Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1273531 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7650 on: August 26, 2013, 01:40:13 am »

As for BitCoin stability, I guess it'll increase as the user base widen and the percentage of purely speculative users diminish.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7651 on: August 26, 2013, 09:34:23 am »

As for BitCoin stability, I guess it'll increase as the user base widen and the percentage of purely speculative users diminish.
Na, the whole thing is going down within a decade, tops. It's a fad for True Believer internet libertarians, dumb speculators, and algorithmic traders; only the latter of which will come out with a net gain. Every day, its fluctuation is about what an actual currency fluctuates within a year. That's a stock, not a currency. Additionally, the more and faster it rises, the more speculation and thus the more instability it gets.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7652 on: August 26, 2013, 09:36:15 am »

I could see some of the electronic currencies surviving, but not Bitcoin. There was an article on some of the others that had fixes for Bitcoin's major failings, but I can't recall it at the moment.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7653 on: August 26, 2013, 09:40:56 am »

The difference between a stock and a currency is pretty minimal, by design. Its not like currency speculation is anything new. I dont know what the future holds for bitcoin - its biggest problems still remain, like the wallet thefts and the large scale oppoisition on the part of various official organizations - and there are still clear risks (if anyone ever starts accepting stolen bitcoincs - until now all the thefts have been speculative I believe). But I wouldnt write it off completely.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7654 on: August 27, 2013, 04:48:36 am »

One more proof that the way to balance the health care budget in the US does not have to be to cut services or raise payroll taxes. Bags of salty water that cost less than 1$ apiece are sold to patient for between 100$ and 1000$. The article claim that 1 billion of those saline water bags are used every year, if 100 dollars is an average price, I'll let you calculate for yourself what bringing the price of this thing down to 5$ (The European price) would save in money for patients and insurers.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:51:44 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7655 on: August 27, 2013, 11:07:26 am »

There was a political comic strip in an adult comic book I was reading that I found amusing, but I'm not sure if it's legal to post it here. Is it still a violation of copyright if I just copy that particular strip?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7656 on: August 27, 2013, 11:08:52 am »

There was a political comic strip in an adult comic book I was reading that I found amusing, but I'm not sure if it's legal to post it here. Is it still a violation of copyright if I just copy that particular strip?

Its for educational purposes to inform discussion. It falls under fair use.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7657 on: August 27, 2013, 11:10:04 am »

I'll take it down right away if there's a problem.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #7658 on: September 02, 2013, 09:02:27 pm »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7659 on: September 03, 2013, 05:41:33 am »

Yeah, this kind of people should be tried for high treason and then shot. Regardless of the court's decision :P

Seriously, though: Impeding the state as one of its agents is just about the worst crime there is in a normal society; it goes not against a select few, but against all people there are in the state.
Corruption might be the best example. Why's Africa so damn poor? Screw wars, screw lack of education - China used to be even worse. No, it's the lack of a functioning state that's keeping it the miserable dump that it for the most part is.
And every corrupt civil servant is one more step in that direction. Every civil servant who acts in his own interest instead of the state's.
/rant
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #7660 on: September 03, 2013, 09:33:19 am »

Oh, it's worse than that- this guy isn't working against Obamacare for his interest, he's working against it cause he's convinced himself that it's the right thing to do. That's why he's bragging about it. Because you see, Government cannot ever do anything right, and if it would, the Republican party will take it upon themselves to make sure it doesn't.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7661 on: September 03, 2013, 10:11:21 am »

Seriously, though: Impeding the state as one of its agents is just about the worst crime there is in a normal society; it goes not against a select few, but against all people there are in the state.

Yet typically one of the least punished :[
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7662 on: September 03, 2013, 10:59:44 am »

Glad to see my "try them for treason" stance related to public servants is catching on.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7663 on: September 03, 2013, 11:52:12 am »

Glad to see my "try them for treason" stance related to public servants is catching on.

I was on board that from the beginning.  I'm really not sure anyone wasn't.  I think it's just ignored because people don't want to smash their faces against the classic "Who watches the watchmen" conundrum.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7664 on: September 03, 2013, 04:06:47 pm »

I was on board that from the beginning.  I'm really not sure anyone wasn't.  I think it's just ignored because people don't want to smash their faces against the classic "Who watches the watchmen" conundrum.
Pitchforks and meat hooks.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 759