Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245307 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #285 on: March 07, 2012, 01:40:05 pm »

The whole 12 months before the election is the job interview, that's the problem. The public is the hiring manager and anything which goes public is to be considered "in the interview".

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 07, 2012, 01:42:54 pm »

And I'm surprised they don't fall asleep more often - campaigning has a hellish schedule, from what I understand. Maybe he ran our of wakey-time drugs?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 07, 2012, 01:43:09 pm »

Imagine he did such a thing in a Presidential meeting with... lets say the Chinese Premier. That would go down well wouldnt it.
This is a blank sig.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 07, 2012, 01:45:09 pm »

Presidents have nearly unlimited drug money. They NEVER run out.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 07, 2012, 01:47:06 pm »

I had no idea that it was disrespectful in China to nap before meeting with someone.

Oh wait. Even if is in China, this is America where it is not, so his behavior in this says nothing about his nap habits before he meets with a Chinese diplomat.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 07, 2012, 01:54:02 pm »

I think you might be missing my point. I think its not a good behavour trait for someone wanting to take on the most powerful role on the planet to have. They should go into situations like the one descirbed prepared, fresh, alert and awake - ar as far as is possible. They shouldnt be nodding off and coming across as confused, disorientated or otherwise unable to cope with the demands of "leading the free world". Fair enough - campaigning is tough. Its not as if being president is going to be any easier though. I dont think "The man is 70" is an excuse. I wouldnt trust the average 70 yr old to fly a passenger aircraft, let alone run the USA.

If you think its fine, cool. Vote for him. Or not - vote for someone else. Not that its really my issue, I am not an American.
This is a blank sig.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 07, 2012, 01:59:26 pm »

I had no idea that it was disrespectful in China to nap before meeting with someone.

Oh wait. Even if is in China, this is America where it is not, so his behavior in this says nothing about his nap habits before he meets with a Chinese diplomat.
Actually cript, what Gingrich did is kinda' disrespectful in the states, at least from what I've ran in to so far. If you want a similar scenario, take someone passing out in class on the day of a presentation; person gets woken up by someone else, manages to give their presentation well, but forgets a small part of the assignment.

It wouldn't be a grade breaker, exactly, but that student would be losing some points off their presentation -- and yeah, it's a little insulting to the people they're presenting to. When you know you've got a presentation to give, it's pretty much on you to be awake, alert, and on top of the material. Screwing up a little isn't the end of the world, but it doesn't look too good either :-\

It's fairly minor though, yeah. If you want to dropkick Gingrich over something, there's plenty of bigger targets to apply your heel to.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 07, 2012, 02:02:07 pm »

I think you might be missing my point. I think its not a good behavour trait for someone wanting to take on the most powerful role on the planet to have. They should go into situations like the one descirbed prepared, fresh, alert and awake - ar as far as is possible. They shouldnt be nodding off and coming across as confused, disorientated or otherwise unable to cope with the demands of "leading the free world". Fair enough - campaigning is tough. Its not as if being president is going to be any easier though. I dont think "The man is 70" is an excuse. I wouldnt trust the average 70 yr old to fly a passenger aircraft, let alone run the USA.

If you think its fine, cool. Vote for him. Or not - vote for someone else. Not that its really my issue, I am not an American.
I'm seriously getting the feeling you did not actually read the thing or watch the video. Which if that is the case you should most likely do that before you argue about it.

Frumple: I feel, once again, the metaphor is inappropriate, but I guess I agree with the point.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 07, 2012, 02:03:27 pm »

Geuss I just have a different take on it to you then. I think Frumple explained my opinion in a better way, though possibly in a less strong sence.
This is a blank sig.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #294 on: March 07, 2012, 04:25:36 pm »

Here's the actual bit from the article:

After he awoke, however, things became even more bizarre as it seemed the former House Speaker was either thinking about the secretary of defense or was talking about him with someone not seen. You can hear Gingrich say: “Listening to Panetta is not a relaxing experience.” He then slipped back into his stupor.

Upon his second awakening, Gingrich was introduced for his speech, where he then “welcomed questions from the panel.” The problem was — there was no panel.

“I understand you have a panel. I look forward to any questions,” he began.

An awkward 12 seconds of silence followed and Gingrich stared blankly into the camera.

So he was napping, alright, that's cool.  But then he woke up and literally had no idea where he was or what he was doing, and cements this by blurting out the first thing to come to his mind.  That's totally excusable for, you know, an ordinary 70 year old person.  But that is most certainly not a trait I desire in someone who is, you know, going to be getting a lot of middle-of-the-night calls about serious shit going down across the globe.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 07, 2012, 05:19:33 pm »

Upon his second awakening, Gingrich was introduced for his speech, where he then “welcomed questions from the panel.” The problem was — there was no panel.

An awkward 12 seconds of silence followed and Gingrich stared blankly into the camera.[/i]

Did everyone catch the tactical significance of that and what it really means?

Think about that, he is putting the ball in their court and hoping "they, or the panel" (though there is no panel) will ask a question he can fake an answer to, or at least give him some idea where he is (from the context any question asked).

He has no bloody clue where he is or what he's doing and he is really hoping he can make someone tell him where he is and what the hell is going on.

Come on, this one's older than TV. It's the old traveling show trick where you forget what the hell town you're performing in tonight so, dumbfounded, you ask the crowd while paying it straight:

"Thank you, thank you, I always love it here. You know what the greatest city is! Say it with me now [Holds mic out to audience and waits for them to scream it]."

I make it a point to teach every act I manage this and other tricks of the trade. (The exact wording is a judgment call, but that is the gist).

He did not know where the crap he was and he did a bad job of covering it.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 07, 2012, 05:24:00 pm »

Followup on the Kony video from yesterday: http://thedailywh.at/2012/03/07/on-kony-2012-2/

On the Gingrich thing: damn; that has got to be the most awkward pause I have ever heard.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 07, 2012, 05:25:00 pm »

When I see newt bumbling around like an old person, I can only imagine him as John McCain. I'm trying to picture that whole scenario, but all I can see is John McCain doing it.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 07, 2012, 05:50:40 pm »

http://motherjones.com/politics/2012/03/santorum-single-mothers-are-breeding-more-criminals

.... So, gay bashing, war mongering with Iran (can't $afford it), and is a major player in the war on women including hating all over single moms....

People still vote for him, and he came in a relatively close second in last night's Ohio Primary....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 07, 2012, 05:53:57 pm »

http://motherjones.com/politics/2012/03/santorum-single-mothers-are-breeding-more-criminals

.... So, gay bashing, war mongering with Iran (can't $afford it), and is a major player in the war on women including hating all over single moms....

People still vote for him, and he came in a relatively close second in last night's Ohio Primary....

He's one of the reasons I'm building a nuclear bunker in my room
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 759