Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1274499 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #540 on: March 15, 2012, 02:24:39 pm »

Yeah... t'be honest, the way the bill's worded almost looks to me like something designed to push for strictly-paper marriages. If you're going to be under suspicion for child abuse for not being married but have no interest in marriage or cohabitation for whatever reason, then the answer is to be married in name only, just to avoid that law. Marriage doesn't necessarily entail cohabitation, after all, nor does it force certain financial burdens on either partner to the best of my knowledge -- unlike, say, child support does on unmarried parents.

If it's possible for an outside organization to dissolve a marriage without the consent of the married, I haven't heard of it; so marrying someone and then living elsewhere, cohabiting with someone else or no one, etc., so forth, so on, would seem to be the obvious solution.

I'm now kinda' curious how many people have something set up like that... it'd make a lot of sense to do that sort of thing, and a cursory search for information isn't pulling up anything designed to disincentivise that kind of arrangement.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 15, 2012, 02:41:56 pm »

How popular is the statehood movement in Puerto Rico? It's not something people talk about very often (though it's not surprising that as soon as something's brought up Santorum's views on it turn out to be horrible).

In puerty rico, the support varies depending on how the question is asked. somewhere between 30% and 60% give or take. Its not just a question of "remain a territory" and "become a state". There are also movements for independence and commonwealth.
Although it effectively is between remaining a territory and becoming a state, as the commonwealth, free association, and full independence movements are very weak. The last time Puerto Rico had a referendum on this statehood got 46% of the vote and status quo got 50.5% of the vote. That was in 1998, and the statehood movement has gotten stronger since then.

In short, we may have to change the flag again come November.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 15, 2012, 03:47:09 pm »

If we kick out Arizona and upgrade Puerto Rico, we don't even have to change the flag.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 15, 2012, 04:01:41 pm »

How popular is the statehood movement in Puerto Rico? It's not something people talk about very often (though it's not surprising that as soon as something's brought up Santorum's views on it turn out to be horrible).

In puerty rico, the support varies depending on how the question is asked. somewhere between 30% and 60% give or take. Its not just a question of "remain a territory" and "become a state". There are also movements for independence and commonwealth.
Although it effectively is between remaining a territory and becoming a state, as the commonwealth, free association, and full independence movements are very weak. The last time Puerto Rico had a referendum on this statehood got 46% of the vote and status quo got 50.5% of the vote. That was in 1998, and the statehood movement has gotten stronger since then.

In short, we may have to change the flag again come November.

I kinda like the sine-wave looking one. It'd be emblematic of our national mood swings.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 15, 2012, 04:14:13 pm »

If we kick out Arizona and upgrade Puerto Rico, we don't even have to change the flag.
Best solution.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 15, 2012, 06:19:38 pm »

This Puerto Rico thing made me realize Hawaii has only been a state for 53 years. There are people around who remember having 49 states. Of course, this destroys any "tradition" arguments about not allowing a 51st state into the union.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 15, 2012, 06:21:53 pm »

Wait, are there any national monuments or parks in Arizona? If so, is it possible to remove them before they secede?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 15, 2012, 06:24:34 pm »

Of course, this destroys any "tradition" arguments about not allowing a 51st state into the union.

That will not stop anyone from using one, though.

It is moot, however, as no one likes odd numbers. Sorry, Puerto Rico, request denied.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 15, 2012, 06:26:38 pm »

Of course, this destroys any "tradition" arguments about not allowing a 51st state into the union.

That will not stop anyone from using one, though.

It is moot, however, as no one likes odd numbers. Sorry, Puerto Rico, request denied.
The 13 colonies disagree. I don't see much of a problem with letting Puerto Rico in.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 15, 2012, 06:30:11 pm »

I'm still convinced any major opposition to it (outside of Puerto Rico anyway) would be almost entirely based in racism. "Tradition" and etc would be flimsy excuses.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 15, 2012, 06:36:59 pm »

The 13 colonies disagree. I don't see much of a problem with letting Puerto Rico in.

That is just typical Liberal revision of historical fact. You people do this all of the time.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 15, 2012, 06:39:09 pm »

That is just typical Liberal revision of historical fact. You people do this all of the time.
Oh geez, Conservapedia. Is Andy still doing his conservative Bible "translation"?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 15, 2012, 06:40:00 pm »

I think they finished it.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #553 on: March 15, 2012, 06:40:38 pm »

I'm still convinced any major opposition to it (outside of Puerto Rico anyway) would be almost entirely based in racism. "Tradition" and etc would be flimsy excuses.
Economically speaking, Puerto Rico isn't doing well at all right now (understatement), so we'd probably see that being used as an argument against statehood. Of course I see it as an argument for it.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 15, 2012, 06:41:45 pm »

Oh geez, Conservapedia. Is Andy still doing his conservative Bible "translation"?

I thought it [Conservapedia] was satire for some time. It surprised me to discover that they are actually serious.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:46:14 pm by Fenrir »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 759