn't seem to be a great deal of depth at all.

It IS still addictive, however. I do prefer to play on a private server and hop through each city (makes it feel more like the original, imagining each 'city' as different areas of a larger one) as it eliminates the need to play with others!

In short, I wouldn't give it the late 80s and 90s it's been receiving in reviews - it's a 75 for me.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 07, 2013, 07:04:24 am »

It's a lot easier to get people to move in? Wha? People streamed in in every other SC too as soon as you placed a bit of R and I, and basic water and power. I'm not sure how that's been simplified any at all. Heck, in SC4 you had to remember /to/ make sure you only provided the bare-bones basics and wait for enough people to stream in, because trying to get too fancy right off would completely wreck your monthly budget.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:06:32 am by Vel »

draconisokami8504

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 07, 2013, 08:49:55 am »

Thought I's share this:

SimCity ‏@simcity
We are working on the servers 24/7 - expect performance fluctuations. Our fans are our number one priority. Thank you for your patience.

That was posted about 7 hours ago via Twitter. This time is also part of my Twitter I don't know how Twitter does times when it's different time zones. Does it do the math and figure in what time it was for you when it says that or what? Anyhow just thought I would share that.

draconisokami8504

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 07, 2013, 09:04:57 am »

I'm still getting network errors.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: March 07, 2013, 09:20:43 am »

People are going to call the early adopters fools, but I for one fully and truthfully want to thank all of you who adopted early. You knew the risks, and for your own reasons decided to take them. After the Diablo III launch (as well as mulitple MMOs), we've seen how unstable servers can plague an always online game. So, as someone who's interested again, I'm extremley grateful you guys are essentially lodetesting their servers for us, and working out the kinks for those of us who will purchase later.
Seriously, you guys are awesome.

draconisokami8504

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 07, 2013, 09:35:29 am »

Your welcome, (from all of us early adopters). I've been waiting since day one of knowing it would come out. The game itself is very fun and has sucked a lot of time from me. (When I could play.) I think the game was worth the money, just the stupid DRM and stuff isn't. If they did it the normal way with having offline single-player and then online for multiplayer I would tell everyone and anyone who wanted it to buy it, but as of now, I would have to say hold off on purchasing the game until the kinks are all worked out. Yeah it sucks for us early adopters but I have other things I can and probably need to be doing instead of playing 6+ hours. (What went from a I'll just play for an hour turned into a 3 hour play and that was only because I was kicked off by the servers. It could have been far longer.) It's amazing how fast time goes by when your having fun! Once the kinks are worked out, I say go for it. Muiltiplayer is especially fun, and especially with these guys. lol :)

Edit: I must state though, that the beta testers did most of the loadtesting, turns out that the early adopters have turned into 'late beta testers'. Which I didn't pay for, but probably should have expected considering everything else.

Edit 2: also since I can't seem to play, I'm gonna go waste a little time on Dungeon Defenders while I wait on a package to repair my uncle's computer. Fun day ahead of me today. Hopefully tonight I can unwind and play some Simcity.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:39:45 am by draconisokami8504 »

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 07, 2013, 09:42:40 am »

People are going to call the early adopters fools, but I for one fully and truthfully want to thank all of you who adopted early. You knew the risks, and for your own reasons decided to take them. After the Diablo III launch (as well as mulitple MMOs), we've seen how unstable servers can plague an always online game. So, as someone who's interested again, I'm extremley grateful you guys are essentially lodetesting their servers for us, and working out the kinks for those of us who will purchase later.
Seriously, you guys are awesome.

I very much hope you are being sarcastic.

Preordering and not getting to play the game is anti consumer as fuck. Always on DRM is even more anti consumer.
Preordering EA games should NOT be encouraged, or EA will keep pulling shit like this. The only one who benefit from you preordering is the publisher essentially. Developers only get paid for hitting milestones in their shitty business model. Not just that, dayone DLC is a direct result of this preordering game, time that could be spend bettering the game is spend making insignificant bonuses to preorderes.

Bottom line; no matter how much you want to play the game. DO NOT PREORDER EA GAMES.

They are never going to change their ways unless you hit their pockets.
Merchants Quest me programming a trading game with roguelike elements.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 07, 2013, 09:54:07 am »

I wasn't supporting preordering or anything of the sort, but felt that those who did take the plunge deserved a little more thanks and a little less scorn from people. My convictions are hardly strong enough to prevent me from buying a fun game because I don't like the company. Hell, I still shop at Walmart, and I've even worked for them.
I find the overall message from your post sounds like "you're being nice, it must be sarcasm!", but honestly, not everyone has to be hypercritical of others decisions. I decided not to preorder, because I've been burnt before, others did not. It's not my place to tell them whether their decision was good or not, but I feel thankful to them that they're basically being paying beta testers without being consulted about it first.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #656 on: March 07, 2013, 10:08:06 am »

In other news, I played for about four hours this morning. I managed to get a fairly balanced city going. I yearn for an undo button for those expensive mis-placements, although it might be hiding somewhere and I have not found it.

I realized that it's not always a great idea to try to force high wealth residential with pretty parks, as your rich sims won't have any rich stores to spend their money in. Instead I opted for a slow transform from low density to medium, then I built a bit of a ritzy neighborhood away from the hustle of the city center. I tried later for a downtown effect but just made a mess of my traffic :-/ I was rushing a train depot and kinda let things go crazy, so it'll be back to the drawing board when I get home.

draconisokami8504

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 07, 2013, 10:18:41 am »

I would also like to state, I did NOT Pre-order. I went out and bought a physical copy on release day. Assuming everyone on here pre-ordered then calling all of us idiots for doing so just isn't quite right. Honestly if it wasn't for the so called 'idiots of pre-orders or release day purchases', no one would know how will the game was. This is about the GAME. The GAME itself is fun, addictive and a lot of people love it. (I'm saying the GAME itself, not the services.) Does it mean we agree with the DRM and such? Not exactly. But most of us so called 'idiots' bought the GAME because we like the series and wanted the GAME. I personally don't agree with everything EA does, which is why I didn't pre-order. But after reading about the GAME and wanting to play it I bought it. Do I regret it? Not really, as I did get to play it. (Not as much as I would have liked, but I won't die if I have to wait.) I know EA will, sooner or later fix the issues. Let's see, WoW, Diablo III and just about any other Online game had theses issues. Look at them now. No, I don't like the Online DRM model and do feel a little like I'm a bad consumer for needing to do this. But I bought it for the GAME. As many people who are grumbling, EA won't take this one sitting down. They will be fixing it or they WILL be losing a lot of money from loss of sales of the game and DLC's. I think the game has enough for me for now. DLC's be damned. It's everyone's opinion on what they want out of a game. Want more buy the DLC's, that's what they are there for, but no one is forcing you.

This is my take and personal opinion on the matter. Everyone has their say. But please don't call people idiots just because they did something you didn't or wouldn't. I'm sure a lot of people are having early adopter blues, no need to make them feel worst or upset them more.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: March 07, 2013, 11:25:37 am »

Must say that at this point for me I mostly want to buy the game and play it (it isn't out here till tomorrow anyway) my main concern is the size of cities. All the demos/reviews/walkthrough look really crowed and one of main things I like about the old games was large sprawling cities.

Now obviously I'm not going to be able to have those with the new version so I can accept that but I'd still like to know from those that have it while your playing how constrictive does the small map sizes feel?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

draconisokami8504

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 07, 2013, 11:31:11 am »

Must say that at this point for me I mostly want to buy the game and play it (it isn't out here till tomorrow anyway) my main concern is the size of cities. All the demos/reviews/walkthrough look really crowed and one of main things I like about the old games was large sprawling cities.

Now obviously I'm not going to be able to have those with the new version so I can accept that but I'd still like to know from those that have it while your playing how constrictive does the small map sizes feel?

I personally feel it's not too constrictive. You can always specialize a city, like say do a few with a little residential to get started then turn one of them to an all industrial one city while another is all residential with some commercial mixed in for shopping and have an all commercial one for major shopping. One region I was playing in someone had all industrial and I was getting all my stuff from him for my commercial zones. It's just a matter of patience and planning. Oh you could even have that industrial city powering your other cities (provided it has enough power plants to do so.) While the Commercial one provides water to the other cities.) Thus freeing up the space you would use for all the utilites per city for other uses.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 98