Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1274237 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #795 on: March 24, 2012, 11:12:15 pm »

Also, the fact that the government currently bans U.S. civilians from using drone technology or jamming technology under harsh penalty is not a good sign.

Do you honestly not see why letting the average person run around with a jammer is a bad idea? Really?
If someone wishes to jam communications going into or out of their private property, that is their right.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 24, 2012, 11:19:26 pm »

Also, the fact that the government currently bans U.S. civilians from using drone technology or jamming technology under harsh penalty is not a good sign.

Do you honestly not see why letting the average person run around with a jammer is a bad idea? Really?
If someone wishes to jam communications going into or out of their private property, that is their right.
Really? You think they don't allow people to have jamming technology... because they want to stop people from using it on their own private property? You see no potential for abuse at all?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 24, 2012, 11:52:52 pm »

Of course I see the potential for abuse. Personal freedoms bring potential for abuse in many things.

But I do think they want to stop people from using it on their private property. It's hard to spy on someone when they're jamming everything on their land.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 25, 2012, 12:02:17 am »

Of course I see the potential for abuse. Personal freedoms bring potential for abuse in many things.

But I do think they want to stop people from using it on their private property. It's hard to spy on someone when they're jamming everything on their land.

Oh, of course it's to stop people from disabling wiretaps, and not say... preventing some jackoff from using one in the middle of time square, or near an airport. Gotcha. Just like how the government frowns of people trying to make nuclear reactors, their secret stranglehold on the power companies might be threatened.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 25, 2012, 12:06:14 am »

I didn't say it wasn't for that as well, but if you introduced a bill to lift the ban on selling of short-range jammers I guarantee the Congressional session would get "closed as a matter of national security" so that the Congressmen could be persuaded to shoot it down in private.

The government shouldn't be spying on their own people, and if they won't ban government agencies from doing so then civilians should be allowed the tools to put a stop to it themselves. Jammers can do that, or at least a decent part of it.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: March 25, 2012, 12:12:23 am »

Given how how of most daily peoples lives depend of radio waves, they would never allow it. You might not think jammers are a big deal, but they are.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 25, 2012, 07:27:54 am »

It also sounds like something that would just be bad for society in general.  I mean, suddenly noone can hear the radio/ use their phone nearby if you decide you want to jam signals in your area.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:25:25 am by Leafsnail »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 25, 2012, 07:44:41 am »

But what about my freedom and right to do what I want without thinking through the consequences first?
Love, scriver~

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 25, 2012, 07:45:50 am »

Needs of the many, and all that.....
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 25, 2012, 08:08:20 am »

Like I said, short range jammers. The kind of short range that won't extend past your property line. You could file a complaint with the local government if someone's jammer extends past that point and they won't readjust it.

Before you mention apartments, if jammers were legal every apartment block under the sun would contractually prohibit them.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 25, 2012, 10:24:46 am »

Yeaaah... america being america, I'd just kinda' note that just about everything that's being said for/against short-range jamming devices (so far) can be applied pretty directly in relation to firearms.

Mostly just noting that "potential for abuse" isn't exactly being consistently applied in this country. Whatever reason we've been (ostensibly) using to determine personal use laws, it's probably not that -- or at least a potential for abuse problem isn't sufficient in itself to restrict access.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #806 on: March 25, 2012, 10:33:52 am »

The effects of jammers do not stop at your propert line. That's not how radio waves work. Interference follows the same inverse square law as a transmitter and will create a shadow in the signal.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 25, 2012, 10:39:56 am »

Can we go back to the start of this argument for a second? MSH mentioned drones as well. That seems to me a even bigger deal then this jammer thing. I mean. Should a citizen be able to control a remote control killing/Spying device?

Am I missing something here?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 25, 2012, 10:43:27 am »

Like I said, short range jammers. The kind of short range that won't extend past your property line. You could file a complaint with the local government if someone's jammer extends past that point and they won't readjust it.
Because it'd be really easy to tell whose jammer is stopping you from using basic every objects, right?  It's not like in, say, a suburban area there'd be potentially dozens of people with jammers, any of whom could have deliberately or accidentally made theirs too big for their area.  Filing a complaint would involve them having to investigate and carefully test EVERYBODY's jammer (since they're pretty easy to make yourself or modify you wouldn't be able to just trust the label) in the area rather than just finding the person with the jammer like they could at the moment.  I feel like if you lived in a block with paranoid neighbours you could pretty much say goodbye to the prospect of listening to the radio or using a mobile phone or using wireless internet ever again.

Yeaaah... america being america, I'd just kinda' note that just about everything that's being said for/against short-range jamming devices (so far) can be applied pretty directly in relation to firearms.
You know what?  No, this is completely different from guns.

In a magical world where noone would "abuse" firearms, then yes, they wouldn't really cause any problems.

In a magicial world where noone would abuse jammers they would still cause huge problems (and this is ignoring the fact that there is also massive potential for abuse).  It'd be very easy to accidentally overreach your area slightly and knock out your neighbours' appliances.  The idea of pointing your jamming signals upwards to prevent drones (as MSH seems to be suggesting) would also cause horrible problems for civilian aircraft, especially in areas where planes take off and land.  There's also minor things like accidentally straying onto someone's expansive property and not being able to get off since they fucked up your GPS signals (which would also be an issue if emergency services ever had to cross your land... or do you have the right to deny someone on your land medical treatment/ police services?  Not that they'd be able to call them in since you blocked their mobile phone call).

Can we go back to the start of this argument for a second? MSH mentioned drones as well. That seems to me a even bigger deal then this jammer thing. I mean. Should a citizen be able to control a remote control killing/Spying device?

Spying is only bad if the government's doing it, I guess.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 25, 2012, 10:44:50 am »

I don't mean weapon drones. Camera drones are more in the line of what I'm thinking of.

I'd rather see them entirely eliminated from U.S. soil, but if the police are going to use them so should everyone else.

EDIT: Essentially, on both subject of drones and jammers, I'd rather see them either not present or available to everyone then in the hands of a small group of powerful elitists. Even if the latter causes chaos, it means that power remains evenly distributed.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:53:05 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 759