Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191570 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #1125 on: March 16, 2013, 11:34:02 am »

Cities XL has smaller cities and fewer options than Sim City 4, more than Sim City 5, and it has two nice simulation changes- services flow along routes instead of having service radii, and curved roads/highways/paths. Still, lots are square meaning that they don't fill uneven regions effectively.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: March 16, 2013, 11:41:07 am »

And don't forget about the crashing and the stupid token trading system...

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 16, 2013, 11:45:57 am »

Token trading?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: March 16, 2013, 12:26:24 pm »

Manual intra city economy;

Ie, each export is represented as a token, and you trade thoe around with other players. When a token runs out, your export/import crashes.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 16, 2013, 02:06:30 pm »

Ie, each export is represented as a token, and you trade thoe around with other players. When a token runs out, your export/import crashes.

That sounds... unorthodox.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: March 16, 2013, 02:10:18 pm »

Token are like money here. Let say you sell 1000tons of agriculture, it worth the same as 40 *worker force* or 40 commercial force etc. this is a full trade thus a token. So instead of boring you with details on economy they simplify it using token, once you will see it, you will see it.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1131 on: March 16, 2013, 02:11:05 pm »

It is, because the system is badly designed. It was originally intended to be an online component where you traded with others online and such but they kludged it to be offline when everything failed to be interesting or popular.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 16, 2013, 02:22:37 pm »

It is, because the system is badly designed. It was originally intended to be an online component where you traded with others online and such but they kludged it to be offline when everything failed to be interesting or popular.
Despite the flaws of the economy system, it has inspired some developers in California to create a very similar online city-building game with very similar game mechanics. If I recall correctly, this Cities XL clone was called "SimCity"
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1133 on: March 16, 2013, 02:41:04 pm »

Despite the flaws of the economy system, it has inspired some developers in California to create a very similar online city-building game with very similar game mechanics. If I recall correctly, this Cities XL clone was called "SimCity"
SimCity doesn't use anything similar to the flawed token system... and unlike CitiesXL, people clearly ARE interested in SimCity and its online component

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 16, 2013, 02:53:10 pm »

SimCity doesn't use anything similar to the flawed token system... and unlike CitiesXL, people clearly ARE interested in SimCity and its online component

I wouldn't say "interested" is the right word :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1135 on: March 16, 2013, 02:54:15 pm »

I would... the online social aspect is 75% of why I bought the game. Same can be said of many people I know.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 16, 2013, 03:01:34 pm »

This is true, and I would really like to buy the game and enjoy it; but all I see is how broken the servers are, and also problems with arbitrary population values, etc.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 16, 2013, 03:11:12 pm »

I wouldn't say "interested" is the right word :P

Considering the servers all died horrible deaths beneath the crushing weight of player demand, I'd say it probably is the right word.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 16, 2013, 04:13:10 pm »

This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 16, 2013, 04:29:26 pm »

Im having hard time understanding something... how can it be possible that after the MASSIVE fail and consumer lies, shit and shizzle EA stock rating is still climbing like nothing happent....

Im no expert but after a bullshit like that wouldnt it at least leak a bit into stock shares? Pardon my ignorancy but i always tought shares represented *wellfare-wellbeeing* of a company. And after a fiasco like that it CANT be good to a company...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 98