Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245379 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #6765 on: July 25, 2013, 08:00:59 pm »

Anyway, I was dropping by to quickly mention that a friend of mine was just turned down for a job.  They told him that they paid Facebook for access to his account, saw that he's not a christian, and rejected him purely on that basis.  Rather infuriating.

Isn't that illegal? To reject someone on a religious basis?
Yes, it is very, very illegal.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: July 25, 2013, 08:04:34 pm »

Anyway, I was dropping by to quickly mention that a friend of mine was just turned down for a job.  They told him that they paid Facebook for access to his account, saw that he's not a christian, and rejected him purely on that basis.  Rather infuriating.

I feel like this should be a drinking game. Every time someone says "Isn't that illegal" in response to something someone's employer did, you take a drink... I would almost start drinking just to do this, almost.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6767 on: July 25, 2013, 08:05:46 pm »

But hard to prove unless they happen to have been secretly recording the conversation.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6768 on: July 25, 2013, 08:48:34 pm »

I feel like this should be a drinking game. Every time someone says "Isn't that illegal" in response to something someone's employer did, you take a drink... I would almost start drinking just to do this, almost.

If we include things that are against army policy as illegal, then I'd go through my days completely obliterated.
But yeah, very very illegal is an accurate descriptor. You *absolutely* cannot refuse to hire someone on the basis of religion.

What we need is a legal framework that channels greed into productive places.
It's already designed to do that, it just needs to do it better. Much easier than effectively brainwashing ~95% of the population.

Got any ideas about how to do that without putting sociopaths in control of society?

The Soviets tried to trigger such a cultural shift. They've failed.

It seems to me more like they altered the channels through which greed seeks its rewards.

If you don't believe a cultural shift can happen, then meaningful change will never happen.  We intentionally give power to the most horrible among us.  How is that not supposed to result in bad things?
No, we give power to the people who best produce things that people pay either money or votes to. That's the basis of everything, at the end of the day.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6769 on: July 25, 2013, 08:50:18 pm »

But hard to prove unless they happen to have been secretly recording the conversation.
Might not be that hard. I don't know, how do they usually do that?

And yes that is so many variations of obviously Illegal I am actually unsure they said it so bluntly. It's like going: "Ahh, yes I have sex with the under age on a regular basis, what of it?"
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6770 on: July 25, 2013, 09:03:42 pm »

This guy is very silent on Facebook.  I've only seen him make a couple posts in years.  But he does have his spiritual beliefs on his profile, which is set to be visible to friends only.

He says that the e-mail he received cited "moral concerns found in your basic facebook information".  Then he called them for a follow-up, and they specified that they have "strong christian affiliations".

Apparently a company can have a morality clause that allows them to refuse to hire or fire someone over unspecified "moral concerns", and this is a loophole frequently used by christian employers to circumvent discrimination protections.

As for the thing about paying Facebook for his info, I'm asking him to clarify that part.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: July 25, 2013, 09:10:57 pm »

Well, I don't know if companies can refuse applicants on "moral" grounds, I have heard such things but have no idea how that works legally in the US. Here in Germany only the churches can, which is still a pain in the ass if you're working in the health sector where they are heavily involved.
At least if he has emails, he has something in writing for a potential lawsuit.
Still wonder how they found his profile though, or if maybe he should re-visit his privacy settings.
The "paying" part seems a bit hard to believe for me, that would be a major newsworthy scandal.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: July 25, 2013, 11:55:21 pm »

Interesting.

Facebook appears to have developed a function to export and download a copy of all of an account's personal data. On the surface, this function is only available to the owner of the account... but this seems an exceedingly strange function to create. I mean, you already know who you are, so why would you have a use for that data?

However, if Facebook was in the business of exporting and sharing user data as a cheep, accessible form of background check, I could see why they would create this function.

Of course, I've heard other stories about employers asking for Facebook passwords in the past. It happens. And if you're Facebook, and sitting on a huge pile of data that many large companies and organizations would find very valuable... well, the temptation to make significant money off that data would be hard to resist for long.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:26:54 am by Solifuge »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: July 26, 2013, 12:05:10 am »

Is that legal? I mean seriously, if I was told I was rejected for being an atheist I would be grinning from ear to ear about the payouts I'm going to be receiving after suing their ass for discrimination.
Claiming somebody is morally questionable might fly, but saying they are morally questionable because of their given faith would get shot down in flames.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6774 on: July 26, 2013, 12:09:21 am »

Is that legal? I mean seriously, if I was told I was rejected for being an atheist I would be grinning from ear to ear about the payouts I'm going to be receiving after suing their ass for discrimination.
Claiming somebody is morally questionable might fly, but saying they are morally questionable because of their given faith would get shot down in flames.

He's filed a complaint with the EEOC.  We'll see what happens.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6775 on: July 26, 2013, 12:22:18 am »

God damn. I really should finish purging my old Facebook account.

So, Business pays Facebook for your account password. Business then exports an account's Facebook Data using that Export My Account Data feature. Transaction complete, and it's both cheaper and a more comprehensive picture of your beliefs and behaviors than a background check. And since the feature is intended for "the account holder" it stays subtle, and gives them plausible deniability.

Someone should write a script that goes in your browser, and updates your Facebook Password to a random string every hour, and remembers the password to log in for you. That way, Facebook can't reliably hand out your password for money anymore. Then, wait a few weeks, and see if Facebook tips their hand, and changes their policy to not let you change your password more than once a month or something. If it's as big a cash cow as I suspect, endangering that would be a big deal.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: July 26, 2013, 12:24:11 am »

. . .

Well, if they're storing my likes and dislikes as well, I guess they probably know exactly how flamingly liberal I am and I will never be employable in large sections of the country.  Gosh-darnit.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6777 on: July 26, 2013, 12:27:32 am »

I'd laugh if I found out that some company paid to access my Facebook page. It's almost entirely blank and hasn't seen activity for two years now, since shortly after it was created.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6778 on: July 26, 2013, 12:31:40 am »

God damn. I really should finish purging my old Facebook account.

So, Business pays Facebook for your account password. Business then exports an account's Facebook Data using that Export My Account Data feature. Transaction complete, and it's both cheaper and a more comprehensive picture of your beliefs and behaviors than a background check. And since the feature is intended for "the account holder" it stays subtle, and gives them plausible deniability.

Someone should write a script that goes in your browser, and updates your Facebook Password to a random string every hour, and remembers the password to log in for you. That way, Facebook can't reliably hand out your password for money anymore. Then, wait a few weeks, and see if Facebook tips their hand, and changes their policy to not let you change your password more than once a month or something. If it's as big a cash cow as I suspect, endangering that would be a big deal.
I imagine that letting employers directly export data without need for a password would be a lot less controversial, thus more likely.

The best way to go about it, from their point of view, is by making starting new subsidiary that exists for the sole reason of keeping track of peoples data. They can claim some sort of economic reason, an attempt to keep your data secure from people working at facebook, what ever. They will think of something. You then make another subsidiary that has access to this data, and exists to sell this data to employers.

As companies are their own legal entity, it separates facebook itself, and the people who stand to profit, from the actual operation.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6779 on: July 26, 2013, 12:33:12 am »

I was honestly really worried about running into something like this when I applied to my new job.

I wish people would migrate away from Facebook, but it's so damn firmly established.  It's really a horrible company.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 759