Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191772 times)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #570 on: March 06, 2013, 04:16:27 pm »

Lemme know if you set up a second region :D

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 06, 2013, 04:23:13 pm »

Did that remove the ENTIRE region, or is it still running?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 06, 2013, 04:26:45 pm »

It's still running, but between the uncontrolled criminals and fire breaking out everywhere, the upper 4 cities have become practically unhabitable.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #573 on: March 06, 2013, 04:27:20 pm »

I did say my city was going to be a hive of industry, crime, and death. And it is.

draconisokami8504

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 06, 2013, 04:31:14 pm »

I did say my city was going to be a hive of industry, crime, and death. And it is.

We did have warning, just didn't realize how bad it would be, lol.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 06, 2013, 04:32:56 pm »

Yeah, the influx of criminals(mostly arsonists) from Forsaken brought me to my knees. The crime and fires killed my city's prime source of income which was tourism. It was a DF level tantrum spiral.

I'll let someone else start the next one and please do invite me.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 06, 2013, 04:34:54 pm »

So...you can affect neighbor cities that much? o.O thats awesome

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 06, 2013, 04:36:48 pm »

Yeah, you need to have a seriously stable infrastructure otherwise you can tip over your neighbors or even worse, they can bleed you dry. I had a population explosion that I wasn't prepared for and my neighbors had to really pitch in to keep me afloat. Just as I was recovering, I was sieged by criminals from a neighbor.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 06, 2013, 04:37:49 pm »

PTW, even though I'll never buy this since always-online DRM is the work of Mecha-Hitler and his army of Genchis Kan-bots.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

draconisokami8504

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 06, 2013, 04:51:41 pm »

Yeah, the influx of criminals(mostly arsonists) from Forsaken brought me to my knees. The crime and fires killed my city's prime source of income which was tourism. It was a DF level tantrum spiral.

I'll start a new region on Oceanic Server and invite you to that one. It's just gone crazy, unfortunately. Now we DO know just how much it can affect other's cities.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 06, 2013, 04:54:07 pm »

Population has to be very carefully managed, I've found. Did some experimenting while playing with a friend and the best way to handle population near the birth of a city seems to be to make a relatively small residential area, and then increase its' density briskly. Even a fairly small area can easily hold 25k+ citizens at middle density. Residential seems to be a trap early on because it encourages you to spread tons of it to fill early worker demands, but if you're patient and wait it out you can just build up instead of out and keep your residential fairly compact for your services/education/mass trans to handle.

Edit - alternately, you can just make sure you increase your density on a larger residential area in very small, controlled bursts. That's a bit too much micromanagement on which roads you upgrade for me to bother personally, though.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 04:57:59 pm by Vel »

draconisokami8504

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 06, 2013, 04:56:56 pm »

Population has to be very carefully managed, I've found. Did some experimenting while playing with a friend and the best way to handle population seems to be to make a relatively small residential area, and then increase its' density briskly. Even a fairly small area can easily hold 25k+ citizens at middle density. Residential seems to be a trap early on because it encourages you to spread tons of it to fill early worker demands, but if you're patient and wait it out you can just build up instead of out and keep your residential fairly compact for your services/education/mass trans to handle.

Noted, thanks for the tip. I'll do that.

draconisokami8504

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 06, 2013, 04:58:19 pm »

hemmingjay, if you and anyone else want to join the server please add me as a friend and join Oceanic server so I can invite.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #583 on: March 06, 2013, 04:59:46 pm »

Just to put it in perspective, I was making over 390k per day from industry alone... despite 298 crimes committed per day and 97 arrests per day from the inadequate police force.

hemmingjay, if you and anyone else want to join the server please add me as a friend and join Oceanic server so I can invite.
Invite me! I'll do something less disruptive this time. :)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 06, 2013, 05:00:28 pm »

Gimme on invite~
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 98