Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1274077 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #705 on: March 21, 2012, 02:41:54 pm »

Plus using someone else's facebook password can also be considered criminal hacking.

Though Facebook hasn't commented on it publicly:
It violates the terms of service of the website/they can close down your account. Whether or not they'd do this: who knows, but they could.

The person has not made the information "publicly available," rather they've restricted access to it via privacy settings. If it were publicly available information, then there'd be no need to gain access to it. Only certain people, "friends" may view this information. So a potential employer demanding access to information just because you showed it to a few friends, makes no sense at all. You told your friends, you did not make it public and specifically took steps to keep the general public from seeing it....

That certain schools aren't teaching cursive anymore is odd. How are you supposed to get a signature? We aren't going to adapt to that one easily if we ever do. This is the problem with short sighted people being involved in education. "O everything's going computerized now, we don't need to teach cursive :D." I make it a point to both teach certain children I care about cursive (which their parents appreciate), and to talk to administrators who champion not teaching it. The fact that you admins and all your over-privileged, yuppie friends have neat new smart phones, doesn't mean cursive signatures are dead.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 04:40:43 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 21, 2012, 02:46:37 pm »

You don't need to learn cursive to have a signature, as signatures don't have to be in cursive. (In the states where I've looked at the law, anyways, which is only like 3)

Cursive IS dead, and it was never actually useful. It's a waste of valuable education time.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 21, 2012, 02:47:27 pm »

I don't think the schools should teach cursive anymore. It's a waste of time. Teach the kids how to sign their own names and leave it, because that's all cursive is good for now.

My elementary school practiced us to blisters about writing in cursive, because, as they put it: "Everything after the fifth grade has to be written in cursive or it won't be accepted". Fucking liars. I have never written in cursive since, other than to sign my name, even though how to do it is seared into my mind.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 21, 2012, 02:51:05 pm »

And I, like many other people, don't even sign my name in anything approaching the "cursive" they teach in schools.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 21, 2012, 02:53:48 pm »

My elementary school practiced us to blisters about writing in cursive, because, as they put it: "Everything after the fifth grade has to be written in cursive or it won't be accepted". Fucking liars. I have never written in cursive since, other than to sign my name, even though how to do it is seared into my mind.

Ha, that was my experience too.  Heck, in university I was always told NOT to use cursive or else it wouldn't be accepted.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 21, 2012, 02:54:11 pm »

Same here.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 21, 2012, 02:55:07 pm »

Heh... yeah, they taught us cursive in like... 3rd, 4th grade? At this point (Got BA, etc., so forth), I've used it and seen it used so little I'm completely incapable of writing in it and barely capable of reading it. I can sign my name in it, but that's about it.

We should probably be spending the time we teach cursive teaching actual other languages instead of just a fancy font :P

Why do we teach cursive nowadays, anyway?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 21, 2012, 02:57:08 pm »

I always thought it was because it was flowy and pretty.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 21, 2012, 02:59:33 pm »

Because it has formal use. Kinda like learning to put on a tie. Sure, you don't need it for the most part but some people do appreciate it when you put the extra effort in

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 21, 2012, 03:01:33 pm »

There was a super-religious priest at my school who only accepted cursive. He left the year before I would have been in his class. I would have failed.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 21, 2012, 03:03:05 pm »

I write faster in cursive. But then again, my writing also becomes near illegible.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 21, 2012, 03:04:44 pm »

Because it has formal use. Kinda like learning to put on a tie. Sure, you don't need it for the most part but some people do appreciate it when you put the extra effort in.
No they don't. When I have to read someone else's cursive, my first thought is "Oh sweet Nicodemus is this even English what the hell am I looking at".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 21, 2012, 03:07:11 pm »

Cursive is more like knowing how to put on one of those ridiculous old-fashioned dresses with the sacks in them to make them poofier. Maybe not exactly, but it's gaudy and cumbersome and unnecessary.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 21, 2012, 03:07:54 pm »

Because it has formal use. Kinda like learning to put on a tie. Sure, you don't need it for the most part but some people do appreciate it when you put the extra effort in
Well... sure, if it were part of some sort of formal etiquette class, that'd be kinda' interesting, probably quite useful, too.

But... they didn't teach us how to wear ties at my school :( Cursive and a degree of formal writing was it, and they were both separated by years, not part of some kind of integrated program.

Though a sort of social interaction class or series of classes inserted into public curriculum would probably help a lot of people a tremendous amount. But ahahaha yeah no. Not going to happen, at least not in public schools.

No they don't. When I have to read someone else's cursive, my first thought is "Oh sweet Nicodemus is this even English what the hell am I looking at".
Some people, MSH ;)

Let us abhorers of cursive rejoice the number is shrinking :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 21, 2012, 03:10:37 pm »

I think we went off the rails here, unless writing in cursive (or not) is now considered a progressive issue.
FWIW, I'm in the same boat as Frumple, Levi, et al; Was taught cursive in elementary school, told that everything I ever wrote would have to be in cursive from then on, got to high school and no one used it. I can write my name in cursive, still remember most of the letters, but I haven't used it in any real capacity for years.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 759