Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1275559 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8580 on: November 12, 2014, 02:07:45 am »

Ooh, in the case of the drugged-up mom & impending damage to the fetus: if not surgery, what about other non-voluntary/forced treatments? Say a Narcan injection, or somehow force-feeding a self-poisoned lady activated charcoal?

the fuck is this "ooh?" I am enjoying this a lot less than you seem to be.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8581 on: November 12, 2014, 02:11:49 am »

Ooh, in the case of the drugged-up mom & impending damage to the fetus: if not surgery, what about other non-voluntary/forced treatments? Say a Narcan injection, or somehow force-feeding a self-poisoned lady activated charcoal?

the fuck is this "ooh?" I am enjoying this a lot less than you seem to be.

shit you're the one who brought something that's got nothing left to discuss in it and expected it to be discussed

don't blame the guy who's trying to deliver anything i mean it's pretty obvious he's pulling extremes out of his ass

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8582 on: November 12, 2014, 02:15:01 am »

Well no, tack is actually the person who brought on the latest bought of discussion, not vector.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8583 on: November 12, 2014, 02:21:19 am »

No.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8584 on: November 12, 2014, 02:30:52 am »

Vector, (and lsp? not sure if you're being snide with the 'ass-pulling'), if talking about this kind of thing affects you adversely, you're not forced to read. I can spoiler more sensitive content if you'd like.
But these kinds of extreme cases, while exceedingly rare, do happen in real life, and it's these kinds of cases that break codified law. The minute technical possibilities are what's important when you're trying to draft this kinda stuff.

@Leafsnail
If the fetus does gain personhood while in the womb though, why should the law see attempted feticide any different from attempted infanticide?

Hm, what about in cases where the woman owns her own aircraft?

So where does her body end and the fetus' begin? Does the fetus own their body when they gain personhood? If yes, why shouldn't taking harmful drugs that can cross the placental barrier constitute a criminal action by the mother? If no,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8585 on: November 12, 2014, 02:33:19 am »

In a case where I own an aircraft... what? They can force me to take charcoal? LOL
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8586 on: November 12, 2014, 03:02:50 am »

In a case where I own an aircraft... what? They can force me to take charcoal? LOL
Way to avoid the issue, Vec.

Core problem: A child right before birth is no different from a child right after birth, so endangering a viable child must be on the same moral and juristic level as endangering an infant, i.e. a fully grown person - because you don't want to go the Peter Singer "Infanticide is totally moral" route.
I don't see what's wrong with Grizzly's examples, even if they're a bit forced: The choice between mother and late-term (nobody's talking about the first three months here) child is the same as between any other two people, with the added 'Matroshka' difficulty. But engaging in unnecessarily risky behaviour and killing the child in the process should certainly count as negligent manslaughter or whatever the English term is.
How about this as a rough guide:
1-3 months: We're certain this is not a person. Abortions etc. are fine.
3-6 months: We don't really know if it's a person, so we'll err on the side of caution. No abortions, but the fetus isn't counted as a whole person when pitted against the mother.
6-9 months: It's a person now, and thus has equal rights to the mother. When having to choose between mother and child, it's probably still sensible to give slightly more weight to the mother's well-being.
Do note that I know next to nothing about the finer details of gestation, so the exact times (especially regarding the last trimester) could be off. There's still some points left: What about alcohol during the first trimester? There isn't a person yet who can be harmed, but there will be in the future, unless an abortion takes place. There's probably analogous situations for which there's already precedent, though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8587 on: November 12, 2014, 03:14:33 am »

If the fetus does gain personhood while in the womb though, why should the law see attempted feticide any different from attempted infanticide?
They only gain personhood under stupid legal systems that regularly put the lives of pregnant women in danger.
Hm, what about in cases where the woman owns her own aircraft?
You're allowed to put yourself in danger if you want.
So where does her body end and the fetus' begin? Does the fetus own their body when they gain personhood? If yes, why shouldn't taking harmful drugs that can cross the placental barrier constitute a criminal action by the mother? If no,
If someone has chosen to carry their baby to term then they have responsibilities as a parent, and it's probably not unreasonable to include "don't give your child horrible alcohol/drug related problems when they're born" among them.  You could probably invoke some kind of neglect law against that.

Dunno why you spoiled the last part or what you're getting at with that, it's entirely irrelevant to the stupid hypotheticals you're concocting (and also the answer is obviously no, even if there's a connection it's not part of her body anymore).

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8588 on: November 12, 2014, 03:32:06 am »

So her fingers aren't part of her body because they're not inside? What about my penis? Is it not part of my body?

EDIT: HER FINGERS! NOT MINE! Ohmygodohmygodohmygod...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 06:24:59 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8589 on: November 12, 2014, 04:11:05 am »

Oh god helgoland >.<

@leafsnail
Keep in mind the hypotheticals are set in late-term pregnancy.
As helgo said in the post before, the baby right outside the womb is no different than it was just before it came out.
So does being birthed magically make the baby a person? Does a C-section have the same magic? What about vat-grown babies?
Can a mother do whatever she pleases with the child right up until 'it' is no longer 'part of her body', (since it hasn't gotten personhood yet and therefore has no protections under the law)?

You can endanger yourself, but can you endanger the second person sharing your body? This comes down to when personhood is granted.

Ah now we're getting into the same territory as 'injury' during the first trimester- 'ex post facto' law where the parent's actions aren't illegal while they're doing it, and the state can't stop them from doing it, but later on it becomes retro-actively illegal after the baby's been born & the damage has been done.
I spoiled it as it's a rather charged line, which is something I offered to do for Vector earlier in the post.
Why isn't the child a part of her body anymore? Because the tyke isn't enveloped? How does this logic apply to other things that can be enveloped?

Here's my post from when we first started the discussion on p576 btw.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 04:13:42 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8590 on: November 12, 2014, 07:59:33 am »

@leafsnail
Keep in mind the hypotheticals are set in late-term pregnancy.
As helgo said in the post before, the baby right outside the womb is no different than it was just before it came out.
So does being birthed magically make the baby a person? Does a C-section have the same magic? What about vat-grown babies?
Can a mother do whatever she pleases with the child right up until 'it' is no longer 'part of her body', (since it hasn't gotten personhood yet and therefore has no protections under the law)?
Does being conceived magically make the embryo a person?  Does hitting 22 weeks magically make the fetus a person?  There's no easy answer to this question.  However, this is all completely and utterly irrelevant to my argument - I do not care when someone "becomes a person".  I care about letting women have control over their own bodies, and making sure that they are not arbitrarily put in danger or violated just because they're pregnant.  Once the child has left the woman's body (by any method, I don't know why you thought any of those examples would throw me for a loop) this bodily autonomy argument no longer applies.
You can endanger yourself, but can you endanger the second person sharing your body? This comes down to when personhood is granted.
It's not granted until birth under all sensible legal systems, so there's your answer.
Ah now we're getting into the same territory as 'injury' during the first trimester- 'ex post facto' law where the parent's actions aren't illegal while they're doing it, and the state can't stop them from doing it, but later on it becomes retro-actively illegal after the baby's been born & the damage has been done.
That's not what ex posto facto means.  If I promise people that I will invest their money wisely then go and spend it all on booze then my previous statement retroactively becomes criminal fraud even though it was a fine thing to do at the time - there's no contradiction here at all.
Why isn't the child a part of her body anymore? Because the tyke isn't enveloped? How does this logic apply to other things that can be enveloped?
This is a really stupid argument, I don't think you can honestly believe it works.  When an embryo or fetus is within the womb it's entirely dependent on the mother's blood supply for survival, just like all the other parts of her body and unlike those silly examples you're giving.  If it's something that is using your heart, your lungs, your blood to survive then it is part of your body (if you're about to respond with some stupid parasitic example: yes, I have no problem with people removing parasites from their bodies).  This is obviously not the case after the baby is born, the umbilical cord can simply be severed and the baby will survive without relying on the mother's organs.
And opening any sort of dialogue on -when- this sort of 'physical body sharing' begins is risky as hell because you know republicans are going to push for the most unreasonably early time they can.
If the law enshrines fetal personhood at any point it's putting pregnant women at risk.  That is fucked and should not happen.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8591 on: November 12, 2014, 08:37:45 am »

Let's all chill a bit if we're going to keep discussing this.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8592 on: November 12, 2014, 09:21:11 am »

Vaccinations are different from almost every other health issue due to the fact that refusing to get one puts the whole of society in danger, not just you.
What are you gonna do, start kicking down doors because a few people didn't get their flu vaccines?
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8593 on: November 12, 2014, 09:26:56 am »

No you apply legal sanctions like under the current system

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8594 on: November 12, 2014, 09:31:08 am »

Well, in case of a pregnant woman, you put the child's future health at risk too.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 759