Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1275375 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8730 on: November 20, 2014, 11:08:52 am »

Well, if you want the best study of all- try going without refined sugar (including corn syrup) for 2 weeks. Tell us how it goes.

I definitely know people who have done that without withdrawals.

Of course, you can psych yourself into having withdrawals from anything. I've seen sites decrying bread as the cause of all modern health problems full of people talking about how quit bread and went through bread withdrawals.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8731 on: November 20, 2014, 11:32:09 am »

Bread is sugar.

And I can't know if they meant drug-/alcohol-like withdrawal or just figuratively/exaggeratingly but I'd assume the later, as I myself fight a continuous struggle against my bread habits. Especially the one late in the evening. It's so hard not to give in.
Love, scriver~

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8732 on: November 20, 2014, 12:47:51 pm »

Bread is sugar.

These people didn't mention cutting out any other sugar. They were definitely not having sugar withdrawals.

And these were serious symptoms. People reported shaking, stomach aches, and nausea. Not just bread cravings.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8733 on: November 20, 2014, 12:52:00 pm »

Yeah... Hehe. Gonna assume their local bakery puts a little extra secret ingredient in his bread to keep the customers coming back ;)
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8734 on: November 20, 2014, 12:57:13 pm »

... y'know, I'm not saying it's what's happening, but it is a possibility that different physiologies are reacting in different ways, right? Iirc, you have something similar with salt -- some people have absolutely zero problem with a very substantial salt diet (and, in fact, suffer problems when they don't have it), but others aren't as tolerant. Maybe some portions of the population do experience bread withdrawals for some ungodly reason.

Sounds like something someone should do a straight up study on, honestly. Full blast, genetic tests and the whole shebang. Hell, maybe even keep up on neural activity during the process, see if there's something different going on there. They could just be noceboing themselves into suffering, but it's also possible there's something more substantial going on.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8735 on: November 20, 2014, 01:23:55 pm »

I am very skeptical when it comes to throwing that word around in the absence of strong withdrawal effects.
So cocaine isn't addictive?
There's psychological dependence as well as physical dependence, you know.
Nono, I'm just very skeptical. Cocaine & gambling are two I accept pretty readily, probably due to the obvious effects both of these can have on the lives of the afflicted, (bankruptcy, functional impairment, forfeiture of social/family connections). Which probably isn't the best/correct criteria.
My original assertion that 'it has a definition dude' probably wasn't the best choice of words...

Looking around, I'm getting the feeling that anything that activates the FosB reward system can be addicting. Which means 99% of the populace, -anyone that engages in anything rewarding-, are flirting with addiction or are addicts.
At that point the word kinda loses meaning.
Methinks the terminology needs to be redefined in the near future.

OI, did anyone get around to watching the whole video yet?!
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8736 on: November 20, 2014, 01:47:16 pm »

That's why people separate chemically/physiologically addictive from psychological addiction, dude.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8737 on: November 20, 2014, 01:56:11 pm »

Pretty much everyone's addicted to something. It's just that cocaine will fuck you up way more than coffee will.

As a side note, has anyone read that news stories about those noodle restaurants in China that kept business up by slipping opiates into their noodles?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:58:26 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8738 on: November 20, 2014, 02:03:58 pm »

That's why people separate chemically/physiologically addictive from psychological addiction, dude.
Humbug dude. The distinction is hardly made and the actual meaning/implication of the two isn't ever elaborated on. 'Addiction' is a catch-all buzzword that equates heroine dependency with compulsive gambling and even regular excercise.

Hah, doesn't china have really strict drug laws?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8739 on: November 20, 2014, 02:14:44 pm »

... what? No, there... there's fairly significant differences between a physical addiction and a psychological addiction. Among other things, the former's withdrawal symptoms can actually kill you. The latter only makes you want to die, at worst. Going cold turkey from gambling isn't going to cause your heart to stop. Going cold turkey from some chemically addictive substances will.

I mean, yeah, general parlance doesn't differentiate too readily, but there's a pretty damned significant difference in regards to treatment and medical/psychiatric consideration.
Ask not!
Ask!

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8740 on: November 20, 2014, 02:45:32 pm »

I'm railing against the general parlance/use in the media. As a label 'addictive' is borked.
Badges of honor

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8741 on: November 20, 2014, 02:46:28 pm »

Ah. Yeah, more or less.
Ask not!
Ask!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8742 on: November 20, 2014, 03:07:06 pm »

... y'know, I'm not saying it's what's happening, but it is a possibility that different physiologies are reacting in different ways, right? Iirc, you have something similar with salt -- some people have absolutely zero problem with a very substantial salt diet (and, in fact, suffer problems when they don't have it), but others aren't as tolerant. Maybe some portions of the population do experience bread withdrawals for some ungodly reason.

Sounds like something someone should do a straight up study on, honestly. Full blast, genetic tests and the whole shebang. Hell, maybe even keep up on neural activity during the process, see if there's something different going on there. They could just be noceboing themselves into suffering, but it's also possible there's something more substantial going on.

I mean... I guess it's not impossible.  But I'd want more reasoning than some corner of the internet claiming they experience something before I'd say it's worth investigation. Bread addiction is something I'm comfortable writing off as psychosomatic.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8743 on: November 20, 2014, 07:35:24 pm »

I'm railing against the general parlance/use in the media. As a label 'addictive' is borked.
The problem is that it's binary. We really should start giving out evaluating addictiveness, on a scale from 0 to 1 for example.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8744 on: November 28, 2014, 08:43:37 am »

I saw a bit of Obama's speech on immigration reform just now. It'll be good news if they start normalizing more undocumented residents, and they've made clear pretty stringent conditions for it to apply, 5+ years residency, no criminal record, have kids who are citizens or who have lived here most of their lives, and whatever else I forget.

Conservatives are convinced the whole deal is nothing but a vote grab on Obama's part. Ignoring the fact that the timing wouldn't make even a lick of sense for that.

Obama asked a good question: would we really want to live in an America which rounded up 10-20 million people and put them in camps, including mothers and their children? Because the options are, (1) go full Stalin on these peasants or (2) fix their residency papers, or (3) continue to do nothing about it. The opposition politicians are firmly in the "do nothing" camp, because they know (1) is crazy, and they don't want to do (2) because their voter base are rednecks.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:53:08 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 759