Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1275791 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 04:31:34 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2266 on: July 17, 2012, 05:37:45 pm »

Man, and I thought working temp. when I was in college, in a place that made fish fingers was bad ... seems like heaven compared to those online warehouses.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: July 17, 2012, 05:44:07 pm »

Made me feel stressed just reading the bloody things. Point about the price differential between local and not is kinda' hard hitting, though. Even with non-free shipping, a lot of things cost less ordered than bought (semi-)local, especially if you factor in the transportation cost of driving, say, a hour or two round-trip. S'more of an issue for rural folk like m'self, but...

S'a bit of a catch twenty-two when you can neither afford to (because it's probably damning you or those close to it) nor afford not to (because you either save every damn penny or you don't eat) support those kind of conditions.

More than anything, makes me worry about eventually ending up in the situation something like that's the only option... me, I literally couldn't work in those kind of conditions. Just don't have the back for it anymore, after early schooling fucked me up (thanks backpacks!).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 05:46:26 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: July 17, 2012, 06:36:13 pm »

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/02/mac-mcclelland-free-online-shipping-warehouses-labor?page=1

I think I want to throw up from ever ordering something online.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/labor-ready-jobs-temp-workers-investigation

These break my heart. Really, alot of the links you might find in the Progressive thread break my heart, seeing the sadder state of the world we live in is dismaying. I wish there were something I could do.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: July 17, 2012, 06:57:58 pm »

We can do what gave us a half decent society to begin with. Violence, strikes, anger and shouting until this kind of bullshit is legislated away.
Love, scriver~

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: July 19, 2012, 09:45:44 am »

George Zimmerman is interviewed by Sean Hannity.

"I feel like it was all God's plan," he told conservative talk show host Sean Hannity in Zimmerman's first interview since the shooting.

Of course it was God's plan for him to kill a teenager. Of course.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: July 19, 2012, 10:33:14 am »

Please don't let this reflect negatively on christianity. A crazy man saying crazy things has no affect on my religion, so let's not go there.

/continues lurking/

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2272 on: July 19, 2012, 10:38:25 am »

Please don't let this reflect negatively on christianity. A crazy man saying crazy things has no affect on my religion, so let's not go there.

/continues lurking/

Then why bring it up?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: July 19, 2012, 01:32:50 pm »

George Zimmerman is interviewed by Sean Hannity.

"I feel like it was all God's plan," he told conservative talk show host Sean Hannity in Zimmerman's first interview since the shooting.

Of course it was God's plan for him to kill a teenager. Of course.

... It's my experience that several nutzo killers do things in the name of God. Not that this means they all do but eh. I fail to see what God has to do with this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/16/edie-windsor-doma_n_1675983.html?utm_campaign=071612&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Alert-gay-voices&utm_content=FullStory

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: July 19, 2012, 01:49:35 pm »

/continues lurking/

Then why bring it up?
He didn't bring it up. >_> Someone else did.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: July 19, 2012, 02:18:08 pm »

He didn't bring it up. >_> Someone else did.

I don't recall drawing a correlation between Zimmerman's Christianity and his killing Trayvon Martin.

EDIT: I'm not sure why Zimmerman is being called crazy either. Am I the only one who remembers this case of self-defense gone wrong? It wasn't too far back when it sparked national outrage and conservative kneejerk responses. I was sarcastically mocking his blithe usage of "God's Plan", probably an opportunistic ploy for even more support amongst Hannity's conservative audience.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:32:51 pm by Glowcat »
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: July 19, 2012, 02:34:25 pm »

It could also be an attempt to strengthen an insanity plea or something.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: July 21, 2012, 11:53:19 am »

After Michelle Bachmann (R-MN-6) was called out for claiming "Muslim Brotherhood" agents having infiltrated the government by members of her own damn party, she decided to double down on it and claim Keith Ellison (D-MN-5), one of congress's two muslims, is part of the evil conspiracy. ::)

Bachmann alleges Ellison has ties to Muslim Brotherhood.

I would really, really like to see her lose the next election, but the people in that district are just as crazy as she is.  The district's location is the Twin Cities northern and western suburbs plus the city of Saint Cloud.

Map of Minnesota's 6th congressional district.
The problem is Wright, Sherburne, Benton, and Carver counties.  Those counties give Republicans large margins, and the only cities Democrats can win of any significant size are St. Cloud and Blaine, and not by a lot.  Overall, Obama received 43% of the vote here, McCain got 55%.

And for the curious, Minnesota's 5th district, one of the most Dem friendly white majority districts in the country:
Map of MN-5.

The district is Minneapolis plus the city's first ring suburbs.  Obama got 73% in this district under these lines.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: July 21, 2012, 12:07:55 pm »

After Michelle Bachmann (R-MN-6) was called out for claiming "Muslim Brotherhood" agents having infiltrated the government by members of her own damn party, she decided to double down on it and claim Keith Ellison (D-MN-5), one of congress's two muslims, is part of the evil conspiracy. ::)

Bachmann alleges Ellison has ties to Muslim Brotherhood.
Modern day McCarthyism, eh? Fun stuff. By which I mean disgusting stuff.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #2279 on: July 21, 2012, 04:16:59 pm »

Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon