Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245300 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #330 on: March 09, 2012, 09:02:02 pm »

As I understand it, Rush has been losing a lot of advertisers over this (he supposedly has started to have periods of dead air because of it), and now a bunch of artists are telling him not to use their music on his show anymore.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:25:47 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 09, 2012, 09:13:54 pm »

His mistake was taking the blowtorch to someone who wasn't a professional politician, hence why all the conservatives are now trying to paint her as a professional agitator, or a deliberate democrat party plant. He should have stuck to sexist comments about Nancy Pelosi.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:22:06 pm by Reelya »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 09, 2012, 09:40:20 pm »

Wait, I don't get it. It is not ok to call a 23 year old woman a prostitute and a slut and what not, but it is totally ok if she is a 30 year old woman's right activist?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 09, 2012, 09:47:15 pm »

It is not ok to call a 23 year old woman a prostitute and a slut and what not, but it is totally ok if she is a 30 year old woman's right activist/liberal media plant.
Welcome to American politics ::)

Seriously though, almost makes you wonder if RL 'imself, or someone backing him, started up that line about the age. Or just the "conservative media," I guess.

Yellow journalism... innit that the name for it?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 09, 2012, 10:15:09 pm »

Guys, I don't think you've realised.  Being 30 years old, a woman and a women's rights activist instantly destroys your credibility.  Especially if you don't repeatedly state that you aren't a coed, otherwise you're misleading Rush Limbaugh because he will assume you are.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 09, 2012, 10:17:35 pm »

Clearly... You would think that she would wear a collar around her neck with her name, age, and phone number to call in case she get's lost, being a woman's rights activist and all...

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 10, 2012, 09:29:51 pm »

I know it's a cracked article, but its actually fairly well written about a topic we've been discussing for quite some time now.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/how-archies-gay-friend-proved-internet-can-do-good/

Cracked.com is rarely work safe.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 10, 2012, 10:43:53 pm »

This whole controversy keeps tempting me to read Archie.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 10, 2012, 11:30:45 pm »

The same way Birdo make me more likely to check out Super Mario Bros

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdo
Birdo's gender in the original manual for Super Mario Bros. 2 asserts that Birdo is a boy who believes that he is a girl, and would rather be referred to as "Birdetta".

Translation: "She appears to be Yoshi's girlfriend -- but is she really his boyfriend?!"

Other than these couple of references to Birdo's gender in the backstory, Yoshi and Birdo are treated the same as any other characters.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 11:34:58 pm by Reelya »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 11, 2012, 12:02:19 am »

Interesting trend i've noticed lately:

When moderate-liberal or liberals are arguing, they cite A.M. radio, RL, and various other conservative media outlets as being the devil.

When moderate-conservatives or conservatives are arguing, they cite Newspapers, Mass media, and various other liberal media outlets as being the devil.

Is anyone else catching this?

On topic, what was the 23/30 year old woman even doing that pissed RL off so much? If she was trying to investigate college abuse, or claiming to have been abused to slander a public official, I could understand.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 11, 2012, 12:08:11 am »

The chick that Rush called a whore? She was speaking in congress in support of requiring insurance providers to pay for contraception, which in Limbaugh's head meant that she could be only a prostitute.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 11, 2012, 12:12:29 am »

More to the point, Catholic colleges are withholding medicine which was already covered by insurance plans paid for by student's school fees, based on the college administrations ideology. And, then, those students turn to tax-payer funded free clinics for treatment because the college is withholding stuff.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 11, 2012, 12:17:53 am »

More to the point, Catholic colleges are withholding medicine which was already covered by insurance plans paid for by student's school fees, based on the college administrations ideology.

Love how you phrase that to make it seem like the catholic schools are with holding medicine from dying african children.

No, the reason is that, from what I have heard, the government has started forcing various catholic institutions to pay for various contraceptive medications, i.e. abortion and morning-after pills.

Of course, that sounds like bullshit. If there's anything that people are adamant about, it's respect for religious beliefs, if you're a believer, and containment of religious beliefs, if you aren't. Plus, I doubt you could slip a measure like that past a republican majority congress.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 11, 2012, 12:21:55 am »

Interesting trend i've noticed lately:

When moderate-liberal or liberals are arguing, they cite A.M. radio, RL, and various other conservative media outlets as being the devil.

When moderate-conservatives or conservatives are arguing, they cite Newspapers, Mass media, and various other liberal media outlets as being the devil.
...Huh?  No, I don't see what point you're making, other than listing a bunch of possible news sources (with the liberal ones being much more vague than the conservative ones).

Fox News (IE a mass media source) is the main conservative one anyway, which is undeniably atrocious.  As in, regardless of your politics, their complete lack of journalistic standards is unforgivable.

More to the point, Catholic colleges are withholding medicine which was already covered by insurance plans paid for by student's school fees, based on the college administrations ideology.
Love how you phrase that to make it seem like the catholic schools are with holding medicine from dying african children.
Uh... no?  He said what they're actually doing.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 11, 2012, 12:24:41 am »

No, the reason is that, from what I have heard, the government has started forcing various catholic institutions to pay for various contraceptive medications, i.e. abortion and morning-after pills.

Of course, that sounds like bullshit. If there's anything that people are adamant about, it's respect for religious beliefs, if you're a believer, and containment of religious beliefs, if you aren't. Plus, I doubt you could slip a measure like that past a republican majority congress.

If you're providing medical insurance you can't say I don't believe in this particular thing so I don't have to pay for it. If your boss didn't pay for your medicine even though you had insurance just because his religion disagrees with it I doubt you would be supporting him.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 759