Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191441 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #150 on: April 28, 2012, 12:44:02 pm »

That's exactly what I thought in the video about worker units.  Congratulations Maxis on catching up to city simulation mechanics of 1995.

You didn't have to think too hard about traffic volume and capacity in the Caesar series, though, so they're a little further ahead there. To say nothing of the sheer scale, which is as close as any commercial game I've ever even heard of to DF levels of detail and complexity. (And lag, in all likelihood.) Apart from the irksome and self-defeating DRM I'm actually rather looking forward to this.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 28, 2012, 12:48:23 pm »

That kind of complexity is what almost ruined Sim city 4, the traffic management was a complete nightmare on anything but the fastest pentium 4 unless you had the aftermarket patches that fixed the lag.
Now my pc just snorts at sim city 4 with derision, meanwhile dragging it's ass on the simplest 7x7 embark with 200 speed 0 dwarves building a glorious alter to hubris requiring dozens of dwarven water reactors and 100 Z-levels of skty.
As long as this new sim city uses my other 6 unused threads i'll be happy cause i can have it going in background while dorfing along merrily.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 15, 2012, 06:48:41 am »

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 15, 2012, 08:57:06 am »

Origin. No thanks.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2012, 08:57:30 am »

Origin. No thanks.
Eh? Origin works fine.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2012, 09:06:38 am »

Origin said no thanks to me.

It's literally impossible for me to register it. No matter what name I choose, it's invalid

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2012, 10:47:32 am »

I'm assuming people have seen this video, but it looks like it was just put up yesterday, so here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3oFKhftK88
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2012, 11:00:13 am »

Origin said no thanks to me.

It's literally impossible for me to register it. No matter what name I choose, it's invalid

My origin ID is now...

Code: [Select]
rediculousname

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2012, 12:24:43 pm »

I hate origin enough that I'm not getting it for Sim City until I hear for certain that Sim City 5 is really, really good.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2012, 03:24:38 pm »

I hate origin enough that I'm not getting it for Sim City, period.

A slight modification makes that fit me.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2012, 03:35:25 pm »

its got EA hands all over it which is a major buzz kill for me...the luckiest they will probably get from me is me buying the game then using a non DRM copy from the great interwebz.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2012, 08:28:18 pm »

The general view from the sensible people from the simcity community is that it'll flop. Agent based systems don't scale nicely. Big cities will be unfeasible.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2012, 08:58:29 pm »

In case people are trying to register for the beta and are getting complaints from the website about the dxdiag file not uploading, you have to change the filename from DxDiag.txt to something unique-ish.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2012, 09:16:51 pm »

The general view from the sensible people from the simcity community is that it'll flop. Agent based systems don't scale nicely. Big cities will be unfeasible.
Well yes, agent based systems get more interesting at large scales. The question which will determine the fate of the game will be whether it is the good sort of interesting, which will also be tied into how well the agent AI is. If it does silly things like agent-producers on one side of the city sending to agent-consumers on the far side of the city without regard for the agent-producers right next door to the consumers, it will be terrible.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 98