Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1273092 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #3690 on: October 15, 2012, 03:36:36 pm »

So currency is free-market too?

How does that even?
My wooden badge was delicious.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3691 on: October 15, 2012, 03:44:40 pm »

And now for something less rage inducing?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/erin-dimeglio-florida-first-female-qb-her-school-105141507.html

Admittedly, she isn't the first string qb. But still, first female quarterback in Florida varsity football.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: October 15, 2012, 03:54:08 pm »

So currency is free-market too?
How does that even?

There are several free market currencies. Not all money is fiat money. Corporate script, gold/silver/previous metals in general, bitcoin, are the classic examples.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: October 15, 2012, 04:02:38 pm »

Those Liberty Dollars seem to have been targeted for being too similar to US currencies. Other currencies like Phoenix Dollars, which are also backed by precious metals, never got targeted by the law.

But Phoenix Dollars are actually a physical ounce of silver, whilst Liberty Dollars are worthless paper and coins that a company nominally guarantees for an amount of precious metals. There are ALL sorts of scams you could pull with that. e.g. just like fractional reserve banking, there is no actual need to hold the gold/silver to back every Liberty Dollar in existence, since a Liberty Dollar for example is defined as being worth a certain amount of gold, if anyone tries to cash in too much Liberty Dollars at once, the company can just trade for more gold with new Liberty Dollars effectively setting up a type of Ponzi scheme. As long as you can get enough people to accept the "face value" of a Liberty Dollar it turns into an infinite money pump.

And then you just hire yourselves as consultants, pay yourselves in whatever hard currencies are coming in plus millions of Liberty Dollars, and pass those off. When the whole thing collapses due to not having enough reserve, then you abandon the shell company with massive debts, and retire rich.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:13:38 pm by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: October 15, 2012, 04:08:20 pm »

(don't use bitcoins unless you like losing all your money)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: October 15, 2012, 04:23:20 pm »

But then it's like you're surrendering your soul to the Man, man.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: October 15, 2012, 05:04:31 pm »

Those Liberty Dollars seem to have been targeted for being too similar to US currencies. Other currencies like Phoenix Dollars, which are also backed by precious metals, never got targeted by the law.

But Phoenix Dollars are actually a physical ounce of silver, whilst Liberty Dollars are worthless paper and coins that a company nominally guarantees for an amount of precious metals. There are ALL sorts of scams you could pull with that. e.g. just like fractional reserve banking, there is no actual need to hold the gold/silver to back every Liberty Dollar in existence, since a Liberty Dollar for example is defined as being worth a certain amount of gold, if anyone tries to cash in too much Liberty Dollars at once, the company can just trade for more gold with new Liberty Dollars effectively setting up a type of Ponzi scheme. As long as you can get enough people to accept the "face value" of a Liberty Dollar it turns into an infinite money pump.

And then you just hire yourselves as consultants, pay yourselves in whatever hard currencies are coming in plus millions of Liberty Dollars, and pass those off. When the whole thing collapses due to not having enough reserve, then you abandon the shell company with massive debts, and retire rich.

So they were arrested for having the ability to do something that governments and state-chartered banks have done for literally centuries (and continue to do to this very day)?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: October 15, 2012, 05:04:58 pm »

But then it's like you're surrendering your soul to the Man, man.
I know someone who spent 10k on a buttcoin mining rig, we still laugh about it in his face.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: October 15, 2012, 05:13:40 pm »

Assuming they haven't caught fire he might at least be able to host a decent gaming night with all those graphics cards.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: October 15, 2012, 05:14:35 pm »

[...] if anyone tries to cash in too much Liberty Dollars at once, the company can just trade for more gold with new Liberty Dollars effectively setting up a type of Ponzi scheme. As long as you can get enough people to accept the "face value" of a Liberty Dollar it turns into an infinite money pump.
[...]

Same thing is true for the US Dollar. (which the US government has by far not enough gold to cover for)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 05:18:31 pm by lorb »
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: October 15, 2012, 05:17:23 pm »

Well... actually, no. You can't have a run on the US dollar, because it's not backed by a material good you could exchange it for. And when it was, we COULD actually back it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 05:41:17 pm by GlyphGryph »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: October 15, 2012, 05:37:15 pm »

A big difference between federal currency and a private one is that a private shell company could issue piles of currency then declare bankruptcy, the directors have already cleared out all the profits, and the currency is completely worthless overnight. The more of their "currency" gets circulated, the greater the temptation to default.

Governments by their nature have a degree of continuity, a collapse of confidence in the current US Administration doesn't render all US Dollars in circulation 100% worthless overnight.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: October 15, 2012, 05:46:38 pm »

So they were arrested for having the ability to do something that governments and state-chartered banks have done for literally centuries (and continue to do to this very day)?
Yes, and if you show up at a UN meeting pretending to be the President you get kicked out, even though you're doing exactly the same thing the government is allowed to do with no repercussions. Is this a sign of a fair and just society? I think not!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: October 15, 2012, 06:07:45 pm »

Tesco's had the nerve to drag me out (using physical force!  If I had used a gun to defend my rights they might have even shot me!) of one of their board meetings!  Apparently I'm not allowed to sit in the CEO's chair and talk about how I'm going to run the company even though they have been doing the same thing for years (and continue to do to this very day).  They are just like the mafia, not allowing any competition.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: October 15, 2012, 06:09:12 pm »

But you're the KING of the mafia! They should listen to you!
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 759