Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245283 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #3030 on: September 18, 2012, 08:05:31 pm »

There's a reason why hundreds of years of philosophizing has never satisfactorily answered those types of questions  :-\
Indeed~

Morality is pretty useless if we can't apply it in difficult scenarios. You have to decide whether your position just "sounds" evil or if it actually is. I won't judge; this is just for mental exercise, not trying to trap people so I can silently judge them ;P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: September 18, 2012, 08:12:40 pm »

Piff. Google does not directly control that. What can they do?

They can do the same thing they did when they censored the "she invented = > did you mean 'he invented' " auto-complete.

http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2007-05-24-n36.html

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: September 18, 2012, 08:14:45 pm »

Piff. Google does not directly control that. What can they do?

They can do the same thing they did when they censored the "she invented = > did you mean 'he invented' " auto-complete.

http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2007-05-24-n36.html
That's kinda humorous actually xD
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: September 18, 2012, 08:19:19 pm »

There's a reason why hundreds of years of philosophizing has never satisfactorily answered those types of questions  :-\

Philosophy has a ton of answers to those question. Just pick the one that satisfies you the most.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: September 18, 2012, 08:25:45 pm »

Let's do it a bit generally first. "You use only enough force so you can make a retreat and call for help. What's important is that the force you use does not exceed the aggressor's, for if you do then you're no better than him."
We'll assume this.
In order for lethal to be an option, the aggressor needs to use enough force. This can be e.g. pointing a gun at you (loaded or unloaded since the victim probably wouldn't know). At that point, you can (morally) use the lethal option. However, if he isn't pointing a gun or any other weapon at you, then you may not (morally) use the lethal option. This determines the "upper limit". The lower limit may be whatever you feel like.

So if you allow the dichotomy of "lethal" case and "non-lethal" case:
Second one: If "lethal", then yes, you may choose a lethal option. If "non-lethal", you may not.
First one: There are only two cases I can currently think of (at night) that could potentially necessitate lethal force to prevent rape. Either they're pointing a weapon at you or you're being physically restrained to the point of immobility (or both, but then the former takes precedence).
If the former, then you may choose lethal. The latter's a "special" case. Since you're being restrained to the point of immobility, only a third party could remove the aggressor. He, however is not restrained, thus he has also non-lethal options. And since it's not a "lethal" case, then the lethal option is out of the question.

Right, so your position is that a person being raped should think of their assailant before themselves. I was just making sure.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: September 18, 2012, 08:33:26 pm »

Philosophy has a ton of answers to those question. Just pick the one that satisfies you the most.
Can't. I have no idea what I'd do until I were actually placed in a situation like that, and I hope it never actually happens.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: September 18, 2012, 08:44:05 pm »

Can't. I have no idea what I'd do until I were actually placed in a situation like that, and I hope it never actually happens.
Ah, but if you decide what you should do in these situations, in the unlikely chance they'll actually come up, you're less likely to do something you'll regret. So it's not worthless to think about, despite the unlikelihood.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: September 18, 2012, 08:49:57 pm »

Ah, but if you decide what you should do in these situations, in the unlikely chance they'll actually come up, you're less likely to do something you'll regret. So it's not worthless to think about, despite the unlikelihood.
Well, I have to admit that what I'd do would probably depend on which lives I had to save/condemn. If, say, the one were my wife/lover, while the ten were child rapists, I'd probably let the ten die and not need as much therapy.

Please note that all of this is purely hypothetical :P

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: September 18, 2012, 08:51:21 pm »

Haha, people actually thinking about their morality is what's important to me. What conclusions they draw are their own :)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: September 18, 2012, 08:54:32 pm »

Hey, I think about stuff like this quite often. I'm just naturally indecisive and rarely reach any actual conclusions. I'd probably be a great philosopher if I could just get the degree for it :P

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: September 18, 2012, 10:24:44 pm »

Morality is pretty useless if we can't apply it in difficult scenarios. You have to decide whether your position just "sounds" evil or if it actually is. I won't judge; this is just for mental exercise, not trying to trap people so I can silently judge them ;P

"Evil" to me means what I consider society to consider wrong, which I don't really follow except to the level needed to exist inside of it.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: September 18, 2012, 11:28:47 pm »

Criptfiend, can you calm down a bit? You're not explicitly in ad hominem territory but you're quite close.

Also this discussion seems to have moved completely out of politics and into philosophy by now. I'm not sure if it belongs in this thread now. Perhaps I could add philosophy to the atheism/religion thread? I doubt it could hurt.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: September 18, 2012, 11:30:57 pm »

It kinda evolved into a philosophy discussion, sorta. You know how Bay 12 is; before long we'll all be discussing how progressive the Neanderthals were, or something.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: September 18, 2012, 11:38:37 pm »

Neaderthals were an oppressed minority.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: September 18, 2012, 11:39:59 pm »

They were a majority for a while, but....well, Sapiens Wins, Flawless Victory.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 759