Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191440 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2012, 07:49:03 pm »

Well are are in the "Pathetically easy" videogame trend. So this game will probably be like Simcity Societies.

Oddly enough we are also in what I call the "Pointlessly Difficult" game trend as well.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 25, 2012, 07:57:28 pm »

This game is confusing me.  It seems that every time I hear something new about it, my opinion shifts drastically one way or the other.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 25, 2012, 08:45:42 pm »

What's that? I should play Sim City 4 again? Ok!

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2012, 11:44:42 pm »

Dunno if old news, but some of the simtropolis admins were invited to drop by maxis's office for some PR. Here's the thoughts Dirk offered to the community: *linkty link*

If you ask me, this will be a flop. Won't have one tenth of the replay value simcity 4 has.
The gameplay strongly reminds me of Cities XL. Apparently Maxis is inspired by it.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 26, 2012, 12:06:54 am »

SOOO another always online game where you will be able to play only if they say you can even tho you bought the game.... I wonder what would happen if a car company were to seel a car but the car would be working only if THEIR hardware in THEIR factory can still contact them.... Would be a buzz killer, can i know why we are accepting that new trend?

Also no-sp? again? So far i cant see a single game coming out that is ONLY SP or has SP on it unless its an indie game... Call me old-timer but man i miss the old days...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 26, 2012, 12:25:39 am »

SOOO another always online game where you will be able to play only if they say you can even tho you bought the game.... I wonder what would happen if a car company were to seel a car but the car would be working only if THEIR hardware in THEIR factory can still contact them.... Would be a buzz killer, can i know why we are accepting that new trend?

Also no-sp? again? So far i cant see a single game coming out that is ONLY SP or has SP on it unless its an indie game... Call me old-timer but man i miss the old days...

Isn't this kind of the case with GPS devices?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 26, 2012, 12:33:29 am »

No that is strictly seperate from the operation of the vehicle...this is not the same for games...

if the on vehicle GPS cant connect...then your lost at worst...with a working car...

if your game cant connect to the relevant server...LOL AT UR FACE for paying a company ~$60 (less if later or on sale of course) for a game you CAN NOT play unless you get a crack or something similar for that exact same patch and hope it doesn't mess the game up.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 26, 2012, 03:26:56 am »

Sadly the hype generated by the previous incarnation of the game will mean EA still make big bucks out of this always-online DRM'ed game.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 26, 2012, 04:01:56 am »

Pirates will crack the DRM sooner or later. I wonder how long will it take to make a server emulator, though. I've heard that a part of Glassbox engine calculations will be processed at EA's servers.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #189 on: October 26, 2012, 05:09:09 am »

Darkspore wasn't cracked yet it seems... But no one carees about Darkspore...
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 26, 2012, 06:48:48 am »

It has been stated many times in many different places that there is a single player mode.  It's also not always online drm, it only checks your connection when launching the game (which still sucks for those poor sods without decent web connections).  Fail hyperbole is fail.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 26, 2012, 06:57:14 am »

No that is strictly seperate from the operation of the vehicle...this is not the same for games...

if the on vehicle GPS cant connect...then your lost at worst...with a working car...

if your game cant connect to the relevant server...LOL AT UR FACE for paying a company ~$60 (less if later or on sale of course) for a game you CAN NOT play unless you get a crack or something similar for that exact same patch and hope it doesn't mess the game up.

I did not mean a car with a GPS, i was talking about the GPS alone.

Anyways it's moot since there will be SP, and there will be cracks.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 26, 2012, 07:01:51 am »

Actually GPS does not rely on anything produced by the manufacturer to run. the network of GPS sattelites orbiting the earth are put in place by the US millitary.

This would be more akin to a game that requires an internet connection to run, but does not actually connect to the company's servers, example: most multiplayer games.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:06:08 am by Japa »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #193 on: October 26, 2012, 07:07:51 am »

Honestly from what I have seen, the game looks fantastic. I love that everything in the game is represented by an agent which you can watch in real time. Rather than staring at abstracted data and guessing where your traffic problem is, or water supply problem is, you can watch a simulated day in various modes and the problem should become apparent in the pattern.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 26, 2012, 07:34:32 am »

yeah the implementation of the concept looks awesome.

I wonder why everything looks so generic, maybe they still lacks lot of the assets.

I've a question however: wasn't the traffic implementation of simcity 4 rush hours following at least partially the same rules?
you could see car originating from houses and moving to the factories and vice versa and querying the road status gave a neat representation of all the traffic moving:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/26/SimCity4_Rush_Hour_screenshot.jpg

granted, they had not the agent based rendering neither the agent base resources. and they lack the neato freeform roads.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 98