Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1273147 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #3525 on: October 09, 2012, 06:44:40 am »

Well it's in both threads now, all I'm pointing out is that you're debating and having an in depth argument with a known hypocrite and/or troll. The whole thing is pretty useless. Excuse me for trying to save your time. So have fun :P
Not in an argument, no. Plus, a libertarian society depend on people acting in their self-interest, which he did. I don't actually see how his actions were anti-libertarian.
He mandated ownership of all sand to be his, which is silly in a 'Libertarian' society. That sounds like some other forms of government to me...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:58:45 am by KaelGotDwarves »

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: October 09, 2012, 07:07:00 am »

Completely off topic note, I come to this thread when I want to remind myself why I never leave Other Games and Roll to Dodge/Forum Games.  I do agree with Sheb though, if the guy is an asshat, everyone will pick up on it and figure it out for themselves.  You're just making yourself look worse for all the work you're putting in.

*disappears into the night like a misinformed Batman*

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: October 09, 2012, 07:13:10 am »

Well fuck me for actually trying to steer the thread to decent discussion.

The whole thread has become 'inane post by greatjustice' followed by a million quotes. You guys are just feeding him.

Once again:
The US is by far the highest spender per capita on healthcare, but 37th in overall health.
 http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_total_health_expenditure_(PPP)_per_capita
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:28:10 am by KaelGotDwarves »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: October 09, 2012, 07:29:28 am »

Really it would be a lot funner if we found a decent simulator game and battled out the political philosophies that way.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: October 09, 2012, 07:32:07 am »

Yeah! How about Simrepublic.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: October 09, 2012, 07:32:25 am »

Maxis vs Capcom?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: October 09, 2012, 07:51:25 am »

It's single-player, but Democracy II is the finest politics simulator i've come across.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3532 on: October 09, 2012, 08:14:22 am »

His actions in a game are not relevent to the merits of his argument. Keep that shit out of this thread. His argument is deeply flaawed, self inconsistant, poorly cited and repeated ad nauseum. We have been dealing with him posting "supporting links" that he has not bothered to read and that actually support the opposite of what he claims for weeks. He is a troll. But attacking him over a game is not at all productive.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: October 09, 2012, 08:21:51 am »

I would argue that his particular actions in a political simulation game are pertinent to the discussion on libertarianism. And in particular, if he's just here to piss people off.

And if you think I'm an asshole for posting it, so be it. Shoot the messenger. But people ought to be informed of who they're spending their time debating with, nadaka.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: October 09, 2012, 08:21:58 am »

Maybe he is a troll, and a better one than I thought.  The kind of exchanges I'm seeing on this page are everything a troll wishes for.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: October 09, 2012, 10:50:54 am »

I would argue that his particular actions in a political simulation game are pertinent to the discussion on libertarianism. And in particular, if he's just here to piss people off.

And if you think I'm an asshole for posting it, so be it. Shoot the messenger. But people ought to be informed of who they're spending their time debating with, nadaka.
The actions in a game should only be relevant if said game was a perfect simulation of reality. Besides, one should not judge an idea based on the action of the person who defends it.
That's the basis of an Ad hominem. So yes, we're going to shoot the messenger, because the message is neither relevant, nor correct, nor really usefull.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: October 09, 2012, 11:44:35 am »

So...

There was a PPP poll of Minnesota last weekend, and the good news is there was movement on the "marriage" amendment towards no from the firms previous poll.
(Last month's numbers in brackets.)
Quote from: PPP
Q1 Should the Minnesota Constitution be
amended to provide that only a union of one
man and one woman shall be valid or
recognized as a marriage in Minnesota?
Yes.................................................................. 46% [48%]
No ................................................................... 49% [47%]
Not sure .......................................................... 5%
Won't vote on the amendment ........................ 1%

I highly doubt only 1% of voters won't vote on the amendment, it'll probably be more like 2-3%, and those automatically count as "no" votes.  And the poll's crosstabs are typical of the state (38% D, 29% R, 32% I), and the topline of 53-43 Obama is expected, so these numbers aren't extremely favorable one way or the other.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: October 09, 2012, 12:15:24 pm »

Actions speak louder than words. You can spout all the ideologies and arguments in the world, but it doesn't matter if the application of them doesn't work. I'm an engineer at heart. It's not about the Internet arguments, but actually practice and implementation.

Especially if you prove that your own application of libertarian doesn't work.

It actually isn't an ad hominem because it's a perfect example of greatjustice practicing what he preaches and why pure libertarianism doesn't work... Because people are assholes.

Kael, I have mowed down countless civilians with a machine gun in video games. Virtual actions do not hold any water.

I'm declaring the socialized/free market healthcare discussion over. It hasn't been productive for a while.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: October 09, 2012, 01:07:42 pm »

You guys are JUST NOW figuring out he's a troll? Dayum :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: October 09, 2012, 01:11:09 pm »

You guys are JUST NOW figuring out he's a troll? Dayum :P
I will stand to defend my neocommunistic healthcare regime against those capitalists, even if they are trolls. Trolling does not give one the right to be wrong(defenition discusionable) on the internet.
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 759