Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245293 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4035 on: November 15, 2012, 07:55:59 pm »

These days the Catholic Church has taken the "burn it down" approach to approaching social change. If they can't enforce their code, they won't help anyone.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: November 15, 2012, 07:59:48 pm »

I wonder when they will start using the "excommunicate all the states with gay marriage" approach?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: November 15, 2012, 08:02:07 pm »

If they continue that approach, the Catholic Church will be relegated to the dust bin of history where it belongs.  It will be interesting to see if the numbers decline here from the last time a religion poll Demographics for Minnesota was taken.  28% Roman Catholic in 2010.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: November 15, 2012, 08:04:08 pm »

I wonder when they will start using the "excommunicate all the states with gay marriage" approach?
That stopped being effective around 1500. These days all they'd accomplish would be making another denomination that acts exactly like them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: November 16, 2012, 04:14:40 pm »

To be fair, physical appearance obviously matters for someone that's going to be on the air talking all the time.

I'll absolutely agree that Fox's hiring of what are essentially the same thing as booth babes is pretty disgusting, but I won't go so far as to say sex appeal doesn't matter. Yes, it's news, not T&A, but let's look at this practically too; they want someone who's going to catch an eye while flipping through channels. 
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: November 16, 2012, 04:16:34 pm »

If it matters for women but not for men then it is sexist.  Fox's male hosts are ugly and old.

Although if they decide to start hiring male underwear models I will support the practice if only because it means Glenn Beck will lose his spot.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 04:20:25 pm by Leafsnail »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: November 16, 2012, 04:18:13 pm »

I agree that there's truth to the need for reasonably attractive hosts, but for someone to openly claim that the female hosts on their own channel are nothing but underwear models seems a bit excessively sexist.

I mean, it wasn't from someone criticizing the hiring practices, it was said as if it was a point of pride.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 04:22:00 pm by Reelya »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: November 16, 2012, 04:21:53 pm »

Indeed and agreed.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: November 16, 2012, 04:24:55 pm »

Well the actual comment was probably a joke but it's clear they are sexist in their hiring practices.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: November 16, 2012, 08:28:11 pm »

Yeah, but joking about something you're organization is actually doing wrong is normally seen as in bad taste.

In other news:

They told him not to enforce drug laws in white areas. Really.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: November 16, 2012, 08:41:20 pm »

Yeah, but joking about something you're organization is actually doing wrong is normally seen as in bad taste.

In other news:

What I'm getting from this that the issue wasn't directly race, it was more of a case of social status. Still ridiculous though.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: November 16, 2012, 09:13:22 pm »

In other news:

What I'm getting from this that the issue wasn't directly race, it was more of a case of social status. Still ridiculous though.

That's not really what he was saying. He was saying that they were directly instructed to not bother enforcing in suburban/rural areas because the families there knew lawyers, judges, politicians, and so forth. Even if he hadn't outright stated it, it isn't particularly difficult to read between the lines. Nor does it greatly surprise me. Though the core issue, perhaps as much as the racism, is the sheer apathy behind that attitude of only enforcing laws for people who can't effectively fight back.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #4048 on: November 16, 2012, 11:49:16 pm »

So... did Anonymous prevent Karl Rove from doing a man-in-the-middle attack in Ohio?
http://wonkette.com/489966/anonymous-claims-it-stopped-karl-rove-from-hacking-the-election-by-hacking-orca-we-think
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=REn1BnJE3do
Would explain Rove's reaction election night...  and the similarities to 2004 are uncanny...
on the other hand, it could just be BS.... go go conspiracy theory or just plain random posturing?
In any case... there are many words....
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: November 16, 2012, 11:59:51 pm »

So... did Anonymous prevent Karl Rove from doing a man-in-the-middle attack in Ohio?
http://wonkette.com/489966/anonymous-claims-it-stopped-karl-rove-from-hacking-the-election-by-hacking-orca-we-think
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=REn1BnJE3do
Would explain Rove's reaction election night...  and the similarities to 2004 are uncanny...
on the other hand, it could just be BS.... go go conspiracy theory or just plain random posturing?
In any case... there are many words....

I really wish I could dismiss it as a conspiracy theory or posturing on the part of anon, but... Yeah, it's Rove, and I really don't think it was a coincidental event.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 12:03:23 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 759