Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245356 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4875 on: February 22, 2013, 04:47:08 pm »

The NC House Rules Committee killed the state's medical marijuana bill because "legislators were being harassed by phonecalls and emails on the topic".

These motherfuckers are openly not doing their jobs anymore.
That is probably #4,276th on my list of "Reasons Why I Want A Russian Meteor To Land On The NC State Capitol". Seriously....this is penny ante bullshit compared to gutting unemployment benefits or MANDATING that the state government ignore climate change science.

Cackalackistan be trippin', yo.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: February 22, 2013, 04:54:12 pm »

To be honest, i get the feeling that might be it. If things continue as they are, and no one does any more then they have to, and not even then, for the rest of the world, combined with climate change causing damage which can't be repaired, the two towers will have been a light pat and generations not responsible for it will have to clean up the mess.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 05:12:42 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #4877 on: February 22, 2013, 05:18:25 pm »

That is probably #4,276th on my list of "Reasons Why I Want A Russian Meteor To Land On The NC State Capitol". Seriously....this is penny ante bullshit compared to gutting unemployment benefits or MANDATING that the state government ignore climate change science.

Cackalackistan be trippin', yo.
I'm still angry about the secret midnight session last year. I don't care if I agree with the politics or not, when you promise transparency and then do something like that it's clear you've got an agenda to push and this just further confirms on top of that they don't have any concern for what their constituents want. The worst part is the House went even further Red in the last election.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: February 22, 2013, 05:31:10 pm »

This is rather bizarre

The code of law in DC can't be freely distributed to anybody because it's copyrighted and managed by a private contractor?  Am I reading this right?  Is it true?  The only source offered by the article is this court case, which I'm not going to read right now.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: February 22, 2013, 05:33:11 pm »

This is rather bizarre

The code of law in DC can't be freely distributed to anybody because it's copyrighted and managed by a private contractor?  Am I reading this right?  Is it true?  The only source offered by the article is this court case, which I'm not going to read right now.
If that is true, just.... urgh.

My god that is moronic.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #4880 on: February 22, 2013, 05:39:11 pm »

That case linked has nothing to do with what the article claims. The case is that one company publishes court decisions, does a lot of work to organize them and format them. Another company publishes them online and include a note for the location of the first page of the decision in the first company's books. That is ok, and is not what is under question. Later the second company added a service that gave page numbers for citations. The first company claimed this was infringing because then people would be able to cite their publications without ever actually having to handle the publication itself.

So I dunno if that article is right. Either they misread that case or I misread that case.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: February 23, 2013, 07:49:52 pm »

Why am I not watching this thread?

No matter, I am now.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: February 23, 2013, 11:19:09 pm »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: February 23, 2013, 11:51:50 pm »

Ok, so despite them picking a really, really, horrible name for their lobby group, and that they seem to come off as being a little bit too reactionary, I think this is a pretty serious and interesting issue.

I don't actually think this is something that's going to be stopped, there are just far too many people that want gun toting machines running around battlefields, and I can see why, but I think it is a sort of morally interesting issue. I'm wondering how this is going to effect the wars of the future.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: February 24, 2013, 06:16:52 am »

Officer receives his department's "Officer of the Year" award for shooting at two people (killing one) huddled in a corner during a no-knock raid that lasted 16 seconds.

The reason for the shooting was finally determined to be debri from the explosion of his own flash grenade hit him in the chest, leading him to believe shots had been fired at him.  Of course, they had to deconstruct a bunch of lies first about the suspects resisting.  At least that's how I'm reading it.  The structure of the article isn't the clearest.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:19:56 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: February 24, 2013, 06:40:15 am »

I want gun toting machines running around battlefields for the simple reason that one day we could have armies composed of robots fighting other robots and no people would have to waste their lives. They could also be programmed to never shoot civilians, to speak the native language of the country they're in, they would never use ethnic slurs or show resentment to the populace (unlike our brave boys)... yeah they're just about better in any way than our failed, rural high school students who're good at sports and love computer games. Only problem is if their respective government programs them to commit war crimes but I think humans can hide stuff like that better than a robot could.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:42:00 am by Owlbread »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: February 24, 2013, 07:49:10 am »

I want gun toting machines running around battlefields for the simple reason that one day we could have armies composed of robots fighting other robots and no people would have to waste their lives.
I think the problem is that you fail to grasp the core purpose of war.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: February 24, 2013, 08:44:03 am »

STOP THE KILLER ROBOTS

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/feb/23/stop-killer-robots
OK, so that lost absolutely all of the nuance of the original discussion, but there has been a fantastic debate leading up to this public petition. Easily the highlight.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: February 24, 2013, 09:52:38 am »

I want gun toting machines running around battlefields for the simple reason that one day we could have armies composed of robots fighting other robots and no people would have to waste their lives. They could also be programmed to never shoot civilians, to speak the native language of the country they're in, they would never use ethnic slurs or show resentment to the populace (unlike our brave boys)... yeah they're just about better in any way than our failed, rural high school students who're good at sports and love computer games. Only problem is if their respective government programs them to commit war crimes but I think humans can hide stuff like that better than a robot could.

The problem is, battles aren't fought only in the designated battle site #358608-1C, they're fought in and around places with significant civilian populations. Just because the two sides would be fighting solely with machines (something probably only a few nations could even afford) wouldn't remove human presence from the battlefield. A pair of boots and a rifle is just too cheap to ever go out of style. And while "never shoot civilians" sounds nice, how do you manage that? How will the machine tell a difference between a soldier and a civilian? The blog palsch linked to had a few very realistic examples of what could go wrong with giving a machine full autonomy in deciding whether a human target is lawful or not.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: February 24, 2013, 10:51:08 am »

Just make all the killbots Lawful Good. Nothing can go wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 759