Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1273301 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7710 on: September 08, 2013, 09:51:52 pm »

I think we should just avoid blogspam in general...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7711 on: September 09, 2013, 02:17:26 am »

From what I've seen, they basically just write terrible "feminist" hack jobs that are largely responsible for the Man-hating-feminazi stereotype. And thus greatly harm the feminist movement as a whole.

They are much worse than The Daily Mail.

As for Harley Quinn, I don't see the issue. The Tom & Jerry level depictions of violence and the darker themes surrounding such violence in a more realistic situation are a big part of what makes both her and The Joker's characters both amusing and absolutely terrifying. Suicide, and the threatening of it, is par for the course for the two of them.

With Quinn, hypersexualization is a big part of the character as well; and it isn't really meant to be sexy, but tragic. From what I recall, after falling in love with The Joker, she gave up a promising life, a good career, and eventually even her sanity, all in order to attempt to get him to love her in return. And yet, at the end of the all that, The Joker sees her as he sees everyone else; simply another piece in his grand game, worth no more than its potential future use. She's been objectified to the point where that's all that is left of herself.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7712 on: September 09, 2013, 02:24:28 am »

From what I've seen, they basically just write terrible "feminist" hack jobs that are largely responsible for the Man-hating-feminazi stereotype. And thus greatly harm the feminist movement as a whole.

They are much worse than The Daily Mail.

You know, they aren't a really reliable source of information, but citation needed for the idea that they're largely responsible for the man-hating feminazi stereotype, since that term has been around since 1992 thanks to Rush Limbaugh.  Perhaps it actually is an unfounded stereotype, seeing as apparently the person who put the term into common usage was Rush Limbaugh, not some poor young man who had just had it up to here with all that feminist man-hatin'.

Second of all, I'm not sure where you get off calling them much worse than the Daily Mail.  Yes, their articles often have holes in them, and no, I don't think they're an accurate source of information.  They still aren't publishing articles written by unattractive women, talking narcissistically about how much more attractive they are than other people and how they enjoy special treatment, just to create comment wars about how ugly the author is.  The Daily Mail is in a special circle of journalistic hell.

As for Harley Quinn, I don't see the issue. The Tom & Jerry level depictions of violence and the darker themes surrounding such violence in a more realistic situation are a big part of what makes both her and The Joker's characters both amusing and absolutely terrifying. Suicide, and the threatening of it, is par for the course for the two of them.

With Quinn, hypersexualization is a big part of the character as well; and it isn't really meant to be sexy, but tragic. From what I recall, after falling in love with The Joker, she gave up a promising life, a good career, and eventually even her sanity, all in order to attempt to get him to love her in return. And yet, at the end of the all that, The Joker sees her as he sees everyone else; simply another piece in his grand game, worth no more than its potential future use. She's been objectified to the point where that's all that is left of herself.

Which could be fascinating if we explored it from within, rather than without, gave Harley Quinn a story where she manages to get out of there, had some sort of story arc, whatever.  As-is it's a lot of very fancy explanation for why they get to have a female character on Maximum Objectification Mode.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7713 on: September 09, 2013, 03:35:52 am »

Here is the complete description for reference.

Quote from: DC
PANEL 1
Harley is on top of a building, holding a large DETACHED cellphone tower in her hands as lightning is striking just about everywhere except her tower. She is looking at us like she cannot believe what she is doing. Beside herself. Not happy.
PANEL 2
Harley is sitting in an alligator pond, on a little island with a suit of raw chicken on, rolling her eyes like once again, she cannot believe where she has found herself. We see the alligators ignoring her.
PANEL 3
Harley is sitting in an open whale mouth, tickling the inside of the whale’s mouth with a feather. She is ecstatic and happy, like this is the most fun ever.
PANEL 4
Harley sitting naked in a bathtub with toasters, blow dryers, blenders, appliances all dangling above the bathtub and she has a cord that will release them all. We are watching the moment before the inevitable death. Her expression is one of “oh well, guess that’s it for me” and she has resigned herself to the moment that is going to happen.

Note that Harley wears a "suit" of raw chicken, not a bikini.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7714 on: September 09, 2013, 06:41:57 am »

Also I'm an idiot. >_<

I read that last one three times, and it DOES say naked, I was just somehow unable to see it. Herp derp.

The whole concept still seems sort of... super cheap and a bit disturbing.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7715 on: September 09, 2013, 06:49:06 am »

I just don't buy the character justifications.  It doesn't make any sense for her to behave in a sexualized or objectifying fashion in situations that don't involve Joker.  In fact, I think it would be directly the opposite.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7716 on: September 10, 2013, 07:29:46 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24021573
Almost a quarter of men surveyed in a UN report looking at violence against women in parts of Asia have admitted to committing at least one rape.
Nearly three quarters of those who committed rape said they did so for reasons of "sexual entitlement".

Report author Dr Emma Fulu said: "They believed they had the right to have sex with the woman regardless of consent.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7717 on: September 10, 2013, 10:56:24 pm »

Almost a quarter of men surveyed in a UN report looking at violence against women in parts of Asia have admitted to committing at least one rape.
Nearly three quarters of those who committed rape said they did so for reasons of "sexual entitlement".

Report author Dr Emma Fulu said: "They believed they had the right to have sex with the woman regardless of consent.

Nope. I have no words.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7718 on: September 11, 2013, 03:04:38 pm »

Hey, look. Researchers say that segregation in the US is over forever! Celebrate!
  • The most standard segregation measure shows that american cities are now more integrated than they’ve been since 1910. Segregation rose dramatically with black migration to cities in the mid-twentieth century. On average, this rise has been entirely erased by integration since the 1960s.
  • All-white neighborhoods are effectively extinct. A half-century ago, one-fifth of America’s urban neighborhoods had exactly zero black residents. Today, African-American residents can be found in 199 out of every 200 neighborhoods nationwide. The remaining neighborhoods are mostly in remote rural areas or in cities with very little black population.
  • Gentrification and immigration have made a dent in segregation. While these phenomena are clearly important in some areas, the rise of black suburbanization explains much more of the decline in segregation.
  • Ghetto neighborhoods persist, but most are in decline. For every diversifying ghetto neighborhood, many more house a dwindling population of black residents.

Spoiler: Oh wait... (click to show/hide)

US Racial Distribution Map. Check out your hometown. It's surprising how stark these dividing lines are.

Wow... yeah. This is only tangentially related, but helps me understand how people can do that, and still feel okay about themselves. Maybe they justify it, because most of them did it first during adolescence, and never saw the consequences of that? But yeah... this is tough for me to process.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7719 on: September 11, 2013, 03:17:50 pm »

Well, at the very least my city seems to be EXTREMELY integrated, what looks to be the most integrated are of the region.

Also, the Asians are are eveywhere, tying everything together!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7720 on: September 11, 2013, 03:23:34 pm »

It's really a matter of time at this point. There are still plenty of people alive who own the home they owned back in segregation, and some of them have and will hand those homes down to their children, creating persisting racial lines.

Raleigh is interesting to me on that map. It's almost cut in half directly through the center of the city, though it is decently blurry.

Boone is about what I expected. All white people, all the time. It actually sort of creeped me out when I first lived here how much of this town is white, after living in Raleigh my whole life.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7721 on: September 11, 2013, 04:04:42 pm »

I like how I can pick out the historic neighbourhoods around here.

But yeah, there's definitely a lot of "black neighbourhood, white neighbourhood". Though to be fair I don't think there's very many which are now exclusively black or white.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7722 on: September 11, 2013, 04:20:18 pm »

Where I live there are no black people. I knew one family of Cubans in a town 30 miles away who were black but that's it. Everyone is white, though we have some Filipino people now and South Asians, but they are quite rare. Basically this regional authority is 99% white, and where I live within that authority, it's 99.999% white.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7723 on: September 11, 2013, 04:28:55 pm »

And lucky for me I live in the multicultural center of the world! Woo!

Though honestly even in ideal conditions you still get racial lines because of people's natural tendency to ghettoize (As in tend to live near people who are similar to themselves)

Though honestly, it is nice to actually see different cultures in your own city.

Though honestly.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7724 on: September 11, 2013, 05:29:13 pm »

I'm pretty sure the neighborhood my parents have lived in the past 13 years is 100% white.  And a couple Halloweens ago in said neighborhood, there was a guy running around in a blackface mask and a t-shirt that said something about Obama.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 759