Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1273641 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #9660 on: March 11, 2015, 03:22:13 pm »

“They either let our bill through, or we will attach it to legislation such as this,” Robinson said, adding that he likes the students’ superintendent bill but has to send a message to the Democratic leadership in the House. “You either sacrifice your own bill, or you pass what you should have passed to start with.”

Actual middle and high school students helped make this bill happen! They got bipartisan support for it somehow! That is really cool, and now the result of their work is jeopardized because politics.
The next twist is to pass the bill and have students fill all the superintendent positions with obstinate leftists.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9661 on: March 25, 2015, 07:43:11 am »

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:38:44 pm by penguinofhonor »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9662 on: March 25, 2015, 08:29:56 am »

Look America, you have great landscapes, plenty of great people, lots of history, lots of tech and such, but can you stop electing shitbags? It's like they look at all the candidates and choose the ones with the lowest intelligence to represent their party.

I am literally going to have a hernia if gop can't get it's goddamn shit together

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #9663 on: March 25, 2015, 11:38:27 am »

"Get it's shit together?" This IS it's shit. The GOP knows fully well whats it's doing and is quite proud of it. Don't expect any change any time soon, because you won't be seeing any.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9664 on: March 26, 2015, 03:45:26 am »

I just read in our Dutch newspaper that the state of Indiana now actually passed a law that allows companies to forbid gays from entering their business. It reminds me of second world war, when all the stores in the Netherlands were obliged to have a sign outside saying "VOOR JOODEN VERBODEN" (No Jews allowed).

What's this? Is this secretly part of the Iran nuclear deal or something? Like, Iran doesn't make nukes, if America bans gays?
I can see UN sanctions coming against the US for this. Maybe even airstrikes on Indiana. Damn backwater fundamentalist terrorist country.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:48:57 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9665 on: March 26, 2015, 03:51:45 am »

state laws don't got nothin to do with federal authority so long as they're not legalizing something that's federally illegal

even that's sometimes iffy, such as my state what with the weed legalization

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9666 on: March 26, 2015, 04:09:53 am »

I just read in our Dutch newspaper that the state of Indiana now actually passed a law that allows companies to forbid gays from entering their business. It reminds me of second world war, when all the stores in the Netherlands were obliged to have a sign outside saying "VOOR JOODEN VERBODEN" (No Jews allowed).

What's this? Is this secretly part of the Iran nuclear deal or something? Like, Iran doesn't make nukes, if America bans gays?
I can see UN sanctions coming against the US for this. Maybe even airstrikes on Indiana. Damn backwater fundamentalist terrorist country.

I agree this Indiana law is appalling, but before you go too far off the deep end please recall that you folks keep electing, for example, Geert Wilders.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9667 on: March 26, 2015, 04:11:52 am »

Looks like I stumbled into Panicking and Pessimistic Progressive Discussion thread again.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9668 on: March 26, 2015, 04:38:50 am »

I've really got to wonder how businesses are going to enforce any ban on gays.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9669 on: March 26, 2015, 04:40:53 am »

Show them pictures of John Green, Hulk Hogan and John Goodman and use an EEG to determine whether or not they're aroused, obviously. It's a practical solution to all your inscrutable customer selection problems.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9670 on: March 26, 2015, 04:48:12 am »

I agree this Indiana law is appalling, but before you go too far off the deep end please recall that you folks keep electing, for example, Geert Wilders.
Geert WIlders is an sociopathic manipulator, and yes, sadly, not just the Netherlands, but the entire European electorate has seen a not unsignificant part shift to populist glorious leader parties like Wilder's party. Luckily though, they are still a minority, and the one time they did manage to get into a government coalition in our country, it was over pretty quick.

Although part of their votes come from people that are islamophobic, or anti-immigration for more generic rascist reasons, the sad part is that a lot of their votes come from those people that would have traditionally voted for social democratic or left wing labour parties, but have been so desillusioned by either those parties never getting into a government coalition, or, if they do, completely shedding off their labour ideals just to please their more conservative coalition partners, that they abandoned their traditional voting preference.

A lot of people don't vote for Wilders because he's anti islam, but they vote for him because he promises better care for the elderly, better social benefits, and better wages for the underclass jobs.
And they vote for him because for some reason our media prints everything Wilders says page-wide, three times over, while if the same thing is said by the traditional social party, it doesn't even get half a column.

I know I've never voted for him and never will.

But yeah, if I had been serious with my UN airstrike remark, you would have had a good point. But did you really think I was serious there?
When will people ever learn that most things I write are studded with cynicism and encrusted with silly absurdism?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 04:50:59 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9671 on: March 26, 2015, 05:32:43 am »

No, I didn't think you were serious, since US has a security council veto on the airstrikes :D
Sorry for not taking a more light hearted tone in reply, I'm just kinda tired and didn't really mean to be super serious.  Although I appreciate your thoughtful response.

but they vote for him because he promises better care for the elderly, better social benefits, and better wages for the underclass jobs.

Yeah, sounds familiar.  (Well, here if you were a reactionary firebrand I think you'd promise medical care, lower taxes, and safety/liberty/guns.)  I'm living on the west coast of US at the moment, from where the mainstream politics of the country seem pretty strange, and vice versa.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9672 on: March 26, 2015, 08:02:28 am »

There's several states where that's perfectly legal, last I checked -- many of them don't have sexual orientation as a protected class, and most businesses in most places can refuse custom for any reason (including no reason) whatsoever. All selling and purchasing falls under contract law, and there are very few cases where you can force anyone into a contract, here in the states. You don't see that ability exercised very often, because money, but it's generally there.

Laws like the one you're seeing from indiana is mostly just idiots beating their chests to fire up their bigoted-as-fuck constituents by passing legislature that already existed, just with marginally different words stamped on it so their also often-undereducated supporters don't have to grasp the concept of "legal implications". The best thing to note is that by and large, despite this short-term gain by the homophobic asswipes, the general cultural trend against that bullshit is riding pretty strong -- another two or three decades and this crap will be old news, more likely than not, everywhere instead of just in most states.

Not the best comfort for people currently getting shat upon by these lackwits, but it's there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9673 on: March 26, 2015, 09:01:22 am »

Wait, does that mean I can deny service to homophobes? Or NRA members? Or Republicans? Interesting...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9674 on: March 26, 2015, 09:02:29 am »

If they're shirtless or lacking in shoes, yes ;]
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 759