Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1275790 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8445 on: September 27, 2014, 01:04:49 pm »

Depends on the implementation I guess, such as what outcomes they measures, etc etc.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8446 on: September 28, 2014, 10:02:45 am »

I don't know- maybe it is a good idea.

The problem with the politics of crime in America is that the tough-on-crime section of the electorate is going to present a real threat to any elected official who tries to take revenge out of the equation. (Yes, I know my avatar is Mr. Tough-on-Crime. I'm more sympathetic to tough-on-crime than some people here, I'm sure, but that's neither here nor there).

If the goal is to get rid of tough-on-crime measures, it's going to be a while before elected officials are able to take steps towards it. However, privately owned prison companies are not elected, and profit is a powerful incentive-and not even necessarily an unethical one if it incentivizes the right stuff.

If the entire nation's prisons were privatized, let's say, and the rule was that "we're only going to pay you for inmate X if he doesn't get another felony charge within five years", I suspect that recidivism would drop much more sharply than the sort of incremental, half-hearted attempts legislators can make to solve the problem. Is it a good idea? Well, I'm somewhat wary of privatizing something that's so necessary and basic in a modern society, but if it works, I'd be willing to look into it.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8447 on: September 28, 2014, 10:33:41 am »

Or the prisons will cherry-pick the nicest, friendliest inmates they can. In fact I think they already do that where this kinda incentivisation is in effect, and it winds up skewing the numbers to make private prisons look better than they are. (and state prisons worse)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:37:25 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8448 on: September 28, 2014, 11:08:20 am »

The simplest fix there would be to simply take away the ability to cherry-pick who they incarcerate. It would probably make it harder to run a profitable prison, but that's a dubious goal if ever I saw one.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8449 on: September 28, 2014, 11:08:36 am »

That's why you privatize every prison in the system.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8450 on: September 28, 2014, 11:26:33 am »

... profit motive and incarceration never seems to work, really.

I guess try full privatization providing the consequence for not seeing a nation-wide reduction in both recidivism and overall crime each year is the execution of every manager and owner involved in the industry? And maybe something similar for local stuff, so they can't just shove everything into a small area or something. I think I could get behind that. Maybe up to a minimum level, but... maybe not. I'm pretty okay with putting a bullet into cartel leadership, and they're profiting off crime as well. Maybe you should have to put your life on the line to be allowed to monetize ruined lives.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8451 on: September 28, 2014, 11:50:02 am »

Whatever the case, their income should just flat-out be unrelated to the number of prisoners they have. Cause that's obviously some twisted incentivization there.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8452 on: September 28, 2014, 12:49:32 pm »

If it's results based (like FJ suggested) then more (successfully treated) prisoners leading to more pay seems like it would be fine to me. And that would get around the problem of each prison wanting to take the least number of prisoners if it had no effect on their pay as well.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8453 on: September 28, 2014, 02:13:34 pm »

You'd have to be wary of prison businesses that develop relations with police and judges.  They could just as easily sabotage prosecutions against guilty people to help with recidivism statistics as much as they currently favor prosecutions against innocent people to help prisons stay populated.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8454 on: September 28, 2014, 02:17:31 pm »

You'd have to be wary of prison businesses that develop relations with police and judges.  They could just as easily sabotage prosecutions against guilty people to help with recidivism statistics as much as they currently favor prosecutions against innocent people to help prisons stay populated.
Yup. Never underestimate the ingenuity of the greedy.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8455 on: September 28, 2014, 06:22:16 pm »

Yeah, but having guilty people go free is better in my opinion then having innocent people go to jail.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8456 on: September 28, 2014, 06:39:12 pm »

Yes... But we could skip the whole thing and just axe the privatized prisons.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8457 on: September 28, 2014, 06:44:39 pm »

Indeed. But that can't happen right away, we need to ease into it or the industry's very powerful lobby will push back. They have to already be dying when they're finished off. And if they do society some good on the way out then good for them. They aren't inherently bad or something, they've just been pushed in a bad direction.
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8458 on: September 28, 2014, 07:08:54 pm »

Yeah, but having guilty people go free is better in my opinion then having innocent people go to jail.

I agree.  But the whole point is you're undermining the purpose of the institution either way.

They aren't inherently bad or something, they've just been pushed in a bad direction.

I think the typical argument by those opposed to privatization of the justice system, including myself, is that using profit as an incentive in any fashion is likely to push it in a bad direction.  It's more profitable to minimally invest in cheating the metrics than it is to invest a great deal more in operating in good faith to create genuine progress.  And as long as profit is the fundamental motivator, those at the highest levels of decision-making (also held the most responsible for maximizing profitability) will see to it that any such shortcuts available are taken advantage of.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 07:11:33 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8459 on: September 28, 2014, 07:30:06 pm »

Oh, I agree. I personally think "prison industry" should eventually be damn near an oxymoron, but this process needs to be very gradual. If anything moves too fast it'll probably be dead in committee before it ever goes to a vote.

Edit: To clarify, I think we need to use Salami Tactics to succeed.
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 759