Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1275533 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2400 on: July 26, 2012, 11:45:24 am »

The whole Chik-Fil-A / Jim Henson thing is getting into Paul Christoforo territory???

Seriously, what the hell are they teaching people in public relations school these days?
I told you guys. I told you that the fundies were starting to crack under pressure. But no one ever listens to MetalSlimeHunt.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: July 26, 2012, 11:48:50 am »

The whole Chik-Fil-A / Jim Henson thing is getting into Paul Christoforo territory???

Seriously, what the hell are they teaching people in public relations school these days?
I told you guys. I told you that the fundies were starting to crack under pressure. But no one ever listens to MetalSlimeHunt.
Why should we listen to you? You're Hitler!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: July 26, 2012, 12:19:08 pm »

.... You know, that company could've just stuck to the usual bullshit about "traditional marriage" and probably would've been seen as ok.  Instead of this, more lies, more BS and more bigotry.

You know what I find terrible? These guys are hiding behind "free speech...." A.) It works both ways and when you say ANYTHING there is a chance of rejection from your listener. B.) O you have an opinion do you? I don't care. I don't need opinions from a fucking chicken sandwich. You know why I'd buy a chicken sandwich? Chicken.... C.) Going right along with point A, do you know how many gay people pay a terrible price for living in the open instead of the closet? Guess what, that's the fucking price you pay for stepping out of the closet, the god damn bigots come straight at you. This is another reason I actively hide that I'm trans. So it's cool for gay people to be cast out of society when they come out of the closet, but any backlash against Chic Fil and suddenly Oooooooo. So it's cool to speak out against gay people, but I guess turnabout isn't fair play when people come back on you about it?

Its absolutely amazing that my career would basically die overnight if people realized I was transgender and society does pretty much nothing about that, but if people get upset at Chic Fil A over its viewpoint, then THAT, that is somehow terrible....

I have to live a life that is a total and complete fucking lie, but this company can't simply shut up about its views on one topic that doesn't really even effect it as it rolls in money?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:22:02 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: July 26, 2012, 12:49:34 pm »

FWIW, I think public opinion is pretty solidly not on the side of Chik-Fil-A. It's a vocal minority that's getting bent out of shape and defending them (even as they decry the Jim Henson Company for practicing *their* free speech via their choice of business associations).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: July 26, 2012, 01:15:31 pm »

That seems reaaally suspicious. For a company thoroughly based on religious beliefs I think they would know enough to not randomly quote John 3:16.

For context:
Quote from: John 3:16
For god so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, and whoever believes in him shall never die, but have eternal life.

John 3:16 is one of the first things we learned in my church, and is... reaaaally generic. A search through my bible could probably give me a more applicable verse.

What i'm trying to say here is that this reeks of deceit. And not the normal kind of deceit, but some kind of double deceit to frame Chick-fil-a.

That or their PR people are reeeeaally dumb.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: July 26, 2012, 01:27:29 pm »

That seems reaaally suspicious. For a company thoroughly based on religious beliefs I think they would know enough to not randomly quote John 3:16.
For god so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, and whoever believes in him shall never die, but have eternal life.
John 3:16 is the go-to "fuck you I win lalalalalalala I'm so much better than you" verse. It gets quoted without appropriate context all the time for just that reason.
What i'm trying to say here is that this reeks of deceit. And not the normal kind of deceit, but some kind of double deceit to frame Chick-fil-a.
You're claiming conspiracy? Don't be silly. There are plenty enough airheaded Facebook users for this to seem like a legitimate strategy to make the playing field look level when it isn't. They just went about it stupidly, should have created their sockpuppet accounts months ago and not used stock photos.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:31:36 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: July 26, 2012, 01:35:46 pm »

For context:

John 3:16 is one of the first things we learned in my church, and is... reaaaally generic. A search through my bible could probably give me a more applicable verse.

That or their PR people are reeeeaally dumb.
Occam's Razor. by which I mean, I don't see The Gay Cabal saying "Curses! The Chicken People still have some supporters in their claim that these toys were removed for non-gay reasons! Quickly, conjure forth a poorly-disguised sockpuppet account on Facebook to frame them! That will be simply fabulous!"  ???

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: July 26, 2012, 01:48:25 pm »

I'm torn between thinking, "No, it's too stupid to be real, the company couldn't possibly have thought this would work" and thus that it is a frameup by somebody who, quite justifiably, is not a fan, and then remembering "It's too stupid to be real" is never true and is actually usually the opposite of the truth.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: July 26, 2012, 01:58:55 pm »

In any case they should really drop their obvious lie about the safety hazard.  Literally noone believes it (other than pretty redheaded teenagers on white).

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2409 on: July 26, 2012, 01:59:38 pm »

Especially considering that the supposed "defect" of the toys sounded like a poorly phrased euphemism.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: July 26, 2012, 02:01:40 pm »

"We had to remove the toys because they were teaching kids to put things in the wrong holes. Things that don't go there. If you catch my drift."

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: July 26, 2012, 02:05:35 pm »

Nonsense. Everyone knows Kermit the Frog is all about killing your kids. Two words: perfect disguise. Also, a frog going out with a pig? That screams of no moral values; inter species bestiality, murder, it all adds up. :P Nobody suspects a frog; the last thing you hear is "ribbit."

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s07e12-all-about-mormons One of my favorite shows about the Mormons, who we all know Trey and Matt have skewered. Some of the nicer people I've met have been Mormons until of course they figure out you're gay. I don't think the guy at Chic Fil A is a mormon, but it's a very widespread thing with many American Religions. Don't know or care why; I just try to avoid most of it. This of course leads straight to the "conspiracy theory" thing. Most gay people avoid several of the religions on account of them not liking us.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:10:58 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: July 26, 2012, 02:34:29 pm »

Most gay people avoid several of the religions on account of them not liking us.
I've observed the opposite. The number of gay Christians I've heard of is staggering and confusing, all things considered. I don't know how anyone who isn't a straight man could follow Christianity and not have their head explode from the cognitive dissonance, and this is coming from a straight man who used to be a Christian.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: July 26, 2012, 02:40:12 pm »

Most gay people avoid several of the religions on account of them not liking us.
I've observed the opposite. The number of gay Christians I've heard of is staggering and confusing, all things considered. I don't know how anyone who isn't a straight man could follow Christianity and not have their head explode from the cognitive dissonance, and this is coming from a straight man who used to be a Christian.

O that's simple. You're kinda raised into it and told it's the be all end all religion. Your whole family is all about it, and all the people you really know go to your church. Go ahead, just leave.... It's not that simple. How many of those gay people are open about it and without consequence?

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: July 26, 2012, 02:42:25 pm »

Properly brainwashed individuals will fall into the depths of self loathing before waking up.

I spent several years of my childhood thinking myself evil.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 759