Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191551 times)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #270 on: February 05, 2013, 03:42:25 pm »

Does this make DF a 'bad' or 'not-so-great' game? Maybe, maybe not. It's all the matter of personal opinions. I see games, just like movies and music, as an experience rather than a sum of its whole. Which means it gives room for individual problems or errors a chance to make up for the mistake. Humans are not perfect, naturally, their creations are not so much different. It's bound to have errors. Judging from the past works of Maxis and EA, I think its safe to say that they are doing on okay job of fixing and reducing those errors over the course of years. Sims series has been improving by a mile, sim city improved from the first title to their latest installation sim city 4,

The game that most of us are here for on the site isn't DF5, and we don't have a DF4 that its replacing that might be different on certain areas.
That is what i think the biggest complaints are about, not what's new and improved, but what areas the game has moved away from in others. And i think moved away from explains it perfectly, This is a game that is going to appeal to a different group of people than SC4. There are different priorities and game play focuses, and less focus on other ares. Mainly, social interaction is the new focus, realism and huge cities is less so. A city builder that's easier to get into is the focus, modding is less so. In the end, this probably means that SC5 will have a bigger audience than SC4 does. But it doesn't mean I can build something like this, so its probably not the game for me personally, but i'm not going to say other people won't enjoy it.
Magma is overrated.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #271 on: February 05, 2013, 03:55:25 pm »

I have to say I'm sad that there's no agriculture specialty or option. I'd enjoy building a sleepy farming town in an outlying plot of my region then putting together a big metropolis to feed.

I'm sure they'll add in bigger maps and more features once it is established as a successful game though.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 05, 2013, 03:59:19 pm »

I have to say I'm sad that there's no agriculture specialty or option. I'd enjoy building a sleepy farming town in an outlying plot of my region then putting together a big metropolis to feed.

I'm sure they'll add in bigger maps and more features once it is established as a successful game though.
]

Betcha as DLCs. And we'll have Season Pass being sold early too. Oh EA and monetisation.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 05, 2013, 04:10:42 pm »

I played the Dev Beta (still do, a bit) and my experience from that as well as stuff like the ingame store and the preorder being $80 (!) led me to choose not to buy the game.

SC4 is, I think, still the superior game despite being ten+ years old. The vast wealth of custom content for it combined with the hugely active modder community that regularly blows minds with new awesome things is amazing, and I can't see SC2013 ever becoming so popular as to have a dedicated fanbase ten years from now.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #274 on: February 05, 2013, 04:31:17 pm »

I played the Dev Beta (still do, a bit) and my experience from that as well as stuff like the ingame store and the preorder being $80 (!) led me to choose not to buy the game.

SC4 is, I think, still the superior game despite being ten+ years old. The vast wealth of custom content for it combined with the hugely active modder community that regularly blows minds with new awesome things is amazing, and I can't see SC2013 ever becoming so popular as to have a dedicated fanbase ten years from now.
How are you still playing? The beta ended.

I never did any modding with SC4 personally.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 05, 2013, 04:39:57 pm »

guess he owns a copy. or something.
you can get mods. look on simtropolis or SimPeg.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #276 on: February 05, 2013, 04:42:43 pm »

I don't even own a copy of simcity 4 any more. That disk went mission a long time ago.

So I'm guessing the dev beta dragonshardz mentioned is different from the closed beta I played, which lasted for 4 days.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 05, 2013, 10:51:22 pm »

I don't even own a copy of simcity 4 any more. That disk went mission a long time ago.

So I'm guessing the dev beta dragonshardz mentioned is different from the closed beta I played, which lasted for 4 days.

It is different. I got access to it something like a week before the beta event thing which most other people played. It's pretty much the same content as you guys got, sans time limit.

(As for getting SC4, Steam has it. Nodisk FTW!)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #278 on: February 06, 2013, 11:16:10 am »

Ah, my dreams of a Simcity 4 Except Better shattered. :(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 06, 2013, 11:36:58 am »

This.  I was actually looking forward to this, but I sincerely doubt I'll be buying it now.  Maybe ever.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #280 on: February 06, 2013, 11:55:39 am »

See this is why they don't call it Sim City 5. It isn't intended to be Simcity 4 but better.

Taken on its own, not compared to other games bearing the title, it looks and plays like a fun little game.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 06, 2013, 12:04:06 pm »

Sim City: Societies 2 then?

:P
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 06, 2013, 01:19:30 pm »

Nah, it doesn't play like that one either.

What about: SimCity: Agents.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 06, 2013, 01:21:24 pm »

Nah, it doesn't play like that one either.

What about: SimCity: Agents.

There is a MySims Agents

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 06, 2013, 01:39:08 pm »

Personally, I didn't like 4. Loved 3000. So I'm hoping it's more like 3000. But I hated the small regions in four, so I'm going to assume that I am going to hate the small cities in this one. And 4 might be a lot better now. I played it when it first came out prior to the Rush Hour expansion.

But I will wait for the reviews and see if people like it. It could be a fun game. It might not be exactly what I want, but it could be fun. And that's what matters. If I want the game that I want, then I should learn how to program. And then I probably wouldn't get the game that I want anyway.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 98