Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191884 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #780 on: March 09, 2013, 08:02:47 am »

I know sometimes it can show low or no desire on the RCI bars when in fact they desire a specific density level out of the three. So a high desire for dense residential while having low desire for low and medium density residential will make it seem like they don't desire residential at all.

Taxes as dennislp3 said also, generally around the 7-9% level I've found.
Mind I'm using the deluxe edition where taxes default to 9%. There've been some tax hikes but nothing people seem upset about.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 09, 2013, 08:05:11 am »

Meanwhile, I seem to be unable to get rid of my dirty industry sans bulldozing no matter how much I tax them to hell and back.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 09, 2013, 08:14:22 am »

Only about 10% of the population are workers when it should be more like 30%-40%. The game certainly seems to think so since having a medium-small industrial district provides about 35,000 jobs. But since 100,000 people provide only 10,000 workers, the industries constantly fail have to hire enough people, and the 90,000 people who are relying on 10,000 people for their income constantly have no money to shop. Ergo, commercial buildings constantly fail to meet their sales needs, and don't purchase freight from the industry, thus compounding industry's problems even more.
Your numbers must be off. I have a city of 3600 and 1025 total jobs currently filled with 176 unfilled.

The effect comes into play when you get to higher population numbers. At low populations the percentage of workers:non-workers is /significantly/ higher. But that just seems to point to it even more as being a bug that you only have about 10% of the population at workers once you start getting to about 50,000+ population. If you keep checking the ratio of population:workers, you'll see over time the ratio changes.

draconisokami8504

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 09, 2013, 09:10:09 am »

Here's something a little interesting:

http://www.ea.com/news/a-simcity-update-and-something-for-your-trouble

I originally found the article on USA Today, but then found it on something a little more promising I guess you could say. We'll have to wait though.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 09, 2013, 09:11:23 am »

I like their understatements.

But this SimCity is made to be played online, and if you can’t get a stable connection, you’re NOT having a good experience

But anyway, giving away a free game is nice, I suppose. You can even get if you buy and register your game within 9 days.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 09, 2013, 09:18:06 am »

Which tells me that it's going to be abandonware.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 09, 2013, 09:29:10 am »

Is this posted in the wrong thread? I can't seem to make sense of it given the context of the conversation.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 09, 2013, 09:34:09 am »

Is this posted in the wrong thread? I can't seem to make sense of it given the context of the conversation.

I think some people just like the idea of people who bought the game being 'punished' for the 'crime' of buying something from EA. Seems like a pretty silly sentiment to me. Apparently if we enjoy the game in any way and don't do a chargeback, we're culpable in 'encouraging' EA and deserve to have bad things happen to us.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 09, 2013, 10:23:51 am »

But anyway, giving away a free game is nice, I suppose. You can even get if you buy and register your game within 9 days.

Just some EA scepticism.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 09, 2013, 10:28:44 am »

I'm pretty sure the unspecified free game thing is intended to drive further sales.  Why else have an arbitrary date in the future as a cutoff point.

"Oh sweet, I get a free game if I buy it now."
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: March 09, 2013, 10:33:42 am »

It's probably going to be a 3 year old always online DRM game with servers about to be shut down.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 09, 2013, 10:48:33 am »

It's probably going to be a 3 year old always online DRM game with servers about to be shut down.
That probably is from a studio that was respected and made good games but that EA bought out and huskified?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #792 on: March 09, 2013, 11:06:51 am »

Dang, Sim City 2000 doesn't work on windows 7... even once you manually install it, it crashes when you try to save. Oh well. Time to try 3000.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 09, 2013, 11:08:23 am »

Hm. I'm thinking to mayby buy a Sim City. Wich one should I buy?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 09, 2013, 11:11:11 am »

Dang, Sim City 2000 doesn't work on windows 7... even once you manually install it, it crashes when you try to save. Oh well. Time to try 3000.

Any avid old-school gamer should know by now that there's a miraculous thing called DOSBox!

And the problem with 3000 is that its low resolution makes it look blurry (and possibly stretched as well) on modern widescreen LCD displays. :(

Hm. I'm thinking to mayby buy a Sim City. Wich one should I buy?

SimCity 4 (and the expansion), if you're looking for the most advanced incarnation.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:12:57 am by Greenbane »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 98