Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 518 519 [520] 521 522 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1273373 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7785 on: September 12, 2013, 11:00:17 pm »

Because one was publicized and the other wasn't.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7786 on: September 12, 2013, 11:02:28 pm »

What doesn't help also Putnam is the fact that evidence that a child has autism generally happens after the shots.

Not because the shots cause autism but because autism doesn't show in a baby any earlier

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7787 on: September 12, 2013, 11:07:35 pm »

Wait it is the same stupid autism crud?

They already scientifically disproven the connection AND explained why the connection seemed to exist in the first place!

Why is this still a thing?

After also being destroyed in court, I have no idea.

What doesn't help also Putnam is the fact that evidence that a child has autism generally happens after the shots.

Signs of autism often still show up before that, as Eric Fombonne demonstrated in the above trial.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #7788 on: September 12, 2013, 11:41:53 pm »

Well why aren't you in favor of just having mandatory vaccinations for people who can have them?

In theory, I would be in favor of that, but in practice, it wouldn't work, because everyone would flip their shit, and because a certain party that will remain unnamed would set out to sabotage it, as they do every other useful thing we might use the government for. I still think we should push this from a cultural and societal perspective.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7789 on: September 13, 2013, 05:31:57 am »

I don't see what the problem is. More anti-vaccers => more dying anti-vaccers => fewer anti-vaccers.

It all works out, eventually.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7790 on: September 13, 2013, 05:39:04 am »

Not exactly. Virus have this nasty habit of spreading and mutating given the chance. This means that the more people who aren't vaccinated the higher the chance of a new strain that can affect everybody shows up. At the same time, the more people who are vaccinated the less people who carry the disease and the safer the non-vaccinated are.
Vaccinations work more on a community basis, where as the total percent of the population vaccinated is the best indicator to peoples safety.

Personally I think the best solution is public health care that is dependent on filling several conditions, such as being vaccinated, being a non-smoker, donating blood if possible, ect. That way people aren't being forced to do something, but they damn well have a good reason to, and the people who don't pull their weight aren't costing the system too much.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7791 on: September 13, 2013, 05:54:36 am »

There is actually a specific threshold for herd immunity, although it depends on the disease in question.  It basically depends on how many people each person with the disease would infect if no-one were immune.  In the case of measles, I think the number is roughly 11.  So to prevent the disease from spreading out of control just over 17 out of those 18 people need to be immune (on average), or about 94%.  That would mean that each person with measles would infect less than one other person on average, allowing the whole thing to burn out.

The complication is that the measles vaccine is only about 95% effective, so you really need to have as close to 100% coverage as possible.  That's also why the anti-vaccination movement is worrying even if your kids are vaccinated - they may be part of the 5% who are relying on herd immunity from the other 95%.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7792 on: September 13, 2013, 06:35:51 am »

Women and harassment on the internet.

Still is all so god damn horrible. What can I do about it, Vector? I have a lot of fire and no direction.
Love, scriver~

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7793 on: September 13, 2013, 07:39:40 am »

Women and harassment on the internet.

Still is all so god damn horrible. What can I do about it, Vector? I have a lot of fire and no direction.

Demand dignity for those whose rights have been violated.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7794 on: September 13, 2013, 08:54:05 am »

I don't see what the problem is. More anti-vaccers => more dying anti-vaccers => fewer anti-vaccers.

It all works out, eventually.
No, it doesn't. By breaking herd immunity, people who are incapable of receiving vaccinations and those whom have had their MMR vaccine wear off are put at risk.
Not exactly. Virus have this nasty habit of spreading and mutating given the chance. This means that the more people who aren't vaccinated the higher the chance of a new strain that can affect everybody shows up. At the same time, the more people who are vaccinated the less people who carry the disease and the safer the non-vaccinated are.
Vaccinations work more on a community basis, where as the total percent of the population vaccinated is the best indicator to peoples safety.
Measles doesn't have a fast enough mutation rate for that to be a serious threat in the immediate sense, but I suppose it is possible.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7795 on: September 13, 2013, 08:57:50 am »

Given long enough things can come back. Much better to eradicate a virus than leave it in the corners for a few generations to make a comeback.
Fun fact: If it isn't alive, I have no obligation to support biodiversity.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7796 on: September 13, 2013, 09:00:49 am »

what do you mean spooky scary skeletons aren't an important feature of earth's fauna and don't have to be protected so future generations can enjoy them

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7797 on: September 13, 2013, 09:05:30 am »

Okay I didn't account for collateral damage :V

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7798 on: September 13, 2013, 09:13:18 am »

Hell, I'd like to see someone hack into that guy's account and **** HIM over

I don't really believe in revenge, but yeah legal pursuits are something.
Funny that, I'm a big believer in revenge when it comes to this sort of thing. That's all people like that understand -- they do this shit because to them, there's no consequences for their actions. There need to be consequences, preferably ones that are severe enough to deter the next lulz-seeking asshole.

To borrow a line from The Untouchables, "They bring a knife, you bring a gun. They put one of yours in the hospital, you put one of theirs in the morgue."

I'm totally down with draining his bank accounts and landing him in prison (although he's already there). Launder the money and donate it to a non-profit for battered women.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7799 on: September 13, 2013, 09:23:00 am »

redkiiiiiiiing

violence breeds violence, if you apply violence instead of the legal alternatives you're up for a nice spiral

if the legal resources were unavailable or inadequate i'd also consider alternative means i'll give you this much but after acknowledging he's been jailed you won't get anywhere without said legal system helping you

oh, and take into consideration that the more brutal you get with punishments, the more incentive people get to abuse even harder to ensure the victim doesn't speak about it, or said victim gets put into a basement all fritzl-like so nobody gets to see its effects

i also have virtually no idea what i'm commenting on since this device likes to fuck shit up and does so splendidly
Pages: 1 ... 518 519 [520] 521 522 ... 759