Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191721 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #405 on: March 04, 2013, 01:14:59 pm »

If it's anything like The Sims, and I see no reason why they would not, it'll have $40 expansions and DLC up the wazoo. In the end it'll be an okay game that costs a couple hundred dollars even by 2018. It'll be buggy as all hell with only one patch released one month after release and expansions will add more bugs than fixes. I see no reason to stop playing anything from SimCity4 on back.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 04, 2013, 01:47:10 pm »

New post for new topic.

I can't defend this game right now. It's EXTREMELY limited in terms of what you can accomplish. The small city size, a LOT of bugs and some weird decisions are seriously making me consider the possibility that they intentionally handicapped the game in an order to sell you a lot of microtransaction and DLC crap. It's not a terrible game, it just seems like there is no obvious reason limiting it other than making you pay to fix it. I hope I am wrong and I hope they fix this for free.
Amen!

Sadly thats how business tend to move towards to, release crappy shit and improve with DLC to make sure to get more and more money out of their product using *hope*. I.E.: Hope that DLC 65 will finaly fixed bug introduced with DLC2, and hope that DLC 31 will increase the amount of money the city coffer can contain and so on.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 04, 2013, 02:01:23 pm »

We all know I tend to like just about every game that comes out. Honestly, I can always find some things to like about just about anything and this game is no exception. Still, I don't recommend buying it right now, and I also won't be giving away any copies of it. I simply can't support this until I see they are going to address some of these issues for free. I have no problem with DLC that expands gameplay or adds non-essential features, but I fear that they are openly experimenting to see how far they can push this model.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 04, 2013, 10:39:46 pm »

Might I ask what some of your biggest complaints are? I know small cities is the big one, but what are some of the bugs? And you referenced a cap on city coffers?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 04, 2013, 10:48:56 pm »

TOO LATE, purchased the game.
I will dive into the maelstrom of controversy, fanboyism, and angry mob of gamers and see if Sim City 5 is truely worth its infamy.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 05, 2013, 04:19:31 am »

TOO LATE, purchased the game.
I will dive into the maelstrom of controversy, fanboyism, and angry mob of gamers and see if Sim City 5 is truely worth its infamy.
assuming you dont take any sort of prejudice going into the game then it would be nice to hear about it, since its still prerelease i'm not worried about what people have to say about the game
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #411 on: March 05, 2013, 04:31:36 am »

I can tell you that there are 16 city regions with 4 great works sites...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 05, 2013, 05:02:07 am »

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 05, 2013, 05:14:54 am »

Slate has an absolutely glowing review (w/ screenshots) of the new SimCity. 
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2013/03/simcity_review_the_new_version_of_the_classic_game_is_totally_addictive.html

Then you read the reviews of people on Amazon who've purchased it ...

Not for my money.  Reminds me of why I like DF so much although the difference engine sounds intriguing.  I suppose it's possible to play DF without an internet connection but then, how would you reference the Wiki or Bay12?
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #414 on: March 05, 2013, 05:17:23 am »

I suppose it's possible to play DF without an internet connection but then, how would you reference the Wiki or Bay12?
Dwarf Fortress has built-in always-online DRM! RABBLE RABBLE

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 05, 2013, 05:52:44 am »

Slate has an absolutely glowing review (w/ screenshots) of the new SimCity. 
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2013/03/simcity_review_the_new_version_of_the_classic_game_is_totally_addictive.html

Then you read the reviews of people on Amazon who've purchased it ...

Not for my money.  Reminds me of why I like DF so much although the difference engine sounds intriguing.  I suppose it's possible to play DF without an internet connection but then, how would you reference the Wiki or Bay12?

To be fair, most of those low scores are for things like 'servers are busy!!' which is.. well, certainly not /my/ experience. Some people have had issues where the game didn't unlock at the correct time (I assume some sort of mix up in release date for certain purchased versions due to the EU having the release date several days later?), but many can and are playing just fine. Heck, I'm logged in right now. I'm not defending the game's quality here, just pointing out that people have a tendency to flip their shit if they don't receive absolutely instant gratification, and I wouldn't read too deep into a flood of 1 star 'AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  IT'S 12:00:01 AM ON RELEASE DAY WHY  AM I NOT ALREADY PLAYING' reviews a scant few hours after launch.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 05, 2013, 06:19:04 am »

What, this game is like diablo 3 or any MMO out there? Older sims did not need internet connection to be played.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 05, 2013, 06:55:58 am »

If it was cheaper, I'd probably pick it up for a go - but the mixed reviews, the mediocre Beta experience I had, and the fact they're likely to expect you to pay for DLCs in the near future means I simply cannot justify the purchase.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 05, 2013, 07:09:51 am »

Bye SimCity. Another franchise killed by EA.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 05, 2013, 07:36:48 am »

I like a lot of things about the game, including the concept of these smaller cities and their resource specialization. I like the cooperative nature of regions or the ability to grind it out yourself as the mayor of 5 cities in a region. I like the massive projects. I like that it still feels as punishing as the original did but explains things a lot better.

I don't like the always online thing. I don't like the fact that they obviously designed it so they can sell us "Capital Cities" DLC and probably microtransaction stuff by the end of the year. I don't like that they think that server ques are EVER acceptable for a single player game. Ever. Other complaints I have had are fading with time, so shall these I suppose.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 98