Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1273958 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4170 on: December 08, 2012, 06:08:51 pm »

I guess when they built the interstates, that was a waste of money?
Of course not, building the interstates was a military project to ensure fast movement against foreign communist aggressors, the combat of which is the duty of all citizens. You do want us to beat the communists, don't you citizen?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: December 08, 2012, 06:19:50 pm »

http://www.richblockspoorblocks.com/

This is pretty interesting. You put in the city and state and the site will show you a map that shows the average household income of the area, compared to the state average. You can click each area to get an exact figure.

Here's Detroit

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Charlotte, NC

Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: December 08, 2012, 06:48:00 pm »

It's interesting seeing the ranges of wealth for different states as well.

Minneapolis-Saint Paul

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: December 08, 2012, 08:37:24 pm »

The median income is about 53,000 dollars, there's no way that welfare payouts match that.
I know. But I can not find any refutation of the shit that is being spewed.

The Internet has a place where you can obtain aaaaall the information you will ever need to refute claims like that one:
http://factfinder2.census.gov
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: December 09, 2012, 04:00:29 am »

So tax breaks for lower-income working folks are welfare, but we're not allowed to call tax breaks for the rich as welfare?
Of course not, being a waste to society is only for those....poor folk.

Jeeves! More gold flake champagne!

Its also interesting that they are not counting those people receiving income tax breaks as welfare recipients, while calling the tax breaks they get welfare. That is how they manage to push that number so high.
"Atlus shrugged?

More like Atlus subcontracted his globe holding responsibilities to cheap Chinese labor and  whined a lot."
(from a comment on that debunking article)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: December 09, 2012, 11:37:10 am »

Those maps are pretty awesome, although for the two cities I've lived in, they aren't that precise. Partly because the presence of college students makes a lot of really fancy areas look like ghettoes, and partly because in Philadelphia, everything is so block-by-block that this just can't capture it. You can have blocks with mansions two number-streets away from lower-middle-class rowhomes or projects.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: December 09, 2012, 12:36:36 pm »

http://www.richblockspoorblocks.com/

This is pretty interesting. You put in the city and state and the site will show you a map that shows the average household income of the area, compared to the state average. You can click each area to get an exact figure.

Here's Detroit

Charlotte, NC

Damn shame there isn't one of those for Canada.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Glubags

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: December 09, 2012, 01:26:32 pm »

I always find it interesting that most old river port cities have developed in such a way that the poor tend to dwell around the former main port of commerce (riverside areas which generally have the oldest housing/infrastructure in the city; also often the cheapest and most poorly maintained area) while the wealthy have spread out to the surrounding countryside as the city expands and the riverside areas are rendered nearly obsolete in terms of economic importance to the city.  Several cities and towns here in the southeastern US are founded on rivers that are now lined mostly with slums and dying industry... those income distribution maps reflect it well.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: December 09, 2012, 01:31:34 pm »

Lots of cities in the EU, and particular the UK, have got around this problem (Known as "Hole in the Donut", also visible in towns where the inner city heavy industries has long since moved out) by means of agressive redevelopment - level the old dockside buildings and replace with convention centres, stadia, buisness parks and expensive apartment block housing.
This is a blank sig.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: December 09, 2012, 01:35:45 pm »

That's what's generally called gentrification, right? At least in Germany, many people complain about it, saying that gentrification destroys the old neighborhoods.
(There's this hilarious book about a guy who lives in Berlin together with a communist kangoroo; he claims that if you know the term, you're part of it :D )
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Glubags

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: December 09, 2012, 01:40:25 pm »

That's what's currently happening in my wonderful port city of Montgomery, AL.  Recent developments include a new baseball stadium on the river, several old warehouse buildings have been redeveloped into rather expensive lofts and the like, the creation of more opportunities for small businesses with rezoning and agreeable leasing rates.  Still a long way to go, but the difference even in the last 5 years is pretty remarkable.  I'm afraid it's all cyclical and unsustainable, though.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the area back to a state of neglect before I'm gone.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: December 09, 2012, 01:43:50 pm »

Some times it works, some times it doesn't. Cardiff is a much nicer city since the bay area was turned from a slummy wasteland into a pretty nice commerical area. I was at the old docks in Liverpool last week, which has had a similar process done to it, but it felt empty of life and very soulless - there are only so many car parks a city can make use of.
This is a blank sig.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: December 09, 2012, 01:45:31 pm »

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 11:09:40 am by penguinofhonor »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: December 11, 2012, 06:13:14 am »

Another amazing internet security bill, this time in the UK! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20668953
Of course, that's before we get to foreign players recieving cultural lessons in order to stop racism. I'm struggiling to see why anyone bothers with proffesional football at this point. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20672812
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 759