Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1273615 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8145 on: February 14, 2014, 10:46:56 pm »

There are potential problems with monitoring public areas, but the arguments are pretty different to those against monitoring people's private communications (stuff that people reasonably expected to be kept secret).  Conflating the two doesn't help your argument at all.
I don't believe the government should have the right to do either. Recently a us police department said their was nothing wrong with them using aerial surveillance to observe residential areas and that people were silly for caring that they could see into their fenced backyards.
Again, public is different to private.
Are you telling me that people have no expectation of privacy in their own fenced in backyards?
I don't think they should. Fenced yards are an odd thing, because on one hand the normal person walking on the street can't see through them, on the other, a plane can fly over and take pictures, a satellite could do the same. It's a bit of an inbetween thing and people have to realize that.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8146 on: February 14, 2014, 10:51:54 pm »

I don't believe the government should have the right to do either.
Ok.  That doesn't mean you can use the same arguments for both.

Recently a us police department said their was nothing wrong with them using aerial surveillance to observe residential areas and that people were silly for caring that they could see into their fenced backyards.
I don't see how this fact relates to your previous sentence or the point I was making.

Are you telling me that people have no expectation of privacy in their own fenced in backyards?
No.  He's saying that there's a difference between being surveillance in public and private areas.  In fact you clearly agree with that, otherwise this objection you're raising makes no sense.

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
  • 1. To cover, plate, edge, or point with steel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8147 on: February 14, 2014, 11:07:29 pm »

I don't believe the government should have the right to do either.
Ok.  That doesn't mean you can use the same arguments for both.
The government openly and secretly spies on people and then uses that information against the peoples best interest. Can I use all of the same arguments? No. Can I use the vast majority? Yeah.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8148 on: February 15, 2014, 03:18:29 am »

OldNewBusiness: Remember that Kansas bill thing from earlier? They might just have the tiniest bit of self-awareness after all.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8149 on: February 15, 2014, 05:33:31 am »

I once accidentally shot myself in the crotch with pepper spray.  (I thought "pepper blaster" mean it was a strange kind of pepper grinder). I can report that capsaicin is quite effective incapacitating me for several hours.

Sigged!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8150 on: February 15, 2014, 11:59:45 am »

-maybe later-
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 12:07:20 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8151 on: February 15, 2014, 12:09:23 pm »

Still not trolling.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8152 on: February 15, 2014, 02:20:04 pm »

Is that directed at me? If so, u be the one trolling (post designed to inflame a response).

What I edited out was not related to the previous discussion, it was a new news article on politics in Venezuela, but more details are coming in other articles that somewhat contradict the first story, so I deleted it to avoid needless confusion until there are more details.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8153 on: February 15, 2014, 06:23:06 pm »

That'd still not be trolling, that'd be flame baiting. I'm not trolling, I'm just pointing out that no one is trolling the Venezuelan government as of this moment, as fun as that would be. The rest of your post I don't particularly seem to understand, considering you appear to be accusing me of accusing you with a negative over something that you redacted.
~o.o~

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8154 on: February 15, 2014, 08:33:04 pm »

When you pop in randomly and say "Still not trolling," without any immediate context except someone who editted out a post, it's not that hard to take a widdle step to a conclusion.

Anyway, who ever said anything about trolling in the past 5 pages? Let alone one related to Venezuela.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8155 on: February 15, 2014, 10:15:39 pm »

That'd still not be trolling, that'd be flame baiting.

Pretty sure they're synonymous. Look at GameFAQs' definition:

Trolling is not someone posting an opinion that differs from yours, but someone posting a message designed to get others mad enough to violate one of the other rules. Going on a board and posting "This game sucks and everybody who enjoys it is stupid" is trolling, and nothing good will come of it. Going on a board and posting "I hated this game, the controls were awful," isn't trolling, although it may not be popular opinion. Even if you disagree, you can either debate the user on their points or just ignore it.

Trolling: Provoking other users to respond inappropriately

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8156 on: February 16, 2014, 05:19:28 am »

Anyway, who ever said anything about trolling in the past 5 pages? Let alone one related to Venezuela.
Edited out by Reelya.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's more emphasis on deceitfulness, but this derail has gone on long enough and I'll stop.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8157 on: February 16, 2014, 06:21:30 am »

Well, what exactly was the context of "Still not trolling" then? you're kinda beating around the bush on that.

BTW I only pointed out what my edited-out comment was about to make it clear that it wasn't in relation to that heated rape discussion that happened recently. Your comment made it sound like I'd said something inflammatory.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8158 on: February 16, 2014, 06:43:16 am »

Well, what exactly was the context of "Still not trolling" then? you're kinda beating around the bush on that.
You wrote the context, about people trolling Venezuela over accused Venezuelan censorship of protestors.

BTW I only pointed out what my edited-out comment was about to make it clear that it wasn't in relation to that heated rape discussion that happened recently. Your comment made it sound like I'd said something inflammatory.
Not really no. Do you want to move this to PMs because this is drawing out far longer than it should.

And now people are accusing the Venezuelan government of deploying adamsite gas. This is why I consider the accusations above "trolling." This could be serious.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:54:21 pm by Loud Whispers »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8159 on: February 16, 2014, 08:06:02 pm »

Flame baiting is... most definitely a type of trolling, for any reasonable definition of the term. I've seen you argue this a whole lot of times - might be good to publicly get it out of the way somewhere. But not here. Stupid semantic debates are less important that actual stuff happening.

can someone bring me up to date on WHY the government is bringing out the riot gas?
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 759