Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Undead !!FUN!!  (Read 1364 times)

Myrmec

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing the [z]tock market
    • View Profile
Undead !!FUN!!
« on: March 01, 2012, 01:58:12 am »

So since the new update I've lost all 5 forts to undead.  They seem to rise like crazy even in non-evil biomes!  (last FUN was in "untamed wilderness")  Does anyone have a strategy to deal with all this undead horse hair and kitten zombies that make short work of a population?  I was thinking tons of traps at a bottleneck on the way to the corpse/refuse pile, but that seems like it would fail eventually since each dead creature eventually becomes a writhing mass of killer parts.  Besides, they seem to always get me before I even get good defenses up.  And if I loose so much as a rabbit or kill a troglodyte before I have a serious metal industry going, I'm toast.

I'm playing 34.02, but just heard 34.04 is out.  Maybe Toad has toned the undead down again?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Undead !!FUN!!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 02:31:06 am »

You shouldn't be getting undead in non-Evil areas unless a necromancer has shown up, and they don't seem to come quickly. Are you sure you're not bordering on the cursed lands and inadvertently putting your dead on the Evil side? Also, not all Evil biomes actually cause the dead to walk, though most of the Haunted and Terrifying ones seem to.

Anyway, the best bet against undead is to make sure that all bodies are destroyed post haste. Put a top priority on making an atom smasher in an otherwise-inaccessible pit, or maybe a chute to the semi-molten rock, and use those to destroy the materials that would otherwise rise against you. Make a dedicated armored hauler force if you have to whose only job is getting rid of remains. You shouldn't be storing them at all; set general (o)rders regarding (r)efuse so that they just dump everything automatically. Also, limit, or simply don't use, butchery or livestock; dwarves who live in Terrifying lands should be vegetarian for their own health.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 03:55:11 am »

A magma pit to incinerate the remains would work.

nitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 04:48:39 am »

Necromancers send thief-like scouts that often come in groups, much like goblin thieves and snatchers. They'll reanimate anything they can.

A system of cage traps will catch them as they try to path into your fortress.

You have to be proactive about keeping the map totally free of body parts for necromancers to reanimate.  A refuse pile inside your fortress where sneaking necromancers won't reach, and dwarves collecting body parts outside, plus a trash compactor seems to do the trick.

Myrmec

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing the [z]tock market
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 10:16:27 am »

Ahhhh....   I think part of my 4x4 map may lie in evil...  is there a way to figure out which parts do?

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 10:23:37 am »

When preparing for embark, f1/2/3 will show you which biomes are evil or not...once in game, a difference in terrain might give it away but there's no 'show evil' button.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 10:37:31 am »

Necromancers send thief-like scouts that often come in groups, much like goblin thieves and snatchers. They'll reanimate anything they can.

So there needs to be necromancer on the map for them to reanimate? Or, even in evil biomes they will reanimate w/ or w/o a necro on the map?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 11:26:03 am »

So there needs to be necromancer on the map for them to reanimate? Or, even in evil biomes they will reanimate w/ or w/o a necro on the map?

Evil biomes can cause the dead to raise by themselves, though this feature is not always present in all the evil biomes sadly.

Those are necromancers. Necromancers can arrive as ambushers or siegers, one means they arrive stealthed and resurrect anything they find and have to be discovered before they're killed, the other comes with a horde of undead and attacks your fort more directly.

demonator775

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 01:13:35 pm »

Build a refuse pile inside your fort, if you make a airlock it takes care of the miasma. It should goo like this.
 %  %
%= door
*= wall
1 space then door 2 spaces then door then another space, and if you keep the doors shut tightly animals wont go in. I usually put mine around my industry room, so my bone carvers have easy access. Also I do believe that necromancers need to be within a certain distance of a corpse, so the only way for them to raise your dead is to be inside your fort, and if they are inside your fort then, well you know the rest.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:25:34 pm by demonator775 »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 10:28:30 am »

I've been embarking on evil biomes and have always lost starting 7 before getting any digging done, However this is with embark now and not a specific zombie hunting embark profile.
My first attempt went well, 4 militia with picks or axes cut zombie sows down with ease, but the regeneration rate was too high to even dump the corpses before more spawned.
My second attempt was worse, i couldn't kill a single zombie camel, either the militiadidn't bother picking up the weapons or maybe zombie camels just get it head shots easily.
My next attempt i'll be trying easy mode, changing the raws to a monthly respawn so i'll have time to dump corpses.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.