Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1275702 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8505 on: October 01, 2014, 12:31:11 pm »

Ah, yeah, I agree. Not quite what I meant. I mean "open to the public" as in reporters and tv crews and it's all televised and it's a big show, versus "open to the public" as in the records are there and if you're curious you can come in and watch.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as it becomes more and more of a media spectacle/circus, the chance of anything getting done approaches nil.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8506 on: October 03, 2014, 12:46:41 pm »

Facebook recently deleted the accounts of a bunch of LGBT people and drag queens, supposedly because they weren't using their real name. They have since reversed this, said it was an accident, apologized, and have clarified that the policy means the name you go by, not your legal name.

The coverage of this is making me angry though. It's all focusing in a couple of drag queens with especially ridiculous names, when the drag queens are the least important group affected here. I mean, you should be able to make a Facebook account for your drag persona under your stage name. But your ability to do that is not as important as a trans person trying to use Facebook as their preferred gender that they live as. But your article gets a lot more hits if you make it about Lil Ms. Hot Mess so those kids can just settle for being "and some other people".

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8507 on: October 03, 2014, 03:49:30 pm »

I still don't understand why people need to have an "excuse" for not using their real name on a Facebook. Was there really an epidemic (with an actual consequence) of people using names other than their legal? Like, my Facebook name isn't my legal name...

(Yes I am aware of impersonation, but that's... not the same thing...?)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8508 on: October 03, 2014, 11:22:40 pm »

because facebook makes mad cashdolla selling your data, so it makes giving them wrong data verboten

it's that simple

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8509 on: October 05, 2014, 04:29:15 am »

because facebook makes mad cashdolla selling your data, so it makes giving them wrong data verboten

it's that simple
Yep. Honestly the LGBT slant on this issue takes backseat to the fact that Facebook itself needs to die for its unethical ways.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8510 on: October 05, 2014, 11:08:30 am »

No, that's a separate conversation.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8511 on: October 05, 2014, 09:21:17 pm »

Colorado students walk out to protest conservative ‘censorship’ of AP history

A bit old now, but I've had a hellishly busy last couple weeks.  Haven't been able to keep up with my web reading.

Interestingly, the only civil disobedience I remember learning about in school was the women's suffrage and civil rights movements.  Absolutely nothing about labor.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8512 on: October 05, 2014, 10:52:58 pm »

Wow. "Well, it might be true, but it doesn't send the message I want."
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8513 on: October 06, 2014, 09:00:32 am »

That link has a wealth of cute little RAGE-inducing quotes.

The right-leaning board-members said they believe history teachers should teach nationalism, respect for authority and reverence for free markets. They should avoid teaching any historical events or acts that promote “civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law.”

While the narrative may be “historically true,” he argues, “progressives are going to be the heroes in this narrative.”
“What we have here is a repetition of a theme: There’s another problem, the progressives come to the rescue, and who are the villains?” he said. “Well, American companies are the villains, of course.”

I'm glad they're protesting, I'd join them.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8514 on: October 06, 2014, 09:09:23 am »

And corporations. The republican party at large officially favors two of those three.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8515 on: October 06, 2014, 11:58:58 am »

Funny, I thought they favoured all three...

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8516 on: October 06, 2014, 12:26:06 pm »

Retired New Jersey history teacher Larry S. Krieger told Newsweek, “As I read through the document, I saw a consistently negative view of American history that highlights oppressors and exploiters.”
Hahaha, no shit, it's almost like American history is pretty damn negative and consists of a great deal of oppressors and exploiters.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8517 on: October 06, 2014, 05:39:39 pm »

reverence for free markets.
Creepy wording there. Also... kind of interesting? I can't imagine that trying to force children to like free market systems by getting to them early is at all in line with free market ideals.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8518 on: October 06, 2014, 05:41:55 pm »

"Free Market", in this case, means "Anything that favors Big Business." So it's perfectly in line.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8519 on: October 06, 2014, 06:00:57 pm »

No, that's a separate conversation.
Two are one and the same, dividing them only serves to force people into arguing for their own reduction into a commodity as a good thing.
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 759