Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1274678 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1410 on: May 14, 2012, 09:51:13 pm »

Except he had no reason to think that he'd win. They practically told him beforehand that he was going to lose.

Finally! Proof! It isn't just me they ignore on this. It's everyone. Who wants to bet they blame their defense lawyer for "screwing up the case?" :P
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 09:53:09 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: May 15, 2012, 12:55:48 am »

We were already discussing Colorado's civil unions bill?  Honestly I wasn't all that concerned with the other gay marriage and civil union things going on around the country, but now I'm getting worried.  I'm not even fully out of the closet yet and people are going ballistic D:

edit: or let me put this a different way.  I wasn't worried when it was just one state denying gay's right to marry, now I'm worried because there are a lot more states hopping onto the bandwagon.  I'm also sad that my home state technically doesn't have gay marriage until June, and there's petitions going around to stop it :(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:07:06 am by Euld »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: May 15, 2012, 03:28:12 pm »

I'm not sure if this is progressive, but hey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dggHZwEQMg&feature=g-u-u

So what I'm getting out of it is that George Lucas wants to build a studio, but keeps getting muscled out of where he wants to build it by rich people wanting to preserve the property value. George Lucas then starts sponsoring a movement to build low-income housing nearby to lower the property value.

I think that's pretty awesome.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: May 15, 2012, 03:54:28 pm »

So George Lucas is an epic-level troll?

After the prequel movies, I think this comes as a surprise to no one.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: May 15, 2012, 05:09:09 pm »

The way I hear it Lucas has done pretty nasty stuff in the past with real estate. Tbh this sounds like one more dick move from him
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: May 15, 2012, 05:09:29 pm »

Republican Delegate Robert Marshall (who is running for U.S. Senate) also accused him of pushing an "aggressive activist homosexual agenda." According to The Washington Post's Laura Vozzella, Marshall claims that Thorne-Begland "holds himself out as being married,” which makes his “life a contradiction to the requirement of submission to the constitution.”
The fuck is wrong with these people.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: May 15, 2012, 05:49:03 pm »

Last I checked, the US Constitution doesn't have a requirement that you BE married to ACT married...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: May 15, 2012, 06:29:35 pm »

Because of all the franticness earlier this year...

The 2013 NDAA is currently being debated. Remember this is an annual appropriations bill with the interesting bits (detention policy and cyber warfare to name two) tacked on as afterthoughts.

Because of the massive publicity over the detention policy sections last year this year there are a number of new proposals. One in particular (the Smith-Amash amendment) would explicitly ban military detention on US soil. The Republicans are already attacking this from two sides; one group (in the previous link) argue it's not needed because the 2012 NDAA didn't authorise such detentions (true but irrelevant; previous and current law is entirely vague on the matter and the US has claimed such powers in the past), the other is claiming that banning such detention on US soil would encourage terrorists to come to the US. Which is laughable.

If people are interested in getting something good out of that debate a few months back, start lobbying now. This debate and these proposals are happening because of the attention paid to the 2012 NDAA, but right now the only people paying attention to things are Republicans invested in the process and those charged with writing the bills.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: May 15, 2012, 06:33:22 pm »

Wait, if military detention were prohibited on U.S. soil, what would happen to Fort Leavenworth?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: May 15, 2012, 06:54:22 pm »

Wait, if military detention were prohibited on U.S. soil, what would happen to Fort Leavenworth?
Sorry, worded that badly.

The detention in question here is holding people indefinitely without charge. The military could still arrest and prosecute people under the military code of justice and still hold traditional prisoners of war or "enemy combatants" captured overseas. It just removes the hypothetical case where an individual (following the AUMF, a member of Al Qaeda or someone strongly associated with that group) captured in the US could be transferred to military detention to be held indefinitely (NB, they would be allowed habeas access but it would likely be a military commission or similar, although constitutional challenges to holding them would be likely and probably work).

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: May 15, 2012, 07:15:02 pm »

Republican Delegate Robert Marshall (who is running for U.S. Senate) also accused him of pushing an "aggressive activist homosexual agenda." According to The Washington Post's Laura Vozzella, Marshall claims that Thorne-Begland "holds himself out as being married,” which makes his “life a contradiction to the requirement of submission to the constitution.”
The fuck is wrong with these people.

Lovely to know you can "work hard and get ahead...." And I mean they're pretty straightforwardly telling him it's cause he's gay that he can't do the job....

It's all just more distraction to keep your focus off the fact that student loans interest rates are going to literally double from 3.4% to 6.8% in 15 days....

Edit: Speaking of things we're distracted from, turns out Iceland overthrew its government, is drafting a new constitution and is trying to throw the bankers that killed the country in jail. The article says this is not being shown in Western News. I'm curious if anyone else has heard of this or if it's just an onion style article?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:36:21 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: May 15, 2012, 08:46:35 pm »

The only thing I can find on an Icelandic Revolution is some New World Order related crazy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: May 15, 2012, 08:47:14 pm »

How do they know that being straight won't bias them against same-sex marriage cases?

Herpderpderp.

It's all just more distraction to keep your focus off the fact that student loans interest rates are going to literally double from 3.4% to 6.8% in 15 days....
They're eating us!

Edit: Speaking of things we're distracted from, turns out Iceland overthrew its government, is drafting a new constitution and is trying to throw the bankers that killed the country in jail. The article says this is not being shown in Western News. I'm curious if anyone else has heard of this or if it's just an onion style article?
I found this. But it looks like it's from almost a year ago. Also, it's less about throwing out bankers than refusing to pay ridiculous fees to foreign entities because of the misdeeds that a few private companies did. More on the constitution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Iceland
http://mashable.com/2011/07/29/iceland-crowdsourced-constitution/
http://singularityhub.com/2011/08/03/25-ordinary-citizens-write-icelands-new-constitution-with-help-from-social-media/
http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/10/iceland-from-crisis-to-constitution.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/09/iceland-crowdsourcing-constitution-facebook
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/iceland-crowdsources-its-next-constitution/2011/06/10/AGiBplOH_blog.html
http://www.dailypaul.com/215344/why-iceland-should-be-in-the-news-but-is-not (WARNING: Daily Paul)

Sounds like it happened to me. That's fucking awesome.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: May 16, 2012, 12:12:00 am »

The article says this is not being shown in Western News.

That's pretty fucking scary.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 759