Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1274469 times)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #570 on: March 15, 2012, 08:36:08 pm »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/southern-miss-band-chants-where-green-card-puerto-205326741.html

As the article says, Puerto Rico is a part of the United States. People there are American Citizens. Thus, no green card is required (a type of immigration paper). Asking where his is, is rude.

THANKS SOUTHERN MISS, DOING US ALL PROUD GUYS.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 15, 2012, 08:40:42 pm »

I'm guessing that some of it is submitted as satire. Problem is that Andy himself is quite sincere, and he deletes anything he doesn't agree with.
Yeah, I think it's an interesting case study.  Andy bans anyone who openly disagrees with him on any issue.  So any genuine user is bound to disagree with him eventually and get banned.  While parodists are prepared to back him up on literally everything he says in order to ingratiate themselves.  So he ends up selecting towards parodists.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 15, 2012, 08:46:44 pm »

I'm guessing that some of it is submitted as satire. Problem is that Andy himself is quite sincere, and he deletes anything he doesn't agree with.
Yeah, I think it's an interesting case study.  Andy bans anyone who openly disagrees with him on any issue.  So any genuine user is bound to disagree with him eventually and get banned.  While parodists are prepared to back him up on literally everything he says in order to ingratiate themselves.  So he ends up selecting towards parodists.
That just makes the site even scarier. The guy in charge (and probably at least 50% of the viewers and contributors) genuinely believe the nonsense posted. Some theorize that Andy is a ultra-deep-cover troll. Considering that he teaches college students this stuff (or at least he used to, haven't really been keeping tabs) in real life, that's somewhat unlikely.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #573 on: March 15, 2012, 09:53:37 pm »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/southern-miss-band-chants-where-green-card-puerto-205326741.html

As the article says, Puerto Rico is a part of the United States. People there are American Citizens. Thus, no green card is required (a type of immigration paper). Asking where his is, is rude.

THANKS SOUTHERN MISS, DOING US ALL PROUD GUYS.

Damn it, that's my alma mater. I was actually proud for a bit that they made the playoffs. ::)
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 15, 2012, 11:17:57 pm »

Thing is, Puerto Rico is likely to become the last state, until Newt gets his way with the moon base- we simply don't have any other territories that are big enough to even think about qualifying.
The U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the the Northern Mariana Islands are all currently capable of applying for statehood.

Also, it's funny that you'd mention Taiwan, because a poll done there found that if given the choice between joining the U.S. and joining the PRC, the majority would elect to join the U.S. Granted, that is probably more because of hate for the PRC than love for the USA, but still.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #575 on: March 15, 2012, 11:29:23 pm »

Not that it'll ever happen. Xi Jingping was just in the states playing lip service to the One China Policy. The PRC wouldn't forgive us if we annexed Taiwan.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 15, 2012, 11:31:08 pm »

Of course it'll never happen, but it certainly does demonstrate that Taiwan isn't going to cave to the PRC any time soon.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 16, 2012, 08:40:14 am »

It's a generational thing. Older Taiwanese are actually more pro-mainland than the younger ones (either because they were born there, or their parents were). Twentysomethings in Taiwan tend to be more nationalist and more "Fuck China" in attitude. It makes me worry about the potential for conflict in another 10-20 years as the increasingly nationalist youth in the mainland and the nationalist youth in Taiwan start moving into their respective political and military positions.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 16, 2012, 09:42:02 am »

The way the whole Taiwan situation is handled is just....

U.S. 6th Naval Fleet has been stationed there forever and the Chinese Navy hangs around too. Every once in a while they have war games and shoot a lot in the general direction of our ships with no intention of hitting anything whatsoever. Not to be outdone, we do the same damn thing. If we hit them or they hit us, I'm sure the apologies couldn't come fast enough. It's the military equivalent of a sitcom's idiotic trashtaking, becoming idiotic slapfight, becoming a "very special episode" about never meaning to have hurt anyone....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #579 on: March 16, 2012, 09:49:17 am »

It's a generational thing. Older Taiwanese are actually more pro-mainland than the younger ones (either because they were born there, or their parents were). Twentysomethings in Taiwan tend to be more nationalist and more "Fuck China" in attitude. It makes me worry about the potential for conflict in another 10-20 years as the increasingly nationalist youth in the mainland and the nationalist youth in Taiwan start moving into their respective political and military positions.
Older Taiwanese remember what the Nationalist government was actually like as well. After Mao's death it was hard to tell which government was worse until martial law was lifted.

The way the whole Taiwan situation is handled is just....

U.S. 6th Naval Fleet has been stationed there forever and the Chinese Navy hangs around too. Every once in a while they have war games and shoot a lot in the general direction of our ships with no intention of hitting anything whatsoever. Not to be outdone, we do the same damn thing. If we hit them or they hit us, I'm sure the apologies couldn't come fast enough. It's the military equivalent of a sitcom's idiotic trashtaking, becoming idiotic slapfight, becoming a "very special episode" about never meaning to have hurt anyone....
Idiots shouldn't be allowed to play with guns. For some reason I'm reminded of my neighbor who likes to fire off his rifle...in the middle of a residential circle.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 16, 2012, 09:55:48 am »

Meh, we did the same thing with the Soviets for 50 years. Fighter pilots would play games of chicken at Mach 3, because they didn't have any other way to "test" each other. Subs and opposing surface fleets played "cat and mouse" in the open ocean, even ground forces would stage these big mock drills to test how fast the other side could react.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 16, 2012, 11:55:33 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/dharun-ravi-found-guilty-rutgers-trial-212458885--abc-news.html

"Altman argued that Ravi only activated the webcam to keep an eye on his belongings while an older 'creepy' stranger was in the room, and that Ravi's messages on Twitter and to his friends about the spying were just immature joking. "

So you admitted to the camera ... thing ... in writing which the prosecution has and you're saying you were just keeping an eye on your stuff to make sure it wasn't stolen?

Wow, really? First of all, his date wasn't that much older than him and second if it were an older woman, would you've used a camera to "keep an eye on your stuff," then?

He should have take the 600 hour community service plea, which his lawyer advised him to do, but naturally, no one listens.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 16, 2012, 01:35:26 pm »

You'd have to be really stupid not to take that plea deal. No one should even need a lawyer to see how good of a deal that is.

Then again, if he were smart he wouldn't have gotten caught or even spied on his roommate in the first place.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 16, 2012, 02:45:16 pm »

Err, educate me:

Having your webcam on in your apartment is illegal? Or is "intent" the illegal thing?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 16, 2012, 02:53:12 pm »

Having your webcam on in a shared apartment to spy on your coinhabitant without their knowledge is illegal, yes.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 759