Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191749 times)

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #975 on: March 12, 2013, 09:07:18 am »

It does make across the road further. But these guys were willing to wait in a traffic jam for days, so I don't think they mind the two-hour drive. But the cars and vehicles can cross the road to pull in somewhere because I didn't use the roads with medians. Unfortunately, the emergency vehicles can't. They always have to loop around.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:09:08 am by pilgrimboy »
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: March 12, 2013, 09:10:16 am »

There is only one problem with this system, those living let say on the right side of a road, want to go to a building on his left, he cant just get off his house and go straight left, he will have to go right up untill he reach the end of the road, go out of town, and do his 180* in the region map to finaly visit the building he wanted to go 2 block left. You get my point.
You could place a single piece of dirt road on each loop to create an intersection for them to turn around.

If this would work, it would be excellent. The buses work so much better without intersections. I'm sure the streetcars would to. It's something to experiment with.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #977 on: March 12, 2013, 09:55:07 am »

There is only one problem with this system, those living let say on the right side of a road, want to go to a building on his left, he cant just get off his house and go straight left, he will have to go right up untill he reach the end of the road, go out of town, and do his 180* in the region map to finaly visit the building he wanted to go 2 block left. You get my point.
You could place a single piece of dirt road on each loop to create an intersection for them to turn around.

If this would work, it would be excellent. The buses work so much better without intersections. I'm sure the streetcars would to. It's something to experiment with.
It does work but it takes up a bit of space and looks bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FIeA4YJYEw

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: March 12, 2013, 10:56:27 am »

Gah, the more I see of Youtube Vids on Simcity the more I want to get it for myself but at the same time I really don't due to the loathing state I have for EA and their stupid DRM, last time I bought something from Origin the whole game disappeared as if I didn't pay for it when I upgraded my PC...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: March 12, 2013, 11:06:10 am »

I bet real life traffic engineers also complain about the horrible pathfinding AI of people  8)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: March 12, 2013, 11:56:15 am »

true. I know someone which takes all the deviations possible just to avoid semaphores. He is quite good at it, he can navigate the whole city without ever getting a red light.

still I have ever been faster than him by using mains road.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: March 12, 2013, 11:58:44 am »

Gah, the more I see of Youtube Vids on Simcity the more I want to get it for myself but at the same time I really don't due to the loathing state I have for EA and their stupid DRM, last time I bought something from Origin the whole game disappeared as if I didn't pay for it when I upgraded my PC...

Yep I am in the same boat. I desperately want Simcity 5, but at the same time I absolutely do not want it because I know it is broken.

Though unlike The Sims 3 expansions where I know they are broken and I cannot resist buying them anyway... I think I am safe in resisting Simcity 5.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: March 12, 2013, 12:01:17 pm »

true. I know someone which takes all the deviations possible just to avoid semaphores. He is quite good at it, he can navigate the whole city without ever getting a red light.

still I have ever been faster than him by using mains road.
That sounds like it wastes a huge amount of fuel.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: March 12, 2013, 03:17:59 pm »

Wich in turn will make all the traffic stop because one guys want to go backward.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #984 on: March 12, 2013, 03:25:17 pm »

Wich in turn will make all the traffic stop because one guys want to go backward.
I didn't say it was a great solution, but it IS the only way to let them turn around. You have to have an intersection and by doing that you make one that nobody will use except people who wish to turn around.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: March 12, 2013, 04:22:14 pm »

Thats one of the reason why the traffic is flawed, when a car leave a parking or whatever they should be allowed to go left or right and not force them the side they connect to.
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: March 12, 2013, 04:30:20 pm »

Are the car (vehicles) the traffic, or just a representation of the trafic ? Is the traffic dependant of the vehicles ?

I mean, is it simulated, then shown with cars, or the opposite ?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: March 12, 2013, 04:32:16 pm »

The vehicles are the traffic, not just a representation.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: March 12, 2013, 04:37:29 pm »

Thats what glassbox is about, every single thing you see moving in the city has a destination and a point of origin, you can see crime in real time, police moving from the police station and firing at the criminal, chopper leaving the police station and following a criminal while the cops are stuck in traffic so they can apprehend him later etc.

The entire simulation is a very nice thing... but with all the traffic AI trouble.... sadly it breaks a lot the immersion/pacing of the game.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: March 12, 2013, 05:18:18 pm »

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 98