Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1273954 times)

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10530 on: July 09, 2015, 09:01:37 am »

Jeb is a hard-core Social Darwinist who flinches at the very word of "Darwinism" (so very ironic...)

I mean, seriously: No less than 80% of his idiotic school vouchers in Florida were forked over to fundie schools specializing in anti-evolution mumbo-jumbo, even though the program in itself is basically "survival of the fittest" within the school system. 

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10531 on: July 09, 2015, 09:15:10 am »

Generally it means "I have a bachelors/masters and I'm flipping burgers at three different chains"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10532 on: July 09, 2015, 11:03:23 am »

Mmhmm. Overqualification in general, really. Someone with 20, 30 years in on-site IT working as an entry level tech-support call handler because there's just not anything else available to 'em would be another example.

It's a little fluid as a designation in practice, I think -- someone working a job they're significantly overqualified for because they want to do that particular job, might not really count. But it's generally speaking folks doing less than they should be able (and generally want) to. Doesn't really have anything directly to do with hours worked, which in retrospect makes it kinda' odd the aide mentioned it...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10533 on: July 09, 2015, 11:26:03 am »

Ok, I was confused, because the equivalent French term refers precisely to people that would like to work full-time but can only find part-time work. Working several different jobs isnt as common here as Stateside.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10534 on: July 09, 2015, 11:28:56 am »

There's a lot of things fucked up about the American job system. Not being able to survive off one job (or the equivalent-hours of one job, at least) is one of them.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10535 on: July 09, 2015, 12:14:46 pm »

Should working full time at minimum wage count as under-employed?  Since last I heard, its been studied and confirmed impossible to survive on 40 hours a week at minimum wage almost anywhere in the country.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10536 on: July 09, 2015, 12:25:28 pm »

I'd say no? Underemployment is usually an issue of qualification, not survival (iirc, we have a different word for poverty wages, though I can't recall it), iirc. If all you're capable of is minimum wage work, you're not underemployed if that's all you have, regardless as to if it's a living wage or not.

And nah, it's possible, but more or less only if you're consistently lucky. No major emergencies, existence of accessible/affordable housing, probably no kids, etc. Not terribly pleasant, and obviously one accident or misstep away from homelessness/bankruptcy/death/etc., but possible, in a "You're not dead yet." sort of way.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10537 on: July 09, 2015, 12:30:36 pm »

I'd say no? Underemployment is usually an issue of qualification, not survival (iirc, we have a different word for poverty wages, though I can't recall it), iirc. If all you're capable of is minimum wage work, you're not underemployed if that's all you have, regardless as to if it's a living wage or not.

What if you are qualified & just don't think it's worth the BS of the corporate world, which is closer to my situation. Well I'm 1/2 & 1/2 in that I lack qualification but would of become qualified & still could with a lot of hassle.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10538 on: July 09, 2015, 12:42:18 pm »

I thought I'd leave that here: Stop worrying about video game violence, and start thinking about dehumanization

@wobbly:
Become qualified for your own sake. it heightens your living quality, no matter whether it helps you earn money or not.
Taste my Paci-Fist

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10539 on: July 09, 2015, 12:56:27 pm »

^^^ This.

Also why, as great as it is, Batman's rogues gallery is one of the most harmful things to be produced by modern-ish fiction.  It approaches the issues of how society should deal with the mentally ill while simultaneously being horribly wrong on every imaginable level.  Ditto for how criminals should be dealt with.  All crime dramas ever are also awful, for about the same reason.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10540 on: July 09, 2015, 12:58:08 pm »

I never thought I'd write something like that, but I think German crime dramas are actually pretty damn good in that regard.
Taste my Paci-Fist

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10541 on: July 09, 2015, 01:25:14 pm »

it seems that even Texas is not safe from progress these days

http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/ut-public-forum-majority-push-removal-confederate-monuments-26930.shtml
Three statues of confederate leaders at the University of Texas at Austin campus brought heated words to the first of two public forums that will determine whether to keep them or possibly move them to a museum.

Now the debate has spread to the Texas Capitol.

Yesterday five state law makers sent a letter to Governor Greg Abbott, Texas House Speaker Joe Straus and Lt. Governor Dan Patrick calling for the creation of a task force to review more than a dozen confederate monuments at the Capitol grounds.

best part
The forum focused on one statue in particularly, that of Jefferson Davis.

He was the President of the Confederate States of America during the Civil War.

Although he argued against succession early on, he also advocated for the expansion of slavery and owned slaves himself.

One speaker said every time she passed his statue she felt harassed.
god damn harassment statues

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10542 on: July 10, 2015, 05:30:54 am »

I thought I'd leave that here: Stop worrying about video game violence, and start thinking about dehumanization

I've been thinking this for a long time, but every time somebody mentions it, especially in nerdy circles, there's always some dude who immediately goes "duuuh I played videogames and I didn't become violent" or "lol Jack Thompson" - as if either had anything to do with what you're saying. It's the sane kind of "don't you dare touch my entertainment" response you get from nerds when trying to discuss addiction of games (other than mobile "casual" games, of course).
Love, scriver~

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10543 on: July 10, 2015, 06:02:57 am »

That's probably why he starts with basically four paragraphs of disclaimer.
Taste my Paci-Fist

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10544 on: July 10, 2015, 06:25:56 am »

That response is, however, provoked by the persistent framing of the discussion as one primarily about law and societal allowance. The "can you" rather than the "should you". I'm an adult and don't need Mama Government telling me what vidja I can and cannot have. That is also a real issue that was fought for and in some place is still being fought for, and shouldn't be dismissed. Germany prohibited sales of Half-Life until the fictional soldiers were replaced with fictional robot soldiers, which in addition to being censorship is also a sign of how absurdly petty the world is, but that is an existential crisis for another day. Plenty of places have laws that don't let you run game programs for more than a few hours at a time, mostly targeted at MMORPGs. But I think that all people should have the opportunity to throw their lives away playing video games, lose everything meaningful to them, and kill themselves in the depths of hellish loneliness. The rights to live, die, and choose and all that.

Now, to its credit, this article doesn't do that and explicitly calls against both legal censorship and self-censorship, though admittedly this also brings into question exactly what the hell the writer is calling for. Criticality without alternative might be all well and good for making yourself feel accomplished in having stated your opinion, but the rational response of everyone else in the world should just be the delete button.

The argument about war is flawed because it fails to make the distinction between the effects of war and the effects of video games (or anything media) about war. This isn't the "it's not real" response per se, though I do maintain that the fiction argument is a valid response to pretty much all of this. If video games can't make you commit violence it reasonably follows that they also cannot make you dismiss the humanity of the enemy. But getting back to the point, a video game about a war does not necessarily spread acceptance of war violence, it spreads acceptance of video games. The WWII or Vietnam or whatever war is being presented is a flavor hash taken from human history, but even the author points out games that use entirely fictional wars. If the dehumanization is carried through to the game from reality, then what's the connection Killzone has to our bubbling desire to kill every Helghast fuck in the system and let God sort them out? Because they're Space Nazis fighting Space America, so this is actually just WWII? Fuck off, everything we put into media is ripped straight from the headlines of something else.
The Holocaust is the obvious example, but Americans also did their fair share of dehumanizing killing, particularly in Japan. You can’t really firebomb Tokyo or nuke Hiroshima and Nagasaki if you think the Japanese are human beings with friends, parents, lovers and children.

And you certainly can't do this.
Oh yes you can. There's plenty of examples of philosophical positions where you can recognize your enemies as human and then kill them all. From both a utilitarian and deontological standpoint. Hell, that's what so scary about some really committed utilitarian types, because they'll tell you with a straight face that we need to exterminate half of humanity through random selection to save the other half from resource collapse. Even the classic example of justifying the nuclear bombings is utilitarian: less people die from all sides added together when nukes are used, therefore use nukes. That argument treats all people as of equal worth, though I don't agree with it myself. All in all, I have to chalk this up to someone who loves using the word "dehumanization" too much. I've had a decent amount of experience with the "what is dehumanization" fight and it's a nasty one. What I've found is that people don't get the idea very well and soon enough you've got loser Westerners comparing their every struggle to the Holocaust, including struggles that are perceptual and don't exist. The exploration of thought has to give way to our relatively certain knowledge of the real world at some point or it isn't worth anything.
Maybe we compartmentalize and remind ourselves that war isn’t really like that. But at the end of the day, we are — on some level — accepting the premise that watching people shoot at each other is one of the most entertaining things a person can do with their time.
[EYEROLLING INTENSIFIES]
Yeah, ok, so while we're "maybe compartmentalizing" (if you cannot compartmentalize vidjia into the vidjia box, please vanish in a puff of logic because you are either not real or an alien), let us take a moment to realize that the premise you are accepting on some level is shooting fake people is entertaining, which it is, because it simulates something exciting, which violence is. Humans love violence. Hands down, without question. The excitement of these things is why we keep looking into it, and it is without moral charge. It came from us in the first place, and was interjected into fiction for that reason. When you say that societal and media acceptance of violence makes us accept violence, you've got it backwards. When we have violence in media it is because we have already accepted our interest in violence enough to make media out of it.

This post is more or less redundant after this, but my last response is the "what we can do about it", which is basically a call for universally critical media. To which I say, god no, please fucking no, we have enough antithesis in the world to kill any 90's emo band in existence. No more. No more!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 759