Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245292 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2012, 07:46:48 pm »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/13/fox-news-liz-trotta-rape_n_1274018.html

"Fox News' Liz Trotta On Women Raped In Military: 'What Did They Expect?' "

"Shawn argued that the programs are necessary to protect those victims. Trotta responded that the purpose of the military is "to defend and protect us, not the people who were fighting the war." "

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2012, 08:06:56 pm »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/13/fox-news-liz-trotta-rape_n_1274018.html

"Fox News' Liz Trotta On Women Raped In Military: 'What Did They Expect?' "

"Shawn argued that the programs are necessary to protect those victims. Trotta responded that the purpose of the military is "to defend and protect us, not the people who were fighting the war." "

I do not have sufficient capacity to express my rage.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2012, 08:16:04 pm »

Should our troops have body armour?  Well, the purpose of the military is to defend and protect us, not the people who are fighting the war.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2012, 08:18:31 pm »

Should our troops have body armour?  Well, the purpose of the military is to defend and protect us, not the people who are fighting the war.
  • Human right to life
  • Bad work safety right there :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2012, 08:19:00 pm »

It'd save money on material costs and wasteful R&D spending if they didn't. Who needs newage personal defense materials?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2012, 08:25:55 pm »

We're building this whole bureaucracy on bureaucracy with all kinds of armour to protect soldiers in the military who are now being shot too much.  I mean, soldiers should expect to be shot.  They can't be warriors and victims at the same time.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2012, 09:46:13 pm »

Air Force got it right. We need more robots. Best kind of body armor is several thousand miles of air, ground and water.

Granted, there's plenty of controversy to go along with that, but if we keep going in this direction, perhaps we'll never have a human harming another human in a war scenario again... and then once people realize how stupid it all is, we'll just settle all disputes with board games. Wars will be fought with Miniatures, covert ops will be played out pen and paper RPG style and trade agreements will be negotiated out with Settlers of Catan.

"Yes, Mr. President. Iran has declined to trade their bricks to us."

"Very well, schedule a game of Spycraft with them for next Thursday, and get me a new set of Space Marines painted, just in case."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2012, 09:49:54 pm »

I don't think it will ever come to board games, partly because nobody ever gets hurt. When you win a war, you finish standing with your gun to the other guys face, and he agrees to what ever you say. When you win a game, you are still on equal ground, and there is nothing forcing him to accept defeat.

The only thing that could ever make people be so civil is accepting that if they don't accept defeat in a game, it can and will elevate to real war, and potentially having a gun shoved in their face, but that would require foresight, and who the hell cares about something as dumb as that?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2012, 10:00:55 pm »

If I had to pick I reason why it would never work, I'd probably go with, "Because making real weapons is a lot more profitable than tiny plastic ones and board games." But you're right, unless we actually had a UN that didn't have the five biggest countries all with an iron grip on their ability to enforce anything. If we had a world government that could actually enforce that people play by the rules, then perhaps.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 04, 2012, 10:04:29 pm »

I don't think it will ever come to board games, partly because nobody ever gets hurt. When you win a war, you finish standing with your gun to the other guys face, and he agrees to what ever you say. When you win a game, you are still on equal ground, and there is nothing forcing him to accept defeat.

The solution is an army of deathbot judges who will ensure the victorious party's demands are met.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 04, 2012, 10:08:39 pm »

I can roll with that. Mostly because of the deathbots!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 04, 2012, 11:31:24 pm »

A petition to drop charges against a trans woman accused of murder. She and all witnesses have reported this sequence of events:

1. Cece walks past a bar with her friends.
2. Some people come out of the bar and start insulting her.
3. She confronts them, saying that she won't tolerate hate speech.
4. She was attacked, including getting smashed in the face with a glass bottle.
5. Many parties started fighting, and she ended up on the ground bleeding. Her attacker was dead.
6. The police arrived and Only arrested her.

She was detained, she wasn't allowed immediate medical treatment, and was forced to sign a confession. (Which she later recanted.) She has been placed in solitary "for her own protection" because she is trans.

Gack.
If you ask me, there should realy be a law that says that in cases like these (bigotery-inspired viollence), self-defense is presumed unless strong evidence can be given otherwise.

I'd settle for some evidence proving she did anything other than be trans.

Just out of interest, is there a common term for a transgender person that is thought of as being polite?

Not in my experience, not really. "Trans," works as does transgender I guess. You'd be surprised how often I hear people talk about it in unprintable ways right in front of me, because they haven't a clue.... Also, if I never hear another personal call a transgender person a "trap" again, it'll be too soon. The internet seems to love Admiral Akbar for his phrase, "It's a trap!" paired with a picture of a transsexual... [sigh].

Ah, star wars and discrimination. You can accept a six foot walking carpet who yodel howls instead of talking but not this? Meh.

The solution is an army of deathbot judges who will ensure the victorious party's demands are met.

Long as their are no deathbot lawyers I have no objections.

In other news, maybe he'll finally shut up now that he's getting hit in the wallet: http://news.yahoo.com/7th-advertiser-pulls-limbaughs-show-194641280.html
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:48:48 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 05, 2012, 12:00:44 am »

I'm not even sure if it helps any True, but most of the times I've seen "trap" used it's for a very specific fetish that doesn't have anything at all to do with transgendered individuals (though definitely has to do with crossdressers, quite often). Usually the kick seems to be from them being male, self identifying as male, but looking (and sometimes acting, to varying degrees) very much not. And then being buggered with varying degrees of consensuality (Which doesn't seem to be a word. Dibs!) but that's not particularly my kink so the details escape meee. Then again, I mostly run into it in relation to illustrated stuff, so it's probably got a slightly different taste to it in those circles.

The ackbar thing definitely went memetic, though, yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #178 on: March 05, 2012, 12:16:50 am »

Frumple got it right.

Personally I love the meme, but people do tend to mix up the various terms for everything inbetween men and women.

Between Futa, Trap, Transvestite, Transexual, Shemale, Kathoey, Ladyboy, Dickgirl, Transgender and Crossdresser there is a lot of room for confusion, especially for those(See: Most of the internet.) who just want to sit and fap infront of the screen every other night.

But calling a Trans anything a Trap is wrong, a Trap is a guy that is a guy that you think is a girl on first glance, hence the trap.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 05, 2012, 12:40:13 am »

The law of unintended consequences has once again come into effect....

Meh, I dunno. I'd just like to be like every other girl. [shrugs]. I've met a lot who do.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 759