Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1273433 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7800 on: September 13, 2013, 09:34:08 am »

if the legal resources were unavailable or inadequate i'd also consider alternative means i'll give you this much but after acknowledging he's been jailed you won't get anywhere without said legal system helping you
He's in jail for something completely unrelated and we ALL lose for him being in jail for that. Even the person he tormented says he shouldn't be in jail (for the thing he's in jail for).

The legal system IS unavailable and inadequate. He did NOT go to jail for his campaign to ruin someones life. He went to jail because he pissed off the people who run AT&T.

If the only legal protection is "hope he does something stupid to someone who isn't as helpless and me and can get revenge on him regardless of the law", that... err, yeah, I'm gonna say that's 'inadequate'.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7801 on: September 13, 2013, 09:39:40 am »

you know i did acknowledge right there i have no idea what the original stuff is so if you could pm me the gist of it or just put it here it would be great

i assumed this was a matter of abuse of the physical/financial kind mostly so that's what i were working off, in retrospect to do so wasn't the best idea but saying "violence is not the best answer" is always appropriate

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: September 13, 2013, 09:46:18 am »

Violence is never good, but it is sometimes a necessary evil.

Hell, or our entire legal and enforcement system is based on either this principal or outright 'violence is GOOD under certain circumstances' thinking. Honestly I prefer the necessary evil acknowledgement that even doing a bad thing for good reasons doesn't change the fact that you are doing a bad thing.

Violence often is, unfortunately, the best answer.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: September 13, 2013, 09:59:36 am »

Best answer does not make it a good one - simply the least bad.
This is a blank sig.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: September 13, 2013, 10:49:28 am »

Can we try and take this debate back to this specific case, firstly.  Are you advocating beating the shit out of internet trolls or what?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: September 13, 2013, 11:42:36 am »

I'm on the fence on the whole vaccination thing.  While it's obviously a public health concern and the anti-vaccers are basing their behavior on refuted evidence and bad priorities, their concern does align with some history that deserves heeding.  The government has intentionally administered harmful or experimental substances to unwitting and unwilling citizens in the past, and has done so in alliance with pharmaceutical companies.  Given the state of politics today, I see no reason to believe that this could not happen again or is not already happening.  Mandatory vaccinations would be about the most ideal opportunity for such abuses imaginable.

I'm definitely not one who buys into the disproven crap about vaccinations causing autism and stuff like that.  I have no reason to believe they are currently abused.  However, as much as I would like to trust authorities to use these tools exclusively for the benefit of public health, I simply can't.  I don't prevent my children from getting their essential immunizations or anything / the stuff that you guys are talking about.  But I don't bother with others such as the annual flu vaccine.

*hides*
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: September 13, 2013, 11:47:40 am »

I'm on the fence on the whole vaccination thing.  While it's obviously a public health concern and the anti-vaccers are basing their behavior on refuted evidence and bad priorities, their concern does align with some history that deserves heeding.  The government has intentionally administered harmful or experimental substances to unwitting and unwilling citizens in the past, and has done so in alliance with pharmaceutical companies.  Given the state of politics today, I see no reason to believe that this could not happen again or is not already happening.  Mandatory vaccinations would be about the most ideal opportunity for such abuses imaginable.

I'm definitely not one who buys into the disproven crap about vaccinations causing autism and stuff like that.  I have no reason to believe they are currently abused.  However, as much as I would like to trust authorities to use these tools exclusively for the benefit of public health, I simply can't.  I don't prevent my children from getting their essential immunizations or anything / the stuff that you guys are talking about.  But I don't bother with others such as the annual flu vaccine.

*hides*
those are good points

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7807 on: September 13, 2013, 12:22:41 pm »

*hides*
There is no incentive for them to do that, at least not with vaccines. Pharmaceutical companies make bank off of effective vaccines, and would suffer great profit loss if they ever did something like that.

You should not be risking your children's livelihoods by ignoring available medical treatments. Children can and have died of influenza, which kills ~50,000 people in the United States every year. I myself remember my case of it when I was a young child vividly because of how horrific it was.

Your children aren't very likely to ever encounter a polio virus, much less actually be infected, but I'm sure you got them that vaccine.

In the end, all vaccines are essential vaccines, and it is not just a person's prerogative but their responsibility to themselves and those around them to be vaccinated.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 12:24:28 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: September 13, 2013, 12:25:14 pm »

I thought the flu vaccine is only for senile old people.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: September 13, 2013, 12:26:55 pm »

In Europe it is generally only recommended for the elderly, but in the US it is recommended for everybody (which I think is a far sounder policy).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: September 13, 2013, 12:33:33 pm »

Also people like me, who are predisposed to catching pneumonia with any sort of respiratory infection.

There is a reason not to just vaccinate vaccinate vaccinate, which is that it is generally not good to have your immune system running around with no practice and with nothing to do.  However, we're not living in a mystery fantasy land where we've got vaccines against everything, and vaccines aren't 100%, etc.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7811 on: September 13, 2013, 12:46:08 pm »

Doesn't vaccination consist of injecting weakened/dead specimens into the bloodstream, thereby triggering the same immune reaction as happens during an actual infection.

Here's some interesting stuff. Nuclear weaponry in Europe is being updated. (Dutch article). Not all that informative.

Point is, the Nuclear weaponry in Europe (also Belgium) is gradually being exchanged for B-61 warheads.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 12:53:38 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: September 13, 2013, 12:53:20 pm »

Is it really exactly the same, though?

That's an honest question.  I know next to nothing about immunology.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7813 on: September 13, 2013, 12:54:30 pm »

Depends on the type of vaccine, I believe.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: September 13, 2013, 12:57:31 pm »

Depends on the type of vaccine, I believe.

Right.  Then that was the point I was trying to make--there's conceivably a point at which too many vaccines -> immune system doesn't get enough training, which should be taken into account even if we aren't there yet.

Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 759