Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1274937 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #9945 on: April 23, 2015, 06:52:17 am »

Yup, looks like they'll fire you for anything, and your life isn't worth $400....

The ironic part is that now any robber at a Popeye will know to demand you open the safe when asked: "I know you can open it bitch! I read the stories!" Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to keep the register down to the required $50. Assuming she did in fact have direct access to the safe to fulfill her job requirement of keeping the register empty, she must have lied to the robber, at risk of her own life. How much more was in that safe, going by company policy?

So, in this case you can risk your own life to save the company some money, but it's still not enough. If the robber gets away with one cent, then you're expected to pay back whatever was in the register if it exceeds $50, which you should have clearly put in the safe, yet you're also expected to risk your life lying to armed robbers and not open the actual safe when asked. It really is a case where they don't give a fuck how well you did or what risks you took, you're still a nameless pawn to be exploited.
You know, it's perfectly possible to have a safe-like box with a chute on top. It's not like those people are stupid, and it's not like they want to keep their earnings unsafe.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9946 on: April 23, 2015, 07:26:49 am »

so full of holes I can pair it with a nice wine.

* scriver makes mental note of quip to use later
Love, scriver~

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9947 on: April 23, 2015, 10:38:47 am »

Every time Steve King says or does anything, it makes me a little more ashamed to live in his district.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9948 on: April 23, 2015, 02:40:39 pm »

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/gm-ford-others-want-working-own-car-illegal-160000229.html

"According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, John Deere argued that “letting people modify car computer systems will result in them pirating music through the on-board entertainment system.”

That’s right— pirating music. Through a tractor."

They don't want you to be legally able to work on your own car, no really. "Only the computerized parts" doesn't limit anything. They'll just make all the parts computerized somehow and then you won't be able to do anything on your own car. Rather, they want to force you to use their dealership techs charging $90 an hour or more.....

I especially love this particular line of BS:
"What GM, and even tractor companies like John Deere, argues is that you, as an owner, don’t actually own your car. Rather, you’re sort of just borrowing it for an extended amount of time and paying for the rights to use the technology. If it sounds ridiculous— it is. But it gets even more ludicrous."

We're all just peasants and we don't own ANYTHING. Car title in your name? Paying for all the repairs and upkeep? Shouldering all the risk of loss? They don't care. They want you to pay for everything and them to make all the decisions. Wow. We really need to do something about this junk, because otherwise they're just gonna take more and more, because you don't even own your own car that you out right purchased...?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9949 on: April 23, 2015, 02:42:53 pm »

Would they actually be able to enforce it though? The piracy justification doesn't seem very sound, since you could pirate music with any computer you can install software to.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9950 on: April 23, 2015, 02:48:35 pm »

So basically Apple, except with cars. :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9951 on: April 23, 2015, 03:00:29 pm »

It's all crazy but you'd be surprised what money will let people get away with.

Nobody's united as a population anymore and if you suggest that then they blow you off as either a crook, a crackpot, or a curmudgeon. No unions, no communities, no nothing. Meanwhile, these corporations are enormous and well funded and organized. Gee, I wonder why they're winning.

Nobody wants to fund any sort of fight against these corporations and if you suggest that you get everything from, "we shouldn't HAVE to pay for that. It should just be done," (get real), "You want MONEY for doing that?" (Yes, it'd be a hard job), to "You'd just become as corrupt as them or wouldn't be able to do anything," (love the vote of confidence in spite of track record, but ok...).

Best part, they're going to own everything eventually and you'll own nothing, living off their charaity that you should worship them for being so nice as to give you. They're going to slip it into impossibly long contracts they know nobody will read or be able to, and if you try to read it, they'll refuse to so much as look at you.

They'll put computers in your home and say you can't modify any of that. Then your insurance company will either mandate you have this shit or jack up the price of your policy a ton if you don't. You won't own anything.

You don't own the software on your computer. It's all a license to use now, and it didn't used to be that way. Examples abound, and it's all bullshit, but you'd be surprised what organization and actual money will do. Shame we won't have any of either before long, but corporations will....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9952 on: April 23, 2015, 03:29:10 pm »

Did anyone ever say they're not monopolies? I've heard them referred to as such a lot of the time.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9953 on: April 23, 2015, 03:34:55 pm »

I guess politicians and lawyers just aren't as up for a rousing game of "Bust the Trust" as they used to be. I don't blame them either, it would be a daunting task to say the least.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #9954 on: April 23, 2015, 05:26:49 pm »

Large civilizations inevitably tend towards ruin. This time, instead of the Romans or French or English, it will be all but a few. It seems we still haven't found the correct path, hopefully this time it will still be possible to recover from.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9955 on: April 23, 2015, 05:37:20 pm »

thats so tru man

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #9956 on: April 23, 2015, 06:26:09 pm »

I feel like it will be significantly harder this time around, however.
The circle is complete.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9957 on: April 23, 2015, 06:43:10 pm »

WOOPS WRONG THREAD

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9958 on: April 23, 2015, 06:52:35 pm »

Hasn't the nature of ownership always been transient, though?  If you have debt or would fall into debt without an income, then you only "own" anything as long as you continue making profit for someone richer than you, exacerbating the circumstances that put you in this position in the first place (wealth consolidation).  As soon as you don't it can all be taken away.  That's not ownership any more than renting is ownership.  The only people who have ever truly owned anything are royalty and the independently wealthy.  This is why I think the concept of property is totally bunk, and all ownership should be based rather on the concept of possession.

Intellectual property is fucking horrendously awful stuff.  Extremely predatory in nature.  But it hasn't really changed the nature of the game.  Just made it more aggressive.

I feel like it will be significantly harder this time around, however.

If we wait too long, it won't be possible.  The stakes have never included environmental destruction on a global scale before, and if we don't beat that boss within the time limit, then civilization will have used up its last extra life.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #9959 on: April 23, 2015, 07:03:59 pm »

The concept of IP I believe is sound and reasonable, it's just that it is repeatedly abused via such things as Patent Trolls, Apple (thankfully failing) to make the letter 'i' theirs, and Cadbury trademarking a fucking color.

Human nature prefers corruption. The stakes are high, but the ones with the power to beat that boss will fail to do so because it may cost them 1/10000th of their power, and those with the will to try shall not succeed because they lack what is necessary.

At least, that's the pessimistic interpretation. It is quite likely that we are nearing the Despair Event Horizon, however.

The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 759