Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1273632 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7980 on: January 14, 2014, 06:35:48 pm »

It's not as difficult for armor as it is for clothing because the armor is worn over clothing, and you don't worry about the way that it looks in the same way as clothing.  If someone is complaining that their armor doesn't fit right, chances are that it fits very poorly.  I've worn armor that doesn't fit before, and it's very physically taxing compared to armor that does fit.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7981 on: January 14, 2014, 06:36:25 pm »

Well I'm under the impression this is also true, although there is no maths of science behind it, simply experience with clothes shopping, knowing that there are a lot more different fitting clothes for different female body types than male. Men have an easier time fitting into stuff because we don't have breasts to contend with. They tend to vary in size, and it is a logistical pain in the ass.

So do dicks... I know men who have a hell of a time finding pants that fit in the crotch.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: January 14, 2014, 06:37:29 pm »

Boobs are the least limiting factor in armor, and have been throughout history. Unless one is the exception, simple binding takes care of the problem. The real limiting factors are the places where the armor rests on the hips and shoulders because these are where the weight of the armor is supposed to fit very well to ensure that someone can use it for long duration without experiencing exhaustion. Well fit armor barely makes it presence known to the wearer, and poorly fit armor is hell on earth.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7983 on: January 14, 2014, 06:40:20 pm »

To be honest, I've seen a LOT of wildly different male body types, from the hulking muscular to the skinny to the runner-type to the husky to the swimming type, that I'm not so sure that "They have different sizes of breasts!" is all that great an indicator.

Not to mention that if the army says "You must be between these two heights and weights to enlist", I can certainly see them saying "You must be between these two cup sizes to enlist". Though perhaps that'd be treading on dangerous ground.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7984 on: January 14, 2014, 06:41:09 pm »

It's not as difficult for armor as it is for clothing because the armor is worn over clothing, and you don't worry about the way that it looks in the same way as clothing.  If someone is complaining that their armor doesn't fit right, chances are that it fits very poorly.  I've worn armor that doesn't fit before, and it's very physically taxing compared to armor that does fit.
So if a fit will fit a more busty woman about as well as a flat chested woman, why won't a fit made for a flat chested man also work?

So do dicks... I know men who have a hell of a time finding pants that fit in the crotch.
Yea, that can be true if you are wearing skinny jeans, but lets face it, you would need to be some sort of Roman god for that to be an issue any other way. I'm sorry but for the vast majority of pants a man will wear this is not an issue.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: January 14, 2014, 06:43:31 pm »

So if a fit will fit a more busty woman about as well as a flat chested woman, why won't a fit made for a flat chested man also work?
Have you ever looked at a woman before

I mean, at parts other than the breasts.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: January 14, 2014, 06:44:08 pm »

Usually requiring your soldier to be able to run takes care of the larger cup sizes.

Yea, that can be true if you are wearing skinny jeans, but lets face it, you would need to be some sort of Roman god for that to be an issue any other way. I'm sorry but for the vast majority of pants a man will wear this is not an issue.

.... The guy I was talking about wasn't wearing skinny jeans.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7987 on: January 14, 2014, 06:45:56 pm »

Usually requiring your soldier to be able to run takes care of the larger cup sizes.

.... The guy I was talking about wasn't wearing skinny jeans.
I'm afraid I can't call him anything then a statistical outlier then.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #7988 on: January 14, 2014, 06:47:51 pm »

It strikes me as being a bit of a waste of money to make women their own armour, considering more than half of women can't even pass the basic upper strength tests. Keep in mind, those are the bare minimum requirements, so even just barely making those requirements would make you a big liability.

This is basically a gigantic publicity stunt by the DoD. It isn't like adding women to the active services is going to somehow increase their effectiveness, and if anything it won't be long before they start loosening standards to let more women in (since "10% of women make it through basic training" isn't so good for publicity), and that's before all of the practical issues.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: January 14, 2014, 06:51:55 pm »

It strikes me as being a bit of a waste of money to make women their own armour, considering more than half of women can't even pass the basic upper strength tests. Keep in mind, those are the bare minimum requirements, so even just barely making those requirements would make you a big liability.

This is basically a gigantic publicity stunt by the DoD. It isn't like adding women to the active services is going to somehow increase their effectiveness, and if anything it won't be long before they start loosening standards to let more women in (since "10% of women make it through basic training" isn't so good for publicity), and that's before all of the practical issues.
And you somehow think "military loosens training standards for diversity" is going to be good publicity? Everybody knows women have lesser ability to grow muscle mass, it's not surprising they have trouble getting into the Marines (who have the toughest standards anyway). Anyway, if you can pass the basic strength tests, you aren't a liability. That's what the tests are for. Strength is important but it isn't the most important aspect in the age of machine guns and drone strikes, not by far.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: January 14, 2014, 07:04:00 pm »

And you somehow think "military loosens training standards for diversity" is going to be good publicity? Everybody knows women have lesser ability to grow muscle mass, it's not surprising they have trouble getting into the Marines (who have the toughest standards anyway). Anyway, if you can pass the basic strength tests, you aren't a liability. That's what the tests are for. Strength is important but it isn't the most important aspect in the age of machine guns and drone strikes, not by far.

Women are now signing up for positions in the infantry, not as drone operators. In the infantry (and the marines, etc), soldiers are expected to carry over 100 pounds of equipment at any given time, cover very long distances quickly, and do all of this while in the middle of a firefight. While strength isn't important in the old sense of swinging a sword or bayonet in close quarters, it is important in the sense that you have to carry so much weight for so long, which (if recent studies are anything to go by) is even worse for women due to muscle tear. This is, again, ignoring all of the temporary, cultural downsides, like the macho Western instinct to protect a woman above other priorities, the substantially increased costs from having to adjust equipment, and so on.

Also, the USMC minimum requirements are:
-3 pull ups
-100 crunches in 2 minutes
-3 miles in 18 minutes

Are those exceptionally hard requirements that only the strongest can manage? Once again, those are the bare minimum requirements, and it isn't a good sign if most can't even manage to hit that.

EDIT: Whoops, I actually overestimated the minimum requirements. Hypothetically, a person could pass with 3 miles in 28 minutes or 40 crunches in 2 minutes.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 07:08:52 pm by GreatJustice »
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: January 14, 2014, 07:09:25 pm »

"-3 pull ups"

Seriously xD?

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: January 14, 2014, 07:10:26 pm »

"-3 pull ups"

Seriously xD?

Yeah, they aren't terribly restrictive. They're quite a bit higher in the UK, for example.

Oh, and if anyone wants proof that I'm not making this up as a joke, here you go

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7993 on: January 14, 2014, 07:13:11 pm »

This is, again, ignoring all of the temporary, cultural downsides, like the macho Western instinct to protect a woman above other priorities
This is a biological instinct in men, not some temporary cultural thing. Hardwired right into the brain.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: January 14, 2014, 07:15:01 pm »

Okay so. Maybe I should come out and say this. I mean, I'm not in America, I'm in Canada. Still. I have an aunt in the armed forces, and if she gets into another combat situation -- she was on the ground in UN peacekeeping force in some hairy situations -- I want her to have effective body armor. I have a friend who was homeschooled in the same group as me, who wants to go into the armed forces, and if she gets into a combat situation I want her in combat armor that is effective.

Is this an unreasonable opinion? Am I asking too much not to have people I am personally associated with not die to faulty equipment? Is this an unreasonable thing for anyone to desire? Simply projecting my feelings onto people in America who may or may not have loved ones who go into combat situations, this is a real concern to people who exist and make up a not insignificant amount of people. Is it unreasonable to ask that they be treated fairly?

I live five minutes outside a military base, I work just outside a military base, and I see women in combat fatigues all the time. I see them in full kit when they're on training, running alongside the road. This issue is personal to me because I see people all the time who could very easily be affected by something such as this, and I know people who this can affect.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 759