Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1275726 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2295 on: July 23, 2012, 04:59:05 pm »

We could always use more! I'm sure the territories want their own. And if we take over the Turks and Cacaos, they could have one! And the maritimes could use one!

[Canadian Oprah] EVERYONE GETS A NEW ECONOMY! [/Canadian Oprah]
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: July 23, 2012, 05:58:37 pm »

And on the paulites stuff:
shore up "private property rights on the Internet."
Uh huh. So he wants to push for more copyright & anti-piracy laws. Uh, yeah, fuck that guy.
[/quote
]

Well now that's not a wild assumption or anything
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: July 23, 2012, 06:02:35 pm »

Well....what else could it mean?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: July 23, 2012, 06:06:57 pm »

Well....what else could it mean?

People's rights to do what they want on the internet without the government being a pain?

I doubt copyright comes into it. He pretty much always votes against SOPA-like bills when they come up (and makes a pretty big deal about it when he does)
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: July 23, 2012, 06:12:00 pm »

But he said, and I quote: "protect private property rights on the Internet".

Private property rights are not free speech, and digital property on the internet can only be protected from widespread copying through copyright law. Hence the idea of copy rights.

I prefer copyleft, personally. If I ever release a work on the internet, I'm copylefting it.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: July 23, 2012, 06:15:35 pm »

The hell does "copyleft" even mean? And why does Firefox's spell-check see it as a real word while Gandalf isn't?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: July 23, 2012, 06:17:26 pm »

But he said, and I quote: "protect private property rights on the Internet".

Private property rights are not free speech, and digital property on the internet can only be protected from widespread copying through copyright law. Hence the idea of copy rights.

I prefer copyleft, personally. If I ever release a work on the internet, I'm copylefting it.

I don't know. I'm not Ron Paul. I heavily doubt that he's spontaneously declaring that he wants to crack down on the internets on behalf of copyright-infringed corporations, since that would be a complete 180 from most of the things he's done so far.

By the way, I honestly think copyrighting/patenting is nonsense. You steal property by taking the item in question, depriving the owner of its use (eg. if I take your TV, you no longer have a TV and thus have lost the equivalent value), but if I "steal" a song the owner hasn't lost anything at all. 

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: July 23, 2012, 06:20:52 pm »

The hell does "copyleft" even mean? And why does Firefox's spell-check see it as a real word while Gandalf isn't?
It's quite simple, just read this giant Wikipedia article.

I imagine Firefox knows it is a word because of Mozilla's political affiliations.
I don't know. I'm not Ron Paul. I heavily doubt that he's spontaneously declaring that he wants to crack down on the internets on behalf of copyright-infringed corporations, since that would be a complete 180 from most of the things he's done so far.
No it isn't. Ron Paul has maintained a consistent position of total personal freedoms at the federal level and none at the state level and total economic freedom regardless. Economic freedom means that the government protect business interests, such as corporate speech and copyrights. 

No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2303 on: July 23, 2012, 06:25:29 pm »

By the way, I honestly think copyrighting/patenting is nonsense. You steal property by taking the item in question, depriving the owner of its use (eg. if I take your TV, you no longer have a TV and thus have lost the equivalent value), but if I "steal" a song the owner hasn't lost anything at all.
You wouldn't steal a baby?

Stealing babies is crime.

Piracy.

Is.

Crime.

Criminal scum.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: July 23, 2012, 06:26:41 pm »

Technically this would be copying babies.

Would you copy a baby?
No Gods, No Masters.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: July 23, 2012, 06:48:12 pm »

Pretty soon we'll have two economies, the gay-friendly economy, and the gay-hating economy.
Ed Brayton tends to update this post every year. It gets longer every time.
    “So, what a smart consumer should do is take a look at the Human Rights Campaign workplace scorecard for corporations and just go to the opposite places,” the AFTAH president suggests. “Go to the place with the lower ranking.”

I totally agree with him. Bigots should avoid all of the companies that score well in their treatment of gay people. And then they’ll have to become Amish because they won’t be able to drive a car, go to a bank, eat almost anything or buy any clothes. Here’s an old post I wrote about how to avoid advancing the gay agenda:

You can’t fly on American Airlines or US Airways, both of which scored a perfect 100. You might also want to avoid United, Southwest, Delta, Northwest, Continental and JetBlue; all scored above 80. Who can you fly? Well, you could try Nepal Airlines, the faith-based airline that sacrifices goats to appease God. On second thought, that won’t work either. Nepal Airlines has two planes, both of them made by Boeing; Boeing got a perfect 100 too. Go Greyhound!

In fact, you might want to start boycotting the military too. Most of the major defense contractors scored very well. Honeywell, Raytheon and Northrop Grumman all scored a perfect 100. Lockheed got an 85. Who would have guessed that our good ol’ red-blooded and (presumably) straight American fighting men are using weapons that advance the gay agenda? If they don’t ask, we won’t tell.

Shopping could be a problem too. You can’t shop at Abercrombie and Fitch, The Gap, JC Penney’s, Macy’s, or Nordstroms. Can’t wear Levis jeans or Nike shoes. And even that staple of middle American fashion, LL Bean, scored a 79. Ah well, there’s always K-Mart. And in a pinch, you can always wear a plain white sheet.
It goes on for quite a while from there.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: July 23, 2012, 06:51:59 pm »

A money 'black hole': rich hide at least $21 trillion in tax havens, study shows
So in addition to the link I added earlier...
Apple hiding billions in profits from taxes for years

Apple may pay some corporate income taxes on that profit to the country where it sells the iPad, but it minimizes these by using various accounting moves to shift profits to countries with low tax rates. For example the strategy known as "Double Irish With a Dutch Sandwich," routes profits through Irish and Dutch subsidiaries and then to the Caribbean.
In Apple's case, those overseas accounts have grown to a staggering $74 billion — equal to the market value of Citigroup Inc.
The budget deficit: found it. At a 35% corporate tax rate, that's about 7 trillion dollars in total which would otherwise have been collected. Over $20 billion in taxes from Apple alone.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:00:34 pm by alway »

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: July 23, 2012, 06:56:33 pm »

A money 'black hole': rich hide at least $21 trillion in tax havens, study shows
So in addition to the link I added earlier...
Apple hiding billions in profits from taxes for years

Apple may pay some corporate income taxes on that profit to the country where it sells the iPad, but it minimizes these by using various accounting moves to shift profits to countries with low tax rates. For example the strategy known as "Double Irish With a Dutch Sandwich," routes profits through Irish and Dutch subsidiaries and then to the Caribbean.

The US government should deal with this in the traditional way, via drone strikes on the Caribbean.
No it isn't. Ron Paul has maintained a consistent position of total personal freedoms at the federal level and none at the state level and total economic freedom regardless. Economic freedom means that the government protect business interests, such as corporate speech and copyrights. 

Corporate speech falls under free speech, but that's something different entirely.

Copyright is not economic freedom, it's economic tyranny. Copyrights are economic freedom like terrorist attacks are stimulus packages.

You wouldn't steal a baby?

Stealing babies is crime.

Piracy.

Is.

Crime.

Criminal scum.

I dunno, I have to wonder if stealing babies is crimes sometimes.

Would you copy a baby?

You just made my signature, bro

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: July 23, 2012, 06:58:48 pm »

A hypothetical situation that relies on my understanding of copyright law and those who are against it:

At some point in the future, a food company breeds a new variety of fish. This fish is fast-growing, easy to care for, and most importantly of all is tasty and nutritious. This effort takes years and quite a lot of money.

Shortly after the fish is announced and the fish farms are set up, a rival company manages to steal a few breeding pairs and breed his own fish, who breed more fish, etc. Those are given to other companies, who breed and pass them on, etc. Now pretty much everyone has a fish of their own and the original company made zero profit off of the time and money spent.

Now, fish aren't digital downloads or whatever, but is it really so bad for an artist to ask for appreciation and compensation for his/her/their work? Yes, a number of products have been successful despite being free, but I'm fairly certain that they are the exception, not the rule, and either the makers of those products have to pursue a career (thus lowering productivity) or they subsist on donations like Toady.

Like I implied at the beginning, copyright law is not my strongpoint.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: July 23, 2012, 07:10:26 pm »

Yeah... the simplest way to put it is that there's a bit of a difference (Understatement. Understatement. Understatement.) between what'cher sayin', Siri, and copyright law as-is. People in general that are quite opposed to current copyright law are usually not quite so opposed to something that is even remotely frakking sane. Which the majority of current copyright law, isn't.

Fish is a pretty bad example, though, especially one like you described. Something like that would probably be justified in being stolen (or at least subsidized, then forced into public domain, or something to that effect) simply due to the generalized benefit it would have to humanity.

Seriously wish I had access to my older Opera notes file. Somewhere in there I had saved a post in one of the other (multitudinous) copyright threads that put together a list of all the other times B12 had the copyright runaround. It might help stave off another go at it :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 759