Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1274202 times)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #315 on: March 08, 2012, 04:14:04 am »

I'll sprinkle some calm and cool fairy dust onto the above post by reminding people that there is no ill will intended at all-- pointing out someone is wrong, having a discussion with them at all, is an implicit indication that you take the person seriously enough to want to convince them of something.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 08, 2012, 04:20:23 am »

I'm thinking of going outside, and putting a bar at the entrance to the thread, with a sign saying 'You must be this chill to enter!'

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 08, 2012, 04:24:36 am »

I think the better goal would be to make this place a temple of chill where all are free to come and be refreshed.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 08, 2012, 04:26:25 am »

While we post links that a more religious man would consider proof of the oncoming biblical reckoning? Yea, that will work...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 08, 2012, 04:30:31 am »

I only made the above post in response to criptfiend going "meta-discussion" on us and claiming the moral high-ground. Not intended to start a flame-war, but what may come, may come. Last thing, criptfiend has started to nitpick on punctuation (while still managing to make himself look like a victim by nitpicking Capntastic's paraphrase, with criptfiend deliberately pretending he can't tell a quote from a paraphrase).

Seriously, we're being trolled.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:32:41 am by Reelya »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 08, 2012, 04:32:00 am »

Let's change subjects then.  Go back and discuss the effort posts I made last night, about GSCI speculation.   There's some meat there I'd like to yell about. 

Edit:  I'm not too keen on railing against Criptfiend on the whole punctuation/paraphrasing bits because I'm pretty sure he's not a native English speaker.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:34:01 am by Capntastic »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 08, 2012, 04:36:00 am »

Cript is American, I'm pretty sure.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 08, 2012, 04:38:35 am »

If that's the case then, well, my apologies I guess.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 08, 2012, 11:25:37 am »

This discussion about Gingrich falling asleep is over.

Ironically, I was asleep for the last stretch of it or I would have ended it sooner.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 08, 2012, 12:00:30 pm »

Snoozegate basically ran its course.

http://news.yahoo.com/sandra-fluke-her-role-contraception-controversy-again-110000215.html and Fox News has taken to calling her a "liberal plant," because any failure shall be spun.... It couldn't possibly be that some sexist old guy was sexist, or if he was, then it was the equivalent of entrapment. She simply must have set him up.... ::) Really?

Let's change subjects then.  Go back and discuss the effort posts I made last night, about GSCI speculation.   There's some meat there I'd like to yell about. 

The idea of funneling money to places it needs invested is a good idea and it works, in theory. In reality, there are a ton of things that can go wrong and we're so in love with the theory that we deny the existence of its flaws. Wall St. be damned, financial markets work best when heavily regulated with well designed rules aimed at stability. Saying we should just ... let things go where they will due to some imaginary invisible hand is irresponsible in the extreme. The invisible hand exists, but real hands exist even more and who are we kidding, those real hands reach into the til or just plain old don't get it sometimes. Then we have a "correction," or a nice big loss, which none of the economics text books talk about in great detail....

That doesn't even start on the secondary effects and the feedback loop where it all becomes a vicious cycle....

Commodities futures markets are not a bad thing and I've explained before how it was a sort of ... I guess you could call in "insurance" in a non technical sense. They guaranteed a farmer a certain price, thus insulating the food producers from price shocks. This is wonderful. But, then people came along and sought to maximize the profits beyond reason and promptly ruined it.

It's to the point where, we aren't going off price value, we're going off "perception." This is why every time something happens anywhere, the price of oil goes up despite demand being weak and supply being high in the US. If things are bad now and gas is $3.75-$4.00/gallon, then what the crap is it going to be when things get good? We're going to be talking $5-$6/gallon minimum then (if that doesn't kill any economic recovery we might have). Drilling for more oil won't help when the problem is commodities speculation. The US has lots of oil, and we're currently exporting it after we put it through our refineries. There is positively no logic as to why the price is going up.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 08, 2012, 07:12:46 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/family-florida-boy-killed-neighborhood-watch-seeks-arrest-044537742.html

???

How is this guy not arrested? They have all the probable cause in the world: dead body and he admits to shooting the kid. The only issue is "possible" self defense. A.) based on what?, B.) totally disproportionate use of force C.) So we're just gonna take his word for it and let him roam around a bit for now?

Also: "'Why is this kid suspicious in the first place? I think a stereotype must have been placed on the kid,' Crump said." Black kid visits gated community (where family lives), gets reported as "suspicious" (no one says why), and the man who admits shooting him in the chest, is not arrested....

[sigh]
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 09, 2012, 01:16:06 pm »

So, I know the argument is over, and I sorta agree it might as well be a good thing, but I did want to clear up one or two things.

1: I am a American and my first language is American English. There are a few reasons I type oddly, but foremost among them is that I am unable to spell.

2: When talking to people I both assume that they are the same level of intelligence as me, and that they follow the same thought processes, I do this because I feel that avoiding being condescending/(what ever the opposite of condescending is) or even more confusing is worth what confusion I feel it might cause.

3: I do not put hidden agendas in my words, I do avoid saying many things because I am a non verbal communicator, but nothing in contradiction or opposition to my meaning. IE: I do not "play the victim" or "troll."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 09, 2012, 02:19:10 pm »

Just gonna watch, as I did in the previous thread.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 09, 2012, 08:57:32 pm »

The latest broadside on the "Sandra Fluke" story is this "she lied about her age" meme. Or someone lied. Probably in the "liberal media".

Whoopsie: Georgetown’s 23 year old “Coed” Sandra Fluke Is actually a 30 Year-Old Women’s Rights Activist

The Democrat’s token abused 23 year old college coed is actually a 30 year-old hardcore women’s rights activist.   Sandra Fluke is also the past president of Law Students for Reproductive Justice.

But none of the echo-chamber articles can cite anywhere anyone made claims about her age at all. And they mock her being called a "coed" but that was Rush's line, not the "liberal media". Also, she mentioned on the very first video of her appearing before congress that she's representing LSRJ. And how's her age / time out of college even relevant to that when it's "law students for reproductive justice". So she obviously was in that while a law student.

Lot's of bloggers on yahoo have been citing this and saying "you libs just won't let this story die" lol. Which makes even less sense.

Hell, if she's 31 and can pass for 23, good luck to her.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:10:45 pm by Reelya »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 09, 2012, 09:01:57 pm »

"So these things nobody (except Rush) said about her turned out to be false. DAMN YOU LIEBERALS!"
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 759