Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191625 times)

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #345 on: February 09, 2013, 06:41:47 am »

Yeah, I think the multiplayer aspects are actually something to look forward to. I've recently started playing dropbox simcity 4 (http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=11945.0) with some friends and it's actually really fun

Holy jesus this is cool! Dammit that I just heard of it now. Do you know if there are still SC4MP-games running between strangers? (Non of my friends are interested in SC$.)

Whoa... putting the save folder in a DropBox? So anyone can do that and have their own "private server"? That's pretty damn cool.

Small regions in 4??? That was the game with the largest regions by a longshot.

Sorry. I used the word region when I meant city. In 3000, the playable area was much larger than 4. In 4 they introduced regions thinking that was what we wanted (or more to probably limit the size of the cities), but it disappointed me. I didn't like regions. I liked cities. But again, remember that my experience was from release date to about four months later. A lot of things could have changed since then, but I remember the cities were nothing in size compared to 3000. And now they are doing that again, the cities in the new one will be nothing in size to 4.

Simcity 2000: City size: 128 x 128 tiles
Simcity 3000: Maximum city size: 256 x 256 tiles
SimCity 4: Large city: 256 x 256 tiles.

This was at release day, without any patch or update.

Well, color me misinformed. I think I'm going to give it another whirl then.

After looking up things, I guess I wasn't as mistaken as you made me out to be. True, the size (as in land) may be the same, but the size (as in population) isn't even close. I googled "max population in simcity 3000" and "max population in simcity 4." In Simcity 3000, the average seems to be around 2.5 million while some have popped the 10 million mark. In Simcity 4, the highest I saw was over 1.5 million. People consistently build in the 600,000-700,000 range. Big difference in size.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:45:12 am by pilgrimboy »
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 09, 2013, 06:50:21 am »

Not really. It just means that a single building in Sim city 3000 contained more pop units. The size of each tile remains the same.

Theoretically, I could program a sim builder game on a 10*10 square, and tell the game that a 3*3 building contains 3 million citizens. Doesn't mean that my little game supports larger maps than yours.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 09, 2013, 11:26:18 am »

Come on. When people talk about city size, they don't typically talk about land size. They're talking about population.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 09, 2013, 12:02:35 pm »

After looking up things, I guess I wasn't as mistaken as you made me out to be. True, the size (as in land) may be the same, but the size (as in population) isn't even close. I googled "max population in simcity 3000" and "max population in simcity 4." In Simcity 3000, the average seems to be around 2.5 million while some have popped the 10 million mark. In Simcity 4, the highest I saw was over 1.5 million. People consistently build in the 600,000-700,000 range. Big difference in size.

Bzzt! Wrong again :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuu943ieuRI

Population in a MEDIUM tile (that's 1/4 of the SC4 Large or the SimCity 3000 tile): 3'242,424
No population mods were used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF_hM1Wpkzk

8'340,902 (don't know which terrain, so I'm assuming the biggest). Money cheat, but no mods.

People usually don't make their cities that big because they play around in many cities.
In SimCity 3000 you played one city until you were bored with it and never touched it again, so yeah you reached a higher pop.

In SC4 you can have a RIDICULOUSLY DENSE city if you spend a lot of time making people commute to work to another city. Or having the entire city be super-hightech industrial with nothing but the biggest $$$ residentials, because all your pollution and "plebs" are also in the next city.

And as 10ebbor10 said, the population is just a number, they could have used 10x cap in every building when they made the game, make transit have 10x the cap, make everything 10x as expensive (so the increase in taxes would be irrelevant) and the game would have been exactly the same as it is now.

It's a bit like saying that chars in Final Fantasy are stronger than D&D ones because they can have Strength 400 instead of 18.

I think when people complain about SC5 city size they don't just talk about the number in the corner of their screens, but about the actual complexity and amount of buildings they can have, so yeah, they're talking about terrain size, and how many "agents" you can have running around before the processor grinds to a halt.

And remember: In SimCity 2000 you could have "infinite" population.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:06:54 pm by Sergius »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 09, 2013, 12:05:22 pm »

Come on. When people talk about city size, they don't typically talk about land size. They're talking about population.
When you're talking about the size of an ingame map, you can't do that by comparing the arbitrarily defined pop units it can store. Would get a bit silly otherwise.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #350 on: February 09, 2013, 12:40:59 pm »

He was talking specifically about the size of the map and region. Nobody mentioned population.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 09, 2013, 02:26:58 pm »

Bzzt! Wrong again :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuu943ieuRI

Population in a MEDIUM tile (that's 1/4 of the SC4 Large or the SimCity 3000 tile): 3'242,424
No population mods were used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF_hM1Wpkzk

8'340,902 (don't know which terrain, so I'm assuming the biggest). Money cheat, but no mods.

People usually don't make their cities that big because they play around in many cities.
In SimCity 3000 you played one city until you were bored with it and never touched it again, so yeah you reached a higher pop.

In SC4 you can have a RIDICULOUSLY DENSE city if you spend a lot of time making people commute to work to another city. Or having the entire city be super-hightech industrial with nothing but the biggest $$$ residentials, because all your pollution and "plebs" are also in the next city.

And as 10ebbor10 said, the population is just a number, they could have used 10x cap in every building when they made the game, make transit have 10x the cap, make everything 10x as expensive (so the increase in taxes would be irrelevant) and the game would have been exactly the same as it is now.

It's a bit like saying that chars in Final Fantasy are stronger than D&D ones because they can have Strength 400 instead of 18.

I think when people complain about SC5 city size they don't just talk about the number in the corner of their screens, but about the actual complexity and amount of buildings they can have, so yeah, they're talking about terrain size, and how many "agents" you can have running around before the processor grinds to a halt.

And remember: In SimCity 2000 you could have "infinite" population.

So let me see if I understand you. You're saying that there isn't a population difference in 3000 and 4? Or are you saying it doesn't matter?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 09, 2013, 02:31:41 pm »

Both

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 09, 2013, 03:02:06 pm »

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #354 on: February 09, 2013, 06:49:10 pm »

That doesn't mean that the population figures in simcity 4 weren't vastly overstated. The game had individual building occupation simulation, which was displayed in the query. An average middle-class one-family suburban home in it housed from 9 to 15 people according to the building query. A low-class wooden bungalow housed 8. If you do the math with any simcity city the population per square quilometer will be much higher than most comparable real world urban concentrations, well except maybe hong kong, tokyo or other super-packed metropolis.

At least however, maxis didn't cheat like the people from CXL/Citylife. The population grew exponentially, meaning while in day 0 plopping a one-family house lot gave you like 10 people increase, in a city with one million inhabitants, plopping a single house made your population grow by almost 600-1000.  ???
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 09, 2013, 07:43:33 pm »

At least however, maxis didn't cheat like the people from CXL/Citylife. The population grew exponentially, meaning while in day 0 plopping a one-family house lot gave you like 10 people increase, in a city with one million inhabitants, plopping a single house made your population grow by almost 600-1000.

The population size actually decreased exponentially.

That's how 800 people fit into 1 house.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 10, 2013, 05:56:20 am »

That doesn't mean that the population figures in simcity 4 weren't vastly overstated. The game had individual building occupation simulation, which was displayed in the query. An average middle-class one-family suburban home in it housed from 9 to 15 people according to the building query. A low-class wooden bungalow housed 8. If you do the math with any simcity city the population per square quilometer will be much higher than most comparable real world urban concentrations, well except maybe hong kong, tokyo or other super-packed metropolis.

At least however, maxis didn't cheat like the people from CXL/Citylife. The population grew exponentially, meaning while in day 0 plopping a one-family house lot gave you like 10 people increase, in a city with one million inhabitants, plopping a single house made your population grow by almost 600-1000.  ???
That's an issue of scale. After all, just compare the size of the roads with the size of varying buildings.

subi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 10, 2013, 04:02:55 pm »

how much ram I need for simcity 5 ?  I have 4 and beta lags ,almost unplayable

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 10, 2013, 04:03:50 pm »

Ram is unlikely to be a problem. Probably video card or CPu speed.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #359 on: February 10, 2013, 04:04:38 pm »

1000 rams
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 98