Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1274389 times)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1035 on: April 19, 2012, 10:25:15 am »

It makes them create more jobs, or so they say.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1036 on: April 19, 2012, 10:27:03 am »

It makes them create more jobs, or so they say.

Its true. With more money that can afford more hookers and blow, not only on the weekend but on weekdays as well.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: April 19, 2012, 11:00:43 am »

Every once in a while I hear republicans say something about 48% of Americans not paying taxes. Does anyone know what in the world they are talking about?

Perhaps this? http://money.howstuffworks.com/only-53-percent-pay-income-tax.htm
Thank you, now I have some specific things to bring up if I am discussing it.

Of course, on the gripping hand it doesn't matter much, because it is silly to talk about how 'unfair' increased taxes on the rich are when they are still constantly getting richer.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: April 19, 2012, 11:17:03 am »

Look, if we keep coddling these poor people, they won't have any incentive to work hard and it'll wreck our economy.  It's unethical.  Instead we need to coddle the rich, because,
They work hard, obviously.

They actually want jobs? Figure out the variables that actually, really lead to people being hired. Figure out the impediments to starting or staffing a firm and place resources behind making them more available and less burdensome.

No, no, we'll just throw money at the problem, to the rich people only, and pray it works....

:)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:18:08 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: April 19, 2012, 11:38:22 am »

Come on Truean, this is AMERICA. You just gotta have FAITH and CAPITALISM will see us through!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: April 19, 2012, 11:41:24 am »

Come on Truean, this is AMERICA. You just gotta have FAITH and CAPITALISM will see us through!

Capitalism: The government giving money to large businesses and rich people? :P

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: April 19, 2012, 11:43:13 am »

Capitalism: The government giving money to large businesses and rich people? :P
Bingo.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: April 19, 2012, 11:45:02 am »

Of COURSE! What else could CAPITALISM possible mean here in the great land of AMERICA!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: April 19, 2012, 11:54:23 am »

Of course! Enriching rich is and deregulation are the sacred rituals laid out in the Economicon for summoning the great Invisible Hand to grant your wishes. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Market Forces R'egan wgah'nagl fhtagn!  :P
Soaplent green is goblins!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: April 19, 2012, 11:59:40 am »

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None I say! Let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill.
CEO Nwabudike Morgan "The Ethics of Greed"

(And by us, of course, he means the people in charge. Everybody else can go and get themselves nerve-stapled)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: April 19, 2012, 12:01:55 pm »

Of COURSE! What else could CAPITALISM possible mean here in the great land of AMERICA!
Well, you can't write AMERICA without C, A ,P... damn.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: April 19, 2012, 12:17:59 pm »

PROTESTANT AMERICA!

That's C, A, P, I, T, A... still no L. Crap. Capita is good enough, right?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: April 19, 2012, 12:20:42 pm »

We could throw in a "male" for good measure?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: April 19, 2012, 12:23:55 pm »

This is a classic confusion of motivations. It's also classic failure to adapt.

"Corporations and the rich will employ us." Perhaps, but that's conditional. It was once the case. Is it still?

This does not understand the fundamentals of logic and misses the mark by a wide margin. It mistakes corporate motive, or it draws a false conclusion from it.

Corporate motive is to make the most money possible from all options. If hiring Americans will make corporations the most money possible from all options, then they will hire Americans. This implies correctly that if other options will make corporations more money, then the corporations will foresake hiring Americans to pursue those options. Profit maximization....

The error feeds into the classic ego complex. People believe they are worth something. The corporation only believes they are worth something if they not only make it money, but make it more money than all other choices. This is no longer so.... We are no longer the cheapest possible option, especially with overseas de facto slavery.

IT used to be, USED TO BE, that by helping the health of the corporation you were helping the health of those employed by it. Now this is no longer so. Once the corporation has the ability to pursue cheaper but initially costlier to set up alternative options, it will. Moving to China costs money and requires a transportation network. But once the company can afford those initial costs, it will to reap the return on that investment.

The barrier to overseas slave labor is the cost of moving....

Luckily, we're giving companies money so they can do it....

If you give the rich and their companies money, they will profit maximize, not "hire." They will only "hire" if that is greater than all other alternatives, including de facto slavery in the 3rd world countries.

This old theory is dead for large corporations and operates on what politicians fail to recognize is what they used to know. Past tense. It may still work for smaller enterprises, but it seems no one cares about them and the larger ones are killing them.

Here is an actual entrepreneur taking the company PRIVATE and out of the public stock market.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/clark-fortune-estimated-hundreds-millions-071612433.html
He didn't meet Wall St.'s earning projections which are unreasonable as a rule. He told the stockholders to get out. He got them out. It worked.

We are a police state.

When Fikre was released on Sept. 14, he had lost nearly 30 pounds. He has applied for asylum in Sweden.

Yeah, he wasn't tortured. He was just on a diet.... Really?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:16:54 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #1049 on: April 19, 2012, 06:07:58 pm »

Capitalism believes that competition drives innovation, but we should shut down all government services because they are an unfair intrusion into the market,
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 759