Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245287 times)

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8085 on: February 14, 2014, 12:56:50 pm »

Fair. I usually just slow down and let them put distance between, if they want. Given the time of night and level of intoxication at which this scenario comes up, it's not like I have a pressing need to be anywhere quickly =P
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8086 on: February 14, 2014, 01:08:03 pm »

Ah. Around here we call those "alleyways" o_o
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8087 on: February 14, 2014, 01:08:57 pm »

Eh. Are you obligated to cross to the other side of the street? No, probably not. Can it be a nice thing you do to make somebody else's day better? I don't really think this is a case where we ought to be codifying principles of behavior to be enforced, but it does seem like a perspective worth being aware of so you can properly demonstrate courtesy to people who might hold it (which seems like a reasonably large number of people).
In a large damned city it is impossible to think like this, on both ends. It's impossible to think and act as if everyone is out to get you, and it is impossible to think and act as if you are out to get everyone.
Commute with common sense.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8088 on: February 14, 2014, 01:23:21 pm »

It's still symptomatic treatment, not actually solving the problem. By avoiding situations were you experience fear, you have not solved your fear.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8089 on: February 14, 2014, 01:52:05 pm »

Not such a good idea. If the woman ahead of you is already freaked by your presence, what's she gonna think when she hears your footsteps speed up? Recipe for a macing, is that.
Anybody that attacks another with mace unprovoked like that should be arrested for assault. Don't teach me not to walk, teach women not to mace!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8090 on: February 14, 2014, 01:55:15 pm »

"Women should be taught to defend themselves instead of making me do anything to help them feel safe, but they had better not effectively defend themselves because that could cause collateral damage to me!" - Max White
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8091 on: February 14, 2014, 01:55:58 pm »

And so begins the caricature phase of the fight.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8092 on: February 14, 2014, 01:59:33 pm »

I'm sorry, but that was too good to pass up. It was like he was parodying himself.

The only effective way to use mace is to use it before you are overpowered by your attacker on the street. If someone thinks you are threatening them, and they use mace, they are using mace effectively. It's the only way it works as a tactic. You can't tell people that their only option is to defend themselves, and then force them to deal with bullshit that they can only use it on people who have overpowered them -- when that means that they can't use it!
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8093 on: February 14, 2014, 02:00:05 pm »

"Women should be taught to defend themselves instead of making me do anything to help them feel safe, but they had better not effectively defend themselves because that could cause collateral damage to me!" - Max White
So a women deciding to turn around and mace a guy just for walking quickly is now "effectively defend themselves"? No, it is not. I'm sorry but paranoia is not just cause for self defense. That is literally, down to the letter the exact same as the gay panic defense, except replace "Creepy gay deviant" with "Uncontrolled male rapist".

And so begins the caricature phase of the fight.
I'm used to it...

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8094 on: February 14, 2014, 02:03:03 pm »

Please respond to my second post.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8095 on: February 14, 2014, 02:07:22 pm »

The only effective way to use mace is to use it before you are overpowered by your attacker on the street. If someone thinks you are threatening them, and they use mace, they are using mace effectively. It's the only way it works as a tactic. You can't tell people that their only option is to defend themselves, and then force them to deal with bullshit that they can only use it on people who have overpowered them -- when that means that they can't use it!

If the only way to implement a tactic is with random, unprovoked attacks, it is a bad tactic.
Where Sheb is 'good' mace is illegal, and I didn't know about the huge rise in rape and muggings against women in Belgium. Maybe we should look at other measures that don't revolve around attacking random people on the street when you feel the need.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8096 on: February 14, 2014, 02:11:58 pm »

You are completely ignoring the fact that you are being perceived as a threat, and doing absolutely nothing within your power to change that perception. You are ignoring the fact that people have been educated to view you, personally, as a threat. You are ignoring the treatment of both the symptoms and the disease at the same time by putting the blame completely on the woman instead of the shitty system in which you happen to be a willing/unwilling cog.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8097 on: February 14, 2014, 02:16:00 pm »

"You are completely ignoring the fact that you are being perceived as a sexual partner, and doing absolutely nothing within your power to change that perception. You are ignoring the fact that people have been educated to view you, personally, as a sexual partner. You are ignoring the treatment of both the symptoms and the disease at the same time by putting the blame completely on the man instead of the shitty system in which you happen to be a willing/unwilling cog." ~ Willfor, on why women should be required to wear burkas or else get raped.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: February 14, 2014, 02:18:26 pm »

You are completely ignoring the fact that you are being perceived as a threat, and doing absolutely nothing within your power to change that perception. You are ignoring the fact that people have been educated to view you, personally, as a threat. You are ignoring the treatment of both the symptoms and the disease at the same time by putting the blame completely on the woman instead of the shitty system in which you happen to be a willing/unwilling cog.
Wee Strawman

Anyway, we should be disbanding the USA, NATO, and EU as well, an unanimously start worshipping the Great and Glorious Kim-Yong-Un
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:20:05 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8099 on: February 14, 2014, 02:19:28 pm »

If the only way to implement a tactic is with random, unprovoked attacks, it is a bad tactic.
I would disagree, it is a highly efficient tactic.
This is why you should all vote me in as supreme overlord of planet Earth, the Bay12 secret police's random abductions would be sure to keep any would-be assaulters tip on their toes!
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 759