Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245319 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4305 on: December 23, 2012, 08:22:13 pm »

Ron Paul would definitely not win.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: December 23, 2012, 08:28:21 pm »

He might have if he were the nominee. It's hard to say. The social conservatives would have a hissy fit, of course. The economic conservatives, on the other hand, would fall in love with him.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: December 23, 2012, 08:39:13 pm »

Every poll of him vs Barack Obama I've seen has him being crushed (other than than the hilariously cherrypicked ones on www dot RON PAUL dot com).  He generally also polls worse in those than Romney did in Romney vs Obama polls.

Basically a Republican candidate cannot afford to lose the social conservative base.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: December 23, 2012, 08:43:47 pm »

The issue is that those polls aren't in a vacuum. Everyone knew that the game would come down to Obama v. Romney, and that would alter the results. If everyone knew that it was RON PAUL RON PAUL or Obama, the social conservatives might have changed their tune, if grudgingly.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: December 23, 2012, 09:10:15 pm »

The issue is that those polls aren't in a vacuum. Everyone knew that the game would come down to Obama v. Romney, and that would alter the results. If everyone knew that it was RON PAUL RON PAUL or Obama, the social conservatives might have changed their tune, if grudgingly.
Might is the keyword. The thing is he might end up splitting it instead, either gaining socials to spite Obama, or else non-voting. They Are a powerful demographic in the base.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4310 on: December 27, 2012, 11:04:49 am »

This may be old news. You know how "waterboarding isn't torture"? Turns out the US actually prosecuted and convicted several Japanese officials for torture using waterboarding.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/02/AR2007110201170.html
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: December 27, 2012, 12:36:18 pm »

Yep, the US government is still hypocritical as fuck  ::)  Bush definitely didn't help in that department.  Then again, considering torture was instrumental in catching Osama bin Laden, I guess Obama looked the other way too.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: December 27, 2012, 12:42:50 pm »

I think I've come to the conclusion that a certain level of hypocrisy is unavoidable when trying to govern and safeguard a large country. Pragmatism trumps idealism, and most of the time that's for the greater good that it does.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: December 27, 2012, 12:43:17 pm »

Yep, the US government is still hypocritical as fuck  ::)  Bush definitely didn't help in that department.  Then again, considering torture was instrumental in catching Osama bin Laden, I guess Obama looked the other way too.

Except that torture wasn't instrumental to catching Osama bin Laden. It was the result of a lot of intelligence, only some of wich involved torture. And the CIA says that it is not irreplaceable, or even necessarily the fastest and most effective method capable of doing the same thing.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: December 27, 2012, 11:41:34 pm »

I think I've come to the conclusion that a certain level of hypocrisy is unavoidable when trying to govern and safeguard a large country. Pragmatism trumps idealism, and most of the time that's for the greater good that it does.  :-\

Do you actually mean hypocrisy, here?  As in doing one thing while saying another?  As in forcing other people to live to standards that you don't hold for yourself?  I doubt hypocrisy is what you actually mean here.

I think what you mean to say is that you don't believe in absolutes.  This is also where "idealism" is a horribly abused word.  Idealism isn't about denying reality, it's about working towards a better reality.  Someone who bases their decisions on the assumption that the world operates according to their ideals is simply an idiot, not an idealist.  An ideal isn't meant to be fully realized, or else it wouldn't be called an ideal.  An ideal is a conceptual model, and reality can never match the purity of an idea.  Nobody should expect an ideal to ever be fully realized, any more than an artist should expect to produce a work that cannot be improved on.

When pragmatism calls for action counter to ideals, reasonable people understand.  When you expect others to be tolerant of your own pragmatism but do not extend that tolerance to others, that is hypocrisy and I don't understand how it can be argued for.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: December 28, 2012, 12:22:28 am »

Seconding the "No, it really wasn't".

Hell, torture hasn't even been successful as the best method of interrogation, and interrogation wasn't the key to how they figured out where he was anyway.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: December 28, 2012, 01:00:25 am »

I think in the end they found and caught him mostly by bribing people.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: December 28, 2012, 02:38:55 am »

Hm.  Guess I'm quite wrong, and I'm ok with that ^_^

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: December 28, 2012, 10:52:31 am »

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/fiscal-cliff-accelerate-millionaire-deaths-201648757.html

Ok... so a pending rise in the inheritance tax seems destined to "advance the death rate" of elderly millionaires, so that their inheritors can take advantage of the lower tax rate.

People actually think like that?

People actually think like that!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: December 28, 2012, 11:35:41 am »

It's all the rage in estate planning. For a while now, you sorta can't pick up a legal article about estate planning without them mentioning the difference in the exemptions and the rate of tax.

Most of the time I hear this as a joke between lawyers--something about it being a good year to die before the estate tax stuff hits....

I think they're kidding. I really hope they're kidding. :P
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 759